The [Current Year] General Political/Salma Hayek discussion thread, part 4!!!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Why is the president trying to put a Chinese company back in business? ZTE, a company we sanctioned, which then then folded, after it was discovered that they were selling tech to both Iran and North Korea.
    ZTE suspended its main operations after the U.S. Commerce Department banned American companies from selling to the firm for seven years as punishment for ZTE breaking an agreement reached after it was caught illegally shipping U.S. goods to Iran.
    https://www.reuters.com/article/uk-...inas-zte-get-back-into-business-idUSKCN1IE0QI

What am I missing here?

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Good question. Why would the government want to help a chinese company sell stuff to iran and nk?

I wouldn't touch that stuff now if I were part of iran's or nk's leadership and wanted to keep some of my cards close in the big game.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    A little perspective

https://www.frontpagemag.com/fpm/265200/flashback-bill-clinton-gave-china-missile-matthew-vadum

FLASHBACK: BILL CLINTON GAVE CHINA MISSILE TECHNOLOGY
    Democrats intermittently talk tough about our enemies -- but only after aiding and comforting them.

Okay. So now explain how that perspective informs any explanation for this. Are you saying it’s some kind of tit for tat? What’s good for the goose...? Turnabout is fair play? How is it relevant? But Clinton?

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    Haven't seen Salma in a while. So here is the most impressive case of maintaining eye contact that I have ever seen.

boobs.gif

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    What does that have to do with what Trump said?

Now we are worried about jobs being lost in China?

A bit more research would reveal that the company in question sourced parts worth several billion dollars from around 200 US companies. Trump, as always, is worried about jobs in the US

From ABC, not exactly a friendly source, no?

https://abcnews.go.com/Technology/wireStory/trump-us-penalized-chinese-company-55140101

Trump tweeted Monday that ZTE "buys a big percentage of individual parts from U.S. companies."
    He wrote, "This is also reflective of the larger trade deal we are negotiating with China and my personal relationship" with Chinese President Xi Jinping.
    Shah said the issue had been "raised with the U.S. government and with our administration at various levels," and that Trump had asked Secretary Wilbur Ross to look into the matter "consistent with laws and regulations."
    "Obviously this is part of a very complex relationship between the United States and China that involves economic issues, national security issues and the like," he said.
    The dispute predates Trump's arrival in the Oval Office and the Commerce Department sanction was issued amid worsening trade tensions between the U.S. and China.

Support for ZTE from Trump rippled through U.S. markets at the opening bell Monday as tech companies that do business with ZTE reversed some of their losses from last month.
    Optical components maker Acacia Communications jumped 11 percent and optical communications company Oclaro rose 6.8 percent. Fiber optic component supplier Finisar gained 2.3 percent and chipmaker Xilinx added 3.8 percent

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Okay. So now explain how that perspective informs any explanation for this. Are you saying it’s some kind of tit for tat? What’s good for the goose...? Turnabout is fair play? How is it relevant? But Clinton?

I am contrasting a president who approved the transfer of technology with honest-to-God national security and military usefulness, and his treatment in the press and by progressive adherents (including those on INGO) with the treatment of a president who is facilitating the purchase of industrial produce of the US (with no technology transfer or Chinese partnership required, a straight purchase agreement) by a foreign consumer technology company. I am pointing out that ZTE was found to simply be doing business with DPRK and Iran, not transferring technology, and if doing business with Iran is such a death sentence, whither the EU

I am suggesting the disproportionate response is more "but Trump" than "but Clinton", same as it always is

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Ohhhh.... now this ZTE thing makes sense:

The Chinese government is extending a $500 million loan to a state-owned construction company to build an Indonesian theme park that will feature a Trump-branded golf course and hotels.
    https://www.nationalreview.com/news/china-contributing-500-million-trump-linked-project-indonesia/

This occurred 72 hours before the president's ZTE announcement. Maybe it's on the up and up. Apparently this was being negotiated prior to the president's election. Maybe it's not on the up and up. China really isn't losing out on anything, and could only possibly benefit from giving a Trump business a little "nudge" to see if it might pay dividends from the US government.

I'll remind that ZTE is... or rather was considered a security risk, and had been, against sanctions, selling to Iran and North Korea. I'll also remind that, initially, the president said nothing, that I saw, about the benefit to American workers/companies by helping to re-establish ZTE, only the benefits to China. I'm sure there are... or rather were a few Carrier employees that are scratching their heads.

Needless to say, you'd think some people would be asking some questions to get to the bottom of this strange deal.

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    Ohhhh.... now this ZTE thing makes sense:

https://www.nationalreview.com/news/china-contributing-500-million-trump-linked-project-indonesia/

This occurred 72 hours before the president's ZTE announcement. Maybe it's on the up and up. Apparently this was being negotiated prior to the president's election. Maybe it's not on the up and up. China really isn't losing out on anything, and could only possibly benefit from giving a Trump business a little "nudge" to see if it might pay dividends from the US government.

I'll remind that ZTE is... or rather was considered a security risk, and had been, against sanctions, selling to Iran and North Korea. I'll also remind that, initially, the president said nothing, that I saw, about the benefit to American workers/companies by helping to re-establish ZTE, only the benefits to China. I'm sure there are... or rather were a few Carrier employees that are scratching their heads.

Needless to say, you'd think some people would be asking some questions to get to the bottom of this strange deal.

Most certainly, they ask about every other little thing. This is strange.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom