Not open for further replies.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Been watching the "Decade" series on Netflix. Seventies, eighties, and nineties. Every summary of politics is just mirroring today. It's all the same, what's happening now is nothing new at all, not unique at all.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Been watching the "Decade" series on Netflix. Seventies, eighties, and nineties. Every summary of politics is just mirroring today. It's all the same, what's happening now is nothing new at all, not unique at all.

But it is seriously amplified but the 24/7 MST agenda mill. I grew up through all of those decades. No where near as intense.

nonobaddog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    Tropical Minnesota
    But it is seriously amplified but the 24/7 MST agenda mill. I grew up through all of those decades. No where near as intense.

Exactly - that show must be BS. I've been around a long time too, those decades and more, and if they are saying it is all the same they are simply crammed full of it. I don't know why they would lie like that and I don't care either.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Exactly - that show must be BS. I've been around a long time too, those decades and more, and if they are saying it is all the same they are simply crammed full of it. I don't know why they would lie like that and I don't care either.

No, they aren't saying it, because they were made years ago.

They're showing what politicians were saying and doing, and even during Clinton... the GOP considered him illegitimate, and wanted Starr to impeach even though they knew it was nonsense reasons.

There are a lot of similarities between Trump and Clinton's presidency.

Clinton became a lot more popular after the "impeachment" hearings.

Accusations against him seemed pretty political, like the ones against Trump and Kavanaugh.

GOP then feels a lot like the Democrats now.

Last edited:

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    The proper ratio of politics to Selma is not right. I mean. It's okay to post already posted elsewhere pics.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish

Watching it on a show is not the same as living it. Documentaries typically have an agenda. I've not seen that one, but it's not portraying reality if you come away thinking that it's same ole stuff, different year. This is dialed to 11. That was maybe a 4 in comparison.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Watching it on a show is not the same as living it. Documentaries typically have an agenda. I've not seen that one, but it's not portraying reality if you come away thinking that it's same ole stuff, different year. This is dialed to 11. That was maybe a 4 in comparison.

If it had an agenda, it should be left-leaning... being made by CNN. But it doesn't feel that way. It's pretty fair to the GOP of the time, and even critical of the Democrat presidents they showcase. Even the media during Clinton, people that are hard-left now, were trashing him.

No, I'm making my opinion on my own. I'm seeing what they were doing and saying, and finding exact examples of it today. Even back during Reagan, just the same issues being debated. Same cycles being played out.

Even the people of the time seemed to do the exact same fake outrage over issues. Why would CNN want to show that? They aren't saying it, I'm just seeing it.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish

They're showing what politicians were saying and doing, and even during Clinton... the GOP considered him illegitimate, and wanted Starr to impeach even though they knew it was nonsense reasons.

Accusations against him seemed pretty political, like the ones against Trump and Kavanaugh.

This is correct. The GOP felt like they were robbed in '92 by Ross Perot's candidacy. It's a bit different now, because Hillary and Democrats felt robbed because they believe the Russians ruined it for her. In reality, Hillary ruined her own election. She didn't have to act like she was hiding something. She didn't have to destroy evidence. There'd have never been an investigation after which Comey does a national press conference outlining all her evils but coming short of an indictment. She didn't HAVE to avoid flyover country, the very states that cost her the election. SHE did that.

Republicans complained about things that were out of their control. The economy sucked and Bush was blamed for it. People who didn't want Bush voted for someone else. Some for Perot. Most for Clinton,

So in both cases it was sour grapes. But the sourness is dialed to 11 now vs then.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    If it had an agenda, it should be left-leaning... being made by CNN. But it doesn't feel that way. It's pretty fair to the GOP of the time, and even critical of the Democrat presidents they showcase. Even the media during Clinton, people that are hard-left now, were trashing him.

No, I'm making my opinion on my own. I'm seeing what they were doing and saying, and finding exact examples of it today. Even back during Reagan, just the same issues being debated. Same cycles being played out.

Even the people of the time seemed to do the exact same fake outrage over issues. Why would CNN want to show that? They aren't saying it, I'm just seeing it.

I haven't seen it so I don't know what they're trying to say. But, if you come away thinking it's the same, they're not portraying it accurately. That's all I'm saying.

I think the difference is social media. People are way more in bubbles than I ever recall them being. There were only regional bubbles. Now, it's social bubbles and it's still regional, but not nearly like it was.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    By way of further explanation, Clinton was also pretty much a centrist. Not necessarily principled, but he understood that - at that time - being too far left would be a loser deal.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I haven't seen it so I don't know what they're trying to say. But, if you come away thinking it's the same, they're not portraying it accurately. That's all I'm saying.

I think the difference is social media. People are way more in bubbles than I ever recall them being. There were only regional bubbles. Now, it's social bubbles and it's still regional, but not nearly like it was.

It's the same in that... the issues are the same, the outrages are the same, the debates are the same, the takedown tactics are the same, the lies are the same, the public feelings are the same, and the results are the same.

Not nitpicking the "level" of each of these things... but all the things being talked about since the 80s are things being talked about today, and the two sides involved are doing all the same things they were doing then, and very little comes out of it. That's why I'm really not worried at all about these impeachment hearings or anyone getting assblasted over Trump. 4 years will pass, and we'll move on to the next part of the repeating cycle of nothing

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    About the GOP then. It was driven mostly by Evangelical ideologues. The "moral majority" kind of thing. That faction was very powerful in the GOP. And a lot of Republicans had to [STRIKE]tow[/STRIKE] toe lines they didn't necessarily agree with, much like it is with the Democrats today. I think Evangelical factions completely lost power when the TEA Party died a useful death. They have zero power now. Now for the GOP, if you're with the GOP, you have to be on board with Trump. Not a great thing. For the Democrats, you have to be bat **** crazy. Even Nancy Pelosi has to pretend she's crazier than she actually is (which is considerable).

Last edited:

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    About the GOP then. It was driven mostly by Evangelical ideologues. The "moral majority" kind of thing. That faction was very powerful in the GOP. And a lot of Republicans had to tow lines they didn't necessarily agree with, much like it is with the Democrats today. I think Evangelical factions completely lost power when the TEA Party died a useful death. They have zero power now. Now for the GOP, if you're with the GOP, you have to be on board with Trump. Not a great thing. For the Democrats, you have to be bat **** crazy. Even Nancy Pelosi has to pretend she's crazier than she actually is (which is considerable).

I tend to agree with GPIA7shunghgungng on this one. There are absolutely analogs across the generations, in terms of basic arguments.

I also disagree about what drove the GOP back then, but it really isn't worth arguing about since we probably just have different perspectives on it.

mmpsteve

Real CZ's have a long barrel!!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 14, 2016
    ..... formerly near the Wild Turkey
    It's the same in that... the issues are the same, the outrages are the same, the debates are the same, the takedown tactics are the same, the lies are the same, the public feelings are the same, and the results are the same.

Not nitpicking the "level" of each of these things... but all the things being talked about since the 80s are things being talked about today, and the two sides involved are doing all the same things they were doing then, and very little comes out of it. That's why I'm really not worried at all about these impeachment hearings or anyone getting assblasted over Trump. 4 years will pass, and we'll move on to the next part of the repeating cycle of nothing

Really? I don't recall the IRS taking sides in my lifetime. I don't recall the FBI, CIA, etc ... actively working to shield one side and attack the other side, in my lifetime. I'm sure you can point to similarities to times past, but can you point to a concerted effort like we've seen recently? Have you ever heard of FISA court abuses before recent events?

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Really? I don't recall the IRS taking sides in my lifetime. I don't recall the FBI, CIA, etc ... actively working to shield one side and attack the other side, in my lifetime. I'm sure you can point to similarities to times past, but can you point to a concerted effort like we've seen recently? Have you ever heard of FISA court abuses before recent events?

While not in my lifetime, I am familiar with the historic reality of the House Committee on UnAmerican Activities and J. Edgar Hoover's... flamboyant escapades.

Government agencies have been weaponized before for political gain.

nonobaddog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    Tropical Minnesota

I agree. The clinton impeachment was not justified in my opinion and was politically motivated. That is one aspect that does have a lot of similarities to today. That was in the late 90's - 1998.
    That hardly justifies saying the 70's, 80's and 90's were just like today. They were not.

mmpsteve

Real CZ's have a long barrel!!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 14, 2016
    ..... formerly near the Wild Turkey
    While not in my lifetime, I am familiar with the historic reality of the House Committee on UnAmerican Activities and J. Edgar Hoover's... flamboyant escapades.

Government agencies have been weaponized before for political gain.

Yea, that's almost an answer. Just like today's coup attempt. Oh, look, I used the wrong word. Tuff ****. And the FISA court abuses, aided by Comey, et al ...? But to illustrate your point:

[video=youtube;L6DkVsssnmQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6DkVsssnmQ[/video]

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    Remove the 24/7 media barrage and social media, and I think you would find things have not changed a whole lot.

It is no longer just a quick blurb on the evening news or an article in the paper. Today people are more plugged in and hear a lot more about this stuff. The highly partisan hyperbole that is added just increases the perception that it is so much worse.

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    About the GOP then. It was driven mostly by Evangelical ideologues. The "moral majority" kind of thing. That faction was very powerful in the GOP. And a lot of Republicans had to tow lines *they didn't necessarily agree with, much like it is with the Democrats today. I think Evangelical factions completely lost power when the TEA Party died a useful death. They have zero power now. Now for the GOP, if you're with the GOP, you have to be on board with Trump. Not a great thing. For the Democrats, you have to be bat **** crazy. Even Nancy Pelosi has to pretend she's crazier than she actually is (which is considerable).

*toe lines, not tow lines.

(copywright)

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom