• Status
    Not open for further replies.

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    Remove the 24/7 media barrage and social media, and I think you would find things have not changed a whole lot.

It is no longer just a quick blurb on the evening news or an article in the paper. Today people are more plugged in and hear a lot more about this stuff. The highly partisan hyperbole that is added just increases the perception that it is so much worse.

Agree. Paul Harvey was The conservative back then. And almost everyone liked Paul.

Can't say the same for Rush et al

Last edited:

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Remove the 24/7 media barrage and social media, and I think you would find things have not changed a whole lot.

It is no longer just a quick blurb on the evening news or an article in the paper. Today people are more plugged in and hear a lot more about this stuff. The highly partisan hyperbole that is added just increases the perception that it is so much worse.

Yeah, the divisiveness has grown, and the internet has made it so everyone has a voice now... so obviously we all see more of the screaming... but the politics itself is pretty business-as-usual.

The next Democrat president will have an impeachment campaign against him or her, from the GOP, 100%. There will absolutely be doomsayers on the Right (again) talking about how there'll be civil war (again), and how the election was stolen (again) from whoever the GOP candidate was.

We'll repeat this cycle forever, while each administration chips a little more away from our constitution, and regains nearly nothing that was lost.

nonobaddog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    Tropical Minnesota
    That reminds me - I read a rant in a comments section where the poster was complaining that the MSM was way too conservative and said only bad things about liberals. It didn't say which planet.

Last edited:

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009

Agree as well that it's the constant partisan hyperbolic barrage that has whipped this country into such a divisive frenzy.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    CNN Headline News basically originated the 24/7 news cycle, which has only amplified with social media.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    CNN Headline News basically originated the 24/7 news cycle, which has only amplified with social media.
    CNN HN was originally setup to give the news, freeing the main channel to have programming other than just straight news. The arrival of competition in the form of Foxnews and MSNBC brought ratings battles. The loss of viewers from the regular networks got them into the fray, with all of them trying to grab viewers and now clicks. That brings the hyperbole and rush to be the first, which has quickly eroded any journalistic integrity they had.

ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    pffftttt.... the media is just a reflection of what has been pushed for decades.

Progressives have been working to undermine freedom for the last 100 years in America. It has been systematic and inexorable. They have taken over policing, the law, education, the military, labor, crop production, and soon the medical industry. They have already laid the groundwork to take over energy, which will happen in the next 20 years or so. Completely socialized medicine will happen in less than 10 years.

The media is just the natural consequence of raising generations to believe that the more government we have the more better we'll be.

The Titanic is sinking gentlemen. I suggest getting a good seat and a glass of scotch.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I tend to agree with GPIA7shunghgungng on this one. There are absolutely analogs across the generations, in terms of basic arguments.

I also disagree about what drove the GOP back then, but it really isn't worth arguing about since we probably just have different perspectives on it.

Of course. My biggest disagreement is where the volume knob was in each generation.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    It's the same in that... the issues are the same, the outrages are the same, the debates are the same, the takedown tactics are the same, the lies are the same, the public feelings are the same, and the results are the same.

Not nitpicking the "level" of each of these things... but all the things being talked about since the 80s are things being talked about today, and the two sides involved are doing all the same things they were doing then, and very little comes out of it. That's why I'm really not worried at all about these impeachment hearings or anyone getting assblasted over Trump. 4 years will pass, and we'll move on to the next part of the repeating cycle of nothing

Was thinking about this too. A big difference between the two is the use of the mob. And again, I think that's because of social media. It's really easy to direct the mob to cancel a person. Back then we didn't have people getting canceled like that. So, I do agree that there were similarities, and a lot of people running the same mental algorithms then as now. But the tools have changed which exacerbate all of that and makes for a widely different experience.

olhorseman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 11, 2013
    Middle of nowhere NC
    When a politician screws up their supporters always sound like a gang banger's mom: "He was a good boy", "He was just turning things around", "He just fell in with the wrong people", etc., etc.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    pffftttt.... the media is just a reflection of what has been pushed for decades.

Progressives have been working to undermine freedom for the last 100 years in America. It has been systematic and inexorable. They have taken over policing, the law, education, the military, labor, crop production, and soon the medical industry. They have already laid the groundwork to take over energy, which will happen in the next 20 years or so. Completely socialized medicine will happen in less than 10 years.

The media is just the natural consequence of raising generations to believe that the more government we have the more better we'll be.

The Titanic is sinking gentlemen. I suggest getting a good seat and a glass of scotch.

No time for that. There are deck chairs that need rearranging! ;)

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    Yes, those nasty progressives. Cleaned up Chicago meat packing. Eliminated child labor. Made industries safer for workers. And (shudder) got women the vote. Izzat you, Chet?

12n02uk456q11.jpg

Hatin Since 87

Bacon Hater
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2018
    Mooresville
    And what have you done for anyone? Hmmm?

Seeing as how you’re not my God I really don’t need to give you a list hoping for your approval, as if you’re of some higher morality than me anyways :rolleyes:

Secondly, I’m not a politician that was elected to make their city a better place am I? Hmmmmmmmmm?

nonobaddog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    Tropical Minnesota
    Yes, those nasty progressives. Cleaned up Chicago meat packing. Eliminated child labor. Made industries safer for workers. And (shudder) got women the vote. Izzat you, Chet?

Abortion eliminates child labor too, and it works for the mother as well as the child so it must be twice as good.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    florez30
    Top Bottom