The DOJ took Cody Wilson's "DEFCAD" 3D-print gun site down. Cody sued, and won.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    It's good that ITAR is getting scaled back, but I don't get the leap to it's some death knell for gun control. You can find the recipe for meth pretty easily, and folks who can't figure out how to get out of the trailer park can figure out how to make it yet we still have "meth control".

s-l300.jpg

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I haven't looked and probably shouldn't go there on a work computer...does anybody know the size of the files? I guess they're in some sort of G-code format (or whatever modern CNCs read now).

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    It's good that ITAR is getting scaled back, but I don't get the leap to it's some death knell for gun control. You can find the recipe for meth pretty easily, and folks who can't figure out how to get out of the trailer park can figure out how to make it yet we still have "meth control".

Pssst, copper, you're losing the Drug War. The people that will be downloading guns (and smuggling them) won't be the kind living in trailer parks.

It is so bad that people have to buy meth and smelt it down to treat their allergies.

russc2542

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 24, 2015
    Columbus
    I haven't looked and probably shouldn't go there on a work computer...does anybody know the size of the files? I guess they're in some sort of G-code format (or whatever modern CNCs read now).

They'll be 2d or 3d cad files. The g-code is machine and material specific, it's a series of instructions: turn motor A cw 10 rotations, turn motor B cw 8 rotations, turn motor C ccw 2 rotations, etc. You plug the drawing into a program that writes the g-code for your equipment and printer software.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    I don't even have a printer and I will also.

No printers here either. Additive manufacturing is cute. Home use 3D printers are handy.

But I download everything he had when he first put the site up. I have access to machines and software to cut actual metal. I also turned my boss into a gun nut. Now, if he'd just stop bringing in so much work, we'd have time to do important things like make gun parts.:rolleyes:

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA

Me Neither. Hard to see how this is "the end of gun control" unless things have already teetering to JBTs going door to door.

And I'm sorry-- a 3d printed gun is NOT a quality firearm, not yet. IF they were, you'd have them used for real production instead of just making prototypes cheaper. Your typical SLA/SLS 3d printed part can't hold a candle to machined AL forging, never mind any premium steels.

Nobody will be printing out a barrel anytime soon.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Me Neither. Hard to see how this is "the end of gun control" unless things have already teetering to JBTs going door to door.

The only thing that will end gun control is the same thing ending marijuana control...massive social support of decriminalization. That's the point I made, and Kirk blew past, with the meth analogy. The "how to" is out there, and some people take advantage of it. It lacks social acceptance, though, and those who do still risk jail time. Pretty much nobody is looking to legalize meth. Same here.

And I'm sorry-- a 3d printed gun is NOT a quality firearm, not yet.

I agree. At this point, other than "shiny and new", what's the difference between the 3D print guns and old school pipe guns/zip guns? Maybe it'll get there. Then everyone can stop complaining about MIM and complain about this instead.

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    In a state of acute Pork-i-docis
    The only thing that will end gun control is the same thing ending marijuana control...massive social support of decriminalization. That's the point I made, and Kirk blew past, with the meth analogy. The "how to" is out there, and some people take advantage of it. It lacks social acceptance, though, and those who do still risk jail time. Pretty much nobody is looking to legalize meth. Same here.

I agree. At this point, other than "shiny and new", what's the difference between the 3D print guns and old school pipe guns/zip guns? Maybe it'll get there. Then everyone can stop complaining about MIM and complain about this instead.
    Is printing guns illegal unless you are manufacturing to sell?

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell

And I'm sorry-- a 3d printed gun is NOT a quality firearm, not yet. IF they were, you'd have them used for real production instead of just making prototypes cheaper. Your typical SLA/SLS 3d printed part can't hold a candle to machined AL forging, never mind any premium steels.

Nobody will be printing out a barrel anytime soon.

A win is a win. But I'm like you guys. I don't see this as some great break through. You were always able to manufacture your own guns, now you can exchange the data and still manufacture your own guns. Except for full autos--and now you still can't build your own full auto. We got them to admit in writing that an AR was not a "weapon of war" but we already knew that. It's still illegal to sell a gun that you download the plans for and build yourself, just like it was before, i believe. In states that it's illegal to own/possess an "assault rifle" they'll still put you in jail if you download the plans and build it yourself.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Is printing guns illegal unless you are manufacturing to sell?

YES!! NO!! MAYBE!! ALL OF THE ABOVE!! I DON'T KNOW!! THIRD BASE!! Private use, not being transferred, not NFA, I'm thinking it's legal. Would I drop a 147 gr HST that kicks like a mule in my G26 into something that I just printed and pull the trigger? Not just a no, but a hell no!

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    The only thing that will end gun control is the same thing ending marijuana control...massive social support of decriminalization. That's the point I made, and Kirk blew past, with the meth analogy. The "how to" is out there, and some people take advantage of it. It lacks social acceptance, though, and those who do still risk jail time. Pretty much nobody is looking to legalize meth. Same here

Who made the meth analogy? I said you were losing the Drug War, in a spectacular fashion.

If one treat guns like meth, you will be facing meth dealers who do not live in trailer parks and have educations beyond 10th grade.

alabasterjar

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 13, 2013
    Steuben County
    From the linked page, "Significantly, the government expressly acknowledges that non-automatic firearms up to .50-caliber – including modern semi-auto sporting rifles such as the popular AR-15 and similar firearms – are not inherently military." It seems like this statement may be as significant, if not more so when it comes to defeating gun control efforts such as firearms bans.

Phase2

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    Working with the SAF. Good.

He is looking to collect damages from both locations for 1st and 2nd amendment violations- better.

Top Bottom