Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Untouchable???

Grundy Crew? leader takes plea deal, admits to dealing marijuana | Fox 59

...INDIANAPOLIS, Ind.-- The leader of the "Grundy Crew" in Indianapolis took a plea deal and several charges against him were
    dropped.

Richard Grundy III, a man investigators and prosecutors accused of leading a murderous Indianapolis drug gang, pleaded guilty to a single felony count of dealing in marijuana and will receive a sentence of time served and non-reporting probation.

In accordance with the plea deal, the State dismissed two counts of conspiracy to commit dealing in marijuana, two counts of of corrupt business influence, two counts of criminal gang activity and one count of conspiracy to commit murder...

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    One can only hope the prosecutors took a look at recent events involving Mr. Grundy and figured if they put him back on the streets the problem would resolve itself sooner rather than later.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    what is wrong with prosecuting bad guys?

Witnesses fall off, sometimes bribed or intimidated, sometimes just tired of the disruption to their life. Juries are unpredictable. The lawyer dance of excluding the truth from the courtroom via manuals of rules of evidence, etc.

That's a brief part of what's wrong.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Witnesses fall off, sometimes bribed or intimidated, sometimes just tired of the disruption to their life. Juries are unpredictable. The lawyer dance of excluding the truth from the courtroom via manuals of rules of evidence, etc.

That's a brief part of what's wrong.

And when the next person gets shot and killed because of some drug/gang related activity, we'll have to hear about it being a gun problem all over again... :facepalm:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    And when the next person gets shot and killed because of some drug/gang related activity, we'll have to hear about it being a gun problem all over again... :facepalm:

This is the end result of the electorate not paying any real attention to the state of the union as it actually is.

Set these people to work cleaning out the old useless laws. Trim the fat and simplify the process. If they dont then send them packing bag and baggage. Do not let anyone get so entrenched (McCain comes to mind right away) that they grow old senile and mentally off while still in the seats of power.
    We have that ability and always have. Just to complacent to use it.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    One can only hope the prosecutors took a look at recent events involving Mr. Grundy and figured if they put him back on the streets the problem would resolve itself sooner rather than later.

^^^ This.

With a little bit of trust that there's no way he can avoid violating probation. Easier to prove a VOP, and usually quicker.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    ^^^ This.

With a little bit of trust that there's no way he can avoid violating probation. Easier to prove a VOP, and usually quicker.

Depends who the judge is. Too many judges are soft and give too many chances. Years ago probation violation day in court 20 with judge Young was impressive. That man would run through those hearings and pass out 20yrs back up time like he was passing out Halloween candy. If you violated in his court you were getting all the backup (suspended) time.

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    Depends who the judge is. Too many judges are soft and give too many chances. Years ago probation violation day in court 20 with judge Young was impressive. That man would run through those hearings and pass out 20yrs back up time like he was passing out Halloween candy. If you violated in his court you were getting all the backup (suspended) time.

AND, that is the way it SHOULD be .....

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Untouchable???

Grundy Crew? leader takes plea deal, admits to dealing marijuana | Fox 59

...INDIANAPOLIS, Ind.-- The leader of the "Grundy Crew" in Indianapolis took a plea deal and several charges against him were
    dropped.

Richard Grundy III, a man investigators and prosecutors accused of leading a murderous Indianapolis drug gang, pleaded guilty to a single felony count of dealing in marijuana and will receive a sentence of time served and non-reporting probation.

In accordance with the plea deal, the State dismissed two counts of conspiracy to commit dealing in marijuana, two counts of of corrupt business influence, two counts of criminal gang activity and one count of conspiracy to commit murder...

All charges dropped against two men in connection with ?Grundy Crew? investigation | CBS 4 - Indianapolis News, Weather, Traffic and Sports | WTTV

...INDIANAPOLIS, Ind.– Two members of the “Grundy Crew” had all of their charges dropped Thursday.

Anthony Tinnin, 30, and Victor Wells, 26, were facing two counts of dealing in marijuana, two counts of corrupt business influence and two counts of criminal gang activity. Prosecutors haven’t said what led to the charges being dropped...

Since the arrests of Richard Grundy III and his associates in the winter of 2015, several cases have been dismissed due to unreliable witnesses, other murder trials ended in acquittals and most of the co-defendants have pleaded guilty to reduced charges while, occasionally, picking up new criminal counts.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I totally get that witnesses can be unreliable and in a case against a crew like this even intimidated or just plain scared of retaliation. But something just seems a little sketchy about so many people having charges droped. If I recall correctly after Grundy was shot in that funereal procession he plead guilty to some charges and had others dismissed. If witnesses are the issue seems that maybe LE needs to be creative to take these schmucks off the streets. I would like to think with todays surveillance technologies key players could be tracked and video could be made so a case could be made without relying so much on witnesses. Idk maybe it hasn't or the cost would be too high. Or maybe nail some butts with tax fraud like the feds did with Capone many many moons ago.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    There's this:

One of the last remaining defendants in the so-called “Grundy Crew” case is agreeing to a plea deal Tuesday. David Carroll, 34, pleaded guilty to one count of possession of marijuana, a class A misdemeanor.
    Prosecutors will drop the remaining counts of criminal gang activity, drug dealing and corrupt business influence.
    Under the agreement, Carroll will serve no additional jail time.
    Eight of the 11 defendants in the case have already agreed to plea agreements.
    Defendant in ?Grundy Crew? case takes plea deal, will avoid additional jail time | FOX59

And then there's this:
    Two members of the “Grundy Crew” had all of their charges dropped Thursday.

Anthony Tinnin, 30, and Victor Wells, 26, were facing two counts of dealing in marijuana, two counts of corrupt business influence and two counts of criminal gang activity. Prosecutors haven’t said what led to the charges being dropped.
    Prosecutors drop all charges against two men in ?Grundy Crew? investigation | FOX59

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Wow. At 26, 30, and 34, those guys seem pretty old to be in a gang.

Granted, I'm way past any relevant knowledge about gangs, but 15 years ago that would've been outside the primary age demographic.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I totally get that witnesses can be unreliable and in a case against a crew like this even intimidated or just plain scared of retaliation. But something just seems a little sketchy about so many people having charges droped. If I recall correctly after Grundy was shot in that funereal procession he plead guilty to some charges and had others dismissed. If witnesses are the issue seems that maybe LE needs to be creative to take these schmucks off the streets. I would like to think with todays surveillance technologies key players could be tracked and video could be made so a case could be made without relying so much on witnesses. Idk maybe it hasn't or the cost would be too high. Or maybe nail some butts with tax fraud like the feds did with Capone many many moons ago.

That is far to much work on the part of our let-em walk prosecutors office.

steve0322

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2015
    Mooresville
    Wow. At 26, 30, and 34, those guys seem pretty old to be in a gang.

Granted, I'm way past any relevant knowledge about gangs, but 15 years ago that would've been outside the primary age demographic.

It's escaping me right now, but isn't there a quote somewhere out there saying beware of the old gang member because they've been able to survive the streets.

/useless post is useless

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    It's escaping me right now, but isn't there a quote somewhere out there saying beware of the old gang member because they've been able to survive the streets.

/useless post is useless

Yeah, there's a similar adage about pilots. The are old pilots, and there are bold pilots. But there are no old, bold pilots.

KellyinAvon

Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    He's back! This time in Federal Court. I caught part of a story on WTTV (no link from there yet, Indy Star arcticle below.) Sounds like they are keeping the jury out of sight of the accused.

A convicted drug dealer and rap producer, who dodged five earlier charges of conspiracy to commit murder, goes on trial Monday in a new drug case that could send him to prison for life.

Richard B. Grundy III is facing federal charges alleging he directed a drug distribution organization that sold large amounts of marijuana, meth, cocaine and heroin.

The Indianapolis man, who pleaded guilty to a state charge of dealing marijuana in September 2017, was among more than 20 people indicted two months later in the sweeping federal drug case.
    Most of Grundy's co-defendants have already pleaded guilty in the case, but he and four others — Derek A****er, James O. Beasley, Ezell Neville and Undrae Moseby — are fighting the charges. They will be tried together.

https://www.indystar.com/story/news...s-monday-heres-what-you-need-know/1629814001/

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I've been hearing about his on WTHR all morning. Extra security measures will be in place at the courthouse so they've been telling people that if they have business there, to allow for extra time. I thought they said all 25 defendants were going to be in court, but I could be mistaken about that. No cell phones, no cameras allowed in the courtroom and they will enforce a strict dress code... no bare shoulders, saggy pants, bare midriffs, etc..

KellyinAvon

Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    I've been hearing about his on WTHR all morning. Extra security measures will be in place at the courthouse so they've been telling people that if they have business there, to allow for extra time. I thought they said all 25 defendants were going to be in court, but I could be mistaken about that. No cell phones, no cameras allowed in the courtroom and they will enforce a strict dress code... no bare shoulders, saggy pants, bare midriffs, etc..
    Grundy plus 22 on trial, 3 pleaded guilty.

Top Bottom