• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    There's speculation that it might've been because of the tight security. The defendants were apparently subject to certain movement-limiting devices that were supposed to be unseen by the jury. The speculative part is that something might've happened to make them visible.

The case can be re-tried in the event of a mistrial.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    There's speculation that it might've been because of the tight security. The defendants were apparently subject to certain movement-limiting devices that were supposed to be unseen by the jury. The speculative part is that something might've happened to make them visible.

The case can be re-tried in the event of a mistrial.
    Looks like you called it right, T. “The court found its order concerning juror information was violated”. That could mean the jury Saw the leg restraints, Or maybe the Grundy crew got their hands on the jurors names.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Yeah, when I just saw that, my thought was the latter of those 2 scenarios.

If someone is found to have intentionally tried to leak juror info in violation of the court's order, that person is going to have a series of bad days.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Looks like you called it right, T. “The court found its order concerning juror information was violated”. That could mean the jury Saw the leg restraints, Or maybe the Grundy crew got their hands on the jurors names.

I've seen defendants come into court in restraints before. What's the problem with that? I agree that it seems more likely that it's the second scenario.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I've seen defendants come into court in restraints before. What's the problem with that? I agree that it seems more likely that it's the second scenario.

I've never worked in a Fed court. However many years ago I was a court deputy for the Sheriffs dept. Taking inmates into court with restraints was standard for many purposes. However for any jury trial the defense attorney was allowed to bring the inmate dess clothes. When on a jury trial one has a right to no appear to be in custody which might potentially sway an opinion of guilt.
    We had to sit near enough to respond if the defendant erupted, but had to act as if we weren't paying much attenattention. Sometimes it got a bit sporty

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011

There's been an evolution on how that is handled.

The commonly accepted practice, especially in federal court, is that defendants should not be seen (or acknowledged) to be restrained.

If there's no jury present, then it isn't an issue.

I believe - and this could be wrong, as I haven't been in that world for a long time - even if a juror sees a defendant outside the courtroom in restraints, like on a break or something, then it can be a problem.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy

The commonly accepted practice, especially in federal court, is that defendants should not be seen (or acknowledged) to be restrained.

I believe - and this could be wrong, as I haven't been in that world for a long time - even if a juror sees a defendant outside the courtroom in restraints, like on a break or something, then it can be a problem.

Ah, okay. These weren't jury trial situations. Primarily they were just preliminary hearings or bench trials.

danimal

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2011
    Unincorporated Lake County

Same thing happened to me in Lake County here last year. I was a good juror and followed the judge's instructions and did not do any Google-ing of the defendant during the trial. Once everything was over, came to find out that the first at bat was ruled a mistrial because the jury had seen the defendant in their restraints. Personally isn't something that would sway me, but then again I'm not your average juror. Almost wish there was a full time job being a professional juror, it was actually quite fun. Exhausting paying attention to all the details, but worth it to see an innocent person get home to their family.

KellyinAvon

Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    This answers the mistrial/juror information question:

Grundy’s trial was set to begin earlier this month in federal court in Indianapolis but was declared a mistrial after a list of anonymous jurors’ names was discovered in his cell at the Marion County Jail.

Interesting info from E-ville:
    The court has called 99 potential jurors. A handful of them admitted they’d read some accounts about the Grundy case. Many were quizzed on whether they’d been affected by drug crimes.

One potential juror whose relative had been convicted of a drug crime told the judge, “Oh yeah, he deserved it.” (Gets my vote for jury foreman)

When asked if she could be impartial in the Grundy case, she answered, “They’ve been busy bees.” (Not really, anywhere close to an answer to that question)

https://fox59.com/2019/07/29/federa...gpin-richard-grundy-iii-begins-in-evansville/

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Whoa. The jurors' names were in his jail cell. That's some serious Al Capone type stuff. The attorneys probably had some questions to answer about how that happened.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Well, I am actually kinda surprised. My impression was that the Grundy people were just Indy-run-of-the-mill wannabees. Getting a list of jurors in violation of a court order seems like it would be more difficult than just copying answers from the desk next to yours during a test.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Well, I am actually kinda surprised. My impression was that the Grundy people were just Indy-run-of-the-mill wannabees. Getting a list of jurors in violation of a court order seems like it would be more difficult than just copying answers from the desk next to yours during a test.

In these all about me times just follow the money.

KellyinAvon

Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Update: EVANSVILLE, Ind.– The fates of accused Indianapolis drug boss Richard Grundy III and four alleged co-conspirators are in the hands of 12 jurors at U.S. District Court in Evansville. And hopefully the names of the 12 jurors aren't in the hands of Richard Grundy III.

Ok, the FBI is worse at naming operations than the USAF.
    Dubbed “Operation Electric Avenue” by the FBI, the investigation resulted in indictments against two dozen people, alleging combinations of 20 criminal charges, including conspiracy, money laundering and possession with intent to sell.

https://fox59.com/2019/08/15/accuse...ss-richard-grundys-fate-now-in-hands-of-jury/

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    Ok, the FBI is worse at naming operations than the USAF.
    Dubbed “Operation Electric Avenue” by the FBI, the investigation resulted in indictments against two dozen people, alleging combinations of 20 criminal charges, including conspiracy, money laundering and possession with intent to sell.

https://fox59.com/2019/08/15/accuse...ss-richard-grundys-fate-now-in-hands-of-jury/

I think they named it that because "Now in the street there is violence ... and lots of work to be done."

[video=youtube_share;vtPk5IUbdH0]http://youtu.be/vtPk5IUbdH0[/video]

A damn good song btw.

KellyinAvon

Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    That was quick!

INDIANAPOLIS, Ind. – A federal jury in U.S. District Court in Evansville has found reputed Indianapolis drug boss Richard Grundy III guilty of charges of conspiracy, money laundering, possession and distribution of methamphetamine and continuing criminal enterprise.
    Jurors received the case midway through their 14[SUP]th[/SUP] day in Judge Jane Magnus-Stinson’s courtroom.

The verdicts were reached after nine-and-a-half hours of deliberations.

https://fox59.com/2019/08/15/richard-grundy-and-co-defendants-found-guilty-in-drug-case/

Top Bottom