• ...and so much more!
  • churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    ALWAYS keep the gun pointed in a safe direction.

Violating that is improper gun handling.

Is there any positive reason to violate or ignore something so simple and reasonable?

Is there any negative excuse that would even begin to make sense?

No, there simply isn't.

Bingo.

Lelliott8

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 25, 2016
    Crawfordsville
    Nope, which is exact why you're pointing it.

So you're telling me it would be safer if you did not point your gun at the threat? Don't we also need to have a good line of fire to avoid hitting people who are not threats? When we point our gun at a deadly threat, we are taking into account our own safety and the safety of those around us. No rules broken.

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    So you're telling me it would be safer if you did not point your gun at the threat? Don't we also need to have a good line of fire to avoid hitting people who are not threats? When we point our gun at a deadly threat, we are taking into account our own safety and the safety of those around us. No rules broken.

This is precisely why I would shout, move to tackle (or possibly shoot) someone for pointing a gun in an unsafe direction, THEY HAVE BECOME A THREAT.

I'd only offer a gentle questioning and coaching if I noticed them violating either of the next two while pointing it in a safe direction. I don't just threaten people for any old violation of proper gun handling. That would be absurd.

And, un-libertarian. ;)

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    It's a 2D image. A good photographer could make it appear to be pointed directly at when actually it is pointed up and in front of the other person.

Does anyone see deflection in the skin from the gun?

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    you-went-full-retard-man-never-go-full-retard-you-just-went-full-retard-you-never-go-full-retard.jpg

LP1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 8, 2010
    Friday Town
    It's a 2D image. A good photographer could make it appear to be pointed directly at when actually it is pointed up and in front of the other person.

So then the gun is pointed at who-knows-what. Randomly firing up into the air is OK, right?

Slawburger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Almost Southern IN
    Probably seemed like a funny gag at the time. The whole "someone could die" concept just plum evaded them.

Even if they both tactilely and visually confirmed it was unloaded in this instance, it still serves as a bad example. The next person trying to emulate this gag might not be as careful in confirming it is unloaded. Just a bad idea all around.

Last edited:

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    So then the gun is pointed at who-knows-what. Randomly firing up into the air is OK, right?

You're first statement is correct from the picture, which means the second statement can not be a conclusion reached from the first, It is a question to which the answer is no.

Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN

I don't think you are correct. The gun is resting on his temple, but not pushed into it.

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    I couldn't tell for sure from the picture here. It certainly isn't something I would do whether or not it's a photographic trick via the camera, a photoshopped gun, or even a blue gun painted black or something else. Venturing into the world of opinion. I don't like it.

I don't think you are correct. The gun is resting on his temple, but not pushed into it.

JAL

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2017
    Indiana

I've done too much photography in my past, semi-professional, and artistic, to include gallery, studio, commercial, wedding, and journalistic style location work, plus organizing juried photo shows, to accept this as being an in-camera "trick photo" or post-processing "Photoshop" fakery. In my very considered opinion, after having reverse engineered how hundreds of photos were made to critique them, the only alteration was very appropriately obscuring their faces. There are at least a half-dozen aspects of this photo that are completely consistent with it being exactly the staged and posed photo it appears to be, other than the painted out faces, and there's nothing that would indicate anything contrary to that.

John

DanVoils

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    the only alteration was very appropriately obscuring their faces.
    I've always wondered why people obscure faces or names in photos or screen captures. Care to enlighten me since you say it was very appropriate? Thanks.

Top Bottom