• ...and so much more!
  • ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    GameHut channel discusses how he implemented copy-protection on a game "Leander" that he developed.

Sneaky, sneaky. Poking a hole in the floppy is an interesting method, but that's not the only step he took.

I've seen similar "pirate-shaming" methods added to modern games.

[video=youtube;Qaq9vlfoGnA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qaq9vlfoGnA[/video]

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    The 8-Bit Guy continues his Commodore history, now talking about the Commodore 64

[video=youtube;XRR7r6qz0Ms]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XRR7r6qz0Ms[/video]

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    I had a friend that hacked up a truly sophisticated word processor program on the C64, entirely in assembler, with 64 character columns, mixed case, on a TV. I wouldn't've thought it could be legible, but there it was. I used to watch him working on a document, find an error, and real quick type in some assembly language with his index fingers and one thumb on the spacebar, reassemble and go back to his document.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    I had a friend that hacked up a truly sophisticated word processor program on the C64, entirely in assembler, with 64 character columns, mixed case, on a TV. I wouldn't've thought it could be legible, but there it was. I used to watch him working on a document, find an error, and real quick type in some assembly language with his index fingers and one thumb on the spacebar, reassemble and go back to his document.

An electronics geek in the Navy was telling me about him modifying a C64 for more memory, and modifying a 688 submarine program, I think I was Hunt for Red October. It had a limit on the number of opponents. He upped the limit.
    I thought he was just a guy making stuff up, till he brought it in and showed me.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    An electronics geek in the Navy was telling me about him modifying a C64 for more memory, and modifying a 688 submarine program, I think I was Hunt for Red October. It had a limit on the number of opponents. He upped the limit.
    I thought he was just a guy making stuff up, till he brought it in and showed me.

Yeah, I've seen and done many "impossible" things. I've invented things we see every day. I can't say I was first, but it was original work. You know those electronic muffs people use at the range? I had one of those 35 years ago. I wasn't even in firearms yet, I just thought it would be useful. It's still around here somewhere.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Linus Tech Tips did a video on the new Amazon Go store in Seattle. It's pretty interesting, check it out.

I don't see huge problems with the false refund issue... First, they can easily ban people that abuse it. Second, it's not like there's anything worth much in these stores... and I doubt they allow you to refund alcohol.

The "honor system" is cute, but Amazon doesn't have a lot to lose here. The novelty and tech aspect of it beats the $20 of grocery items that get "stolen".

[video=youtube;vorkmWa7He8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vorkmWa7He8[/video]

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    Linus Tech Tips did a video on the new Amazon Go store in Seattle. It's pretty interesting, check it out.

I don't see huge problems with the false refund issue... First, they can easily ban people that abuse it. Second, it's not like there's anything worth much in these stores... and I doubt they allow you to refund alcohol.

The "honor system" is cute, but Amazon doesn't have a lot to lose here. The novelty and tech aspect of it beats the $20 of grocery items that get "stolen".

Shouldn't be any more of a problem than anywhere else. People suck. Their stealing costs the rest of us a lot of money.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne

Why didn't they steal Summer's Eve? It be more fitting for this guy.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    LGR restores and explores the 1985 Tandy 1000 PC

[video=youtube;malgCK7qHQA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=malgCK7qHQA[/video]

Sprawling Mayan network discovered under Guatemala jungle - BBC News

I think this kind of thing is really cool - both the technology and how they are discovering ancient civilizations that had more technology than we thought. :)

I think it'd be much more fascinating, given the option of time travel, to go backward rather than forward. To see all those things that we have no way of knowing today, things that were never documented.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Democrats will never approve anything that might strengthen backbone in the electorate. Better hope Trump get's re-elected

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Elon Musk's huge Falcon Heavy rocket set for launch - BBC News

This really seems more like hubris at this point.

But because of the historic high failure rate of maiden flights, only a dummy payload is being risked.
    Mr Musk has decided this should be his old cherry-red Tesla roadster with a space-suited mannequin strapped in the driver's seat.
    David Bowie's classic hit Space Oddity will be looping on the radio as the car is hurled into an elliptical orbit that stretches out to Mars' orbit around the Sun.
    "[The roadster will] get about 400 million km away from Earth, and it'll be doing 11km/s," he told reporters in a briefing on Monday. "We estimate it will be in that orbit for several hundred million years, maybe in excess of a billion years."

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Don't care. Bowie playing in space for eternity. I'm fine with whatever this costs.

17dhfs.jpg

Top Bottom