• Status
    Not open for further replies.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    https://www.dailywire.com/news/new-from-teen-vogue-sleep-is-systemically-racist

At first I thought this was parody, but now I think it might not be? In today's Bizarro Land, it is getting hard to tell.

While discussing the departure of Bari Weiss from the New York Times on his show yesterday, Ben Shapiro made the point that it's now impossible to tell The New York Times from Teen Vogue. They're both publishing increasingly insane woke articles like this. He argues that if you remove the mastheads you wouldn't know one from the other.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    It is time to defund *a lot* of universities. The value they create in education is becoming less and less apparent vs. the harm they are creating and shear quantity of money they are charging for the privilege.

Profs demand university police chief resign after seeing Blue Lives Matter flag in his home

If you click through and read, the story is even worse than the title.

This guy should resign. For being a little ***** and bending the knee to the mob.

Within hours, Chedester issued a letter of apology for the pro-law enforcement flag being displayed behind him during the virtual conference.

He said that the flag always symbolized “a way to honor the commitment I made as a first responder to protect our community,” adding “I understand now that it represents something else to many others; something that I now know was traumatic to some of our community tuning in for our Conversation.”

“I sincerely did not have any intent to suggest that police lives matter more than Black lives nor was I intentionally trying to cause any harm or offense,” Chedester continued.

Chedester then promised to remove the flag from his office.

“I am committed to rebuilding that trust beginning today. I am taking the flag down from my office wall,” he concluded.

The proper response to the calls to resign should have been, "No! Now go **** yourselves."

Kdf101

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2013
    Sullivan County
    For years the gun guys said, “they will come for the 1A after the 2A” and we were mocked as crazy. Just look now, free speech is under sustained attack. From what you say, what you wear, to a flag somebody doesn’t like on your porch. I can’t remember where I saw the clip, but an ANTIFA guy was going on about religious people and their “obsession” with free speech. I guess only “correct” speech should be allowed.

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    For years the gun guys said, “they will come for the 1A after the 2A” and we were mocked as crazy. Just look now, free speech is under sustained attack. From what you say, what you wear, to a flag somebody doesn’t like on your porch. I can’t remember where I saw the clip, but an ANTIFA guy was going on about religious people and their “obsession” with free speech. I guess only “correct” speech should be allowed.

It's almost reversed.

Phase2

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    Well, they can do it, because people keep sending their kids and people are compelled to pay for it via government subsidies.
    When they can't get anyone in the door, then things will change.
    Until then...

FTFY. The government should not subsidize institutions that compel speech (anti-racism). Withdraw all forms of aid to the university including tuition assistance to those who attend.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    FTFY. The government should not subsidize institutions that compel speech (anti-racism). Withdraw all forms of aid to the university including tuition assistance to those who attend.
    The government is not compelling them to send their kids to that school. They may be enabling it, but not compelling.

Phase2

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    Didn't say the government was compelling. But government (aka our) dollars are being used to finance institutions that do compel.

Kdf101

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2013
    Sullivan County
    Why do we give tax dollars to universities at all? If they had to actually compete, meaning value for your dollar without being propped up by tax payers, then a lot of this, especially the absurd prices would correct themselves. Uncle Sam needs to get out of the higher education business altogether and let the market decide who offers a quality product.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    Why do we give tax dollars to universities at all? If they had to actually compete, meaning value for your dollar without being propped up by tax payers, then a lot of this, especially the absurd prices would correct themselves. Uncle Sam needs to get out of the [STRIKE]higher[/STRIKE] education business altogether and let the market decide who offers a quality product.

FIFY

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Why do we give tax dollars to universities at all? If they had to actually compete, meaning value for your dollar without being propped up by tax payers, then a lot of this, especially the absurd prices would correct themselves. Uncle Sam needs to get out of the higher education business altogether and let the market decide who offers a quality product.

Maybe tax dollars are given to these places because the people making the decision to hand out the money came from these places.

Always follow the money

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish

One serendipitous hope is that coronavirus destroys the current model of post-secondary education. I think a new model is on the horizon that just needed a reason to exist. So think about this. No more colleges. People (anyone) can produce curriculum on any online platform. Accreditation is not necessary. What's necessary is passing a certification exam in your chosen field. You want to be a software engineer, you learn it online by consuming content that teaches you software engineering.

If it helps you pass the certification exams, you'll rate it highly and other people will want to use it. And maybe a lot of people put this content online free to those who consume it, and it's paid for by advertisements and crowd-funding. You'd also pay to take the certification tests. Of course that system would probably not be all online. Not every subject is best taught online, and not every student learns best online. But I could envision learning centers popping up to meet that demand, which would mostly be venues for teaching content in person. The internet's main advantage is decentralization, and I think that would naturally lead to a more decentralized education system if crony capitalism weren't destined to ensure institutional control.

The only reason we need institutional universities now, is that's the model that evolved from a world without technology. It would be a paradigm shift which I didn't think was possible. But maybe covid could nudge that. Unrealistic, ya, but I can dream.

Last edited:

Phase2

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    It's far more than a dream. We are well on the way towards that basic model. The university system is already a termite-infested hulk. Far too expensive, alienating too many people, not suited to purpose, and not responsive to customer's changing needs. In 20-years, relatively few physical universities will be left and/or they will shrink considerably. Those that remain will be for subjects that require more in-presence study (like medical) and/or be the most "elite". Much of education will switch to online which scales much more easily and can be offered far more cheaply. You attend some or all classes online and any that require in-person attendance can be handled at the remnants of the university. Much of education will delink from universities entirely and become more skill-based rather than degree-based. Also, there is no reason this new training paradigm will be limited to training people even within a single nation. I've already taken a full university course online from Nicosea Univerity (in Cyprus).

Do you know how to program X? Do you have certification that says so? OK, you fit my needs for this entry-level position. You are hired.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    It's far more than a dream. We are well on the way towards that basic model. The university system is already a termite-infested hulk. Far too expensive, alienating too many people, not suited to purpose, and not responsive to customer's changing needs. In 20-years, relatively few physical universities will be left and/or they will shrink considerably. Those that remain will be for subjects that require more in-presence study (like medical) and/or be the most "elite". Much of education will switch to online which scales much more easily and can be offered far more cheaply. You attend some or all classes online and any that require in-person attendance can be handled at the remnants of the university. Much of education will delink from universities entirely and become more skill-based rather than degree-based. Also, there is no reason this new training paradigm will be limited to training people even within a single nation. I've already taken a full university course online from Nicosea Univerity (in Cyprus).

Do you know how to program X? Do you have certification that says so? OK, you fit my needs for this entry-level position. You are hired.

I hope it's more than a dream. But people want to cling to their institutional power. I don't see the academic elite giving up their ivory towers easily. It hasn't crumbled yet. I'm optimistic It'll happen eventually but not sure if in my lifetime.

If people want free education, this is probably the freest model we'll get.

MarkC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 6, 2016
    Mooresville

I have to agree. A couple of years ago I finished a Masters of Public Affairs at IUPUI, and probably 40% of my classes were online only. One class was a hybrid, which was distance learning for 3 out of 4 class sessions and every fourth was in-person.

Mrs. MarkC started a Masters program at Lesley University (in Cambridge, near Boston in the Peoples Republic of Massachusetts) and is almost completely online. She had to do a nine day in person intensive training last summer on campus, but the rest is distance learning.

Not that personal experience is a substitute for actual data, but both of those programs were implemented well before COVID hit. The trend was already started, and the 'Rona merely accelerated it.

Phase2

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    I hope it's more than a dream. But people want to cling to their institutional power. I don't see the academic elite giving up their ivory towers easily. It hasn't crumbled yet. I'm optimistic It'll happen eventually but not sure if in my lifetime.

If people want free education, this is probably the freest model we'll get.

"Free education"? It is the most expensive form of education available.

Online bachelors degrees will become available for $10,000 (or inflation-adjusted equivalent) for many online-only topics. You won't have tens of thousand of students/year dropping out per year with no degree and $50-100K of debt that they are unequipped to pay off. Many will opt to bypass degrees entirely if they know there is a job/career available via a skill-based certication model.

No doubt there will be a huge number of people clinging to their institutional power, but those institutions will become more and more irrelevant and crumble beneath their feet.

Think of how many industries have been disrupted and have had to adapt to new models due to the internet. People are looking for a quality secondary education at a reasonable price. There is no rule saying that the current university system will remain the primary tool to deliver it.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom