Not open for further replies.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    "Free education"? It is the most expensive form of education available.

Online bachelors degrees will become available for $10,000 (or inflation-adjusted equivalent) for many online-only topics. You won't have tens of thousand of students/year dropping out per year with no degree and $50-100K of debt that they are unequipped to pay off. Many will opt to bypass degrees entirely if they know there is a job/career available via a skill-based certication model.

No doubt there will be a huge number of people clinging to their institutional power, but those institutions will become more and more irrelevant and crumble beneath their feet.

Think of how many industries have been disrupted and have had to adapt to new models due to the internet. People are looking for a quality secondary education at a reasonable price. There is no rule saying that the current university system will remain the primary tool to deliver it.

Well, "free" doesn't mean government pays. Someone pays the teacher.

The model I had in mind was that it could be free to the consumer. Or it could be paid curriculum that students buy. It wouldn't have to be formal. Anyone with knowledge on a subject could post their course content on YouTube, and if it tends to help people pass their certifications, a lot of people would tend to watch it. Content providers would make their money like anyone on youtube. Ad revenue or a third party crowd funding platform. That model separates the process of learning from the credentials certifying that you're competent. It doesn't matter how you learn. It matters that you learn enough to get your certifications.

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    Why do we give tax dollars to universities at all? If they had to actually compete, meaning value for your dollar without being propped up by tax payers, then a lot of this, especially the absurd prices would correct themselves. Uncle Sam needs to get out of the higher education business altogether and let the market decide who offers a quality product.

^^^^
    THIS

Indiana University Bloomington is shown to have 32,991 students for the 2019 school year, if we use the tuition & fees based on just in state residents
    for all enrolled at IU at their stated cost of $25,658 for 4 years, that's $6,414.50 per year for a total 211.5 million+ dollars and some change.

Throw in TV revenue generated by football and basketball along with the massive amount of money donated, and you got to think why in the hell is any university getting a dime of any state and federal funds.

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    [video=youtube;TvnGSsIWTSU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TvnGSsIWTSU[/video]

Website launched for people who want a job and don't want to deal with political activism.
    Leftists immediately hacked it, defaced it, and have effectively shut it down.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    I was in the car yesterday evening and I heard a 60 Minutes Hit Piece on Bulgaria for Bulgarians. How they don't want immigrants, mixed marriages, and have built a wall. They compared them to events last century in Europe ( I am not sure if they actually said Hitler) but I am pretty sure they mentioned Trump.

Phase2

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    The whole world is now a comedy. I would assume at some point, the pendulum will swing the other way, but I won’t hold my breath.

Why? Communist China still hasn't swung back from when Mao took over. The activist left, many companies and government institutions are using the same tactics against our existing culture.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I was in the car yesterday evening and I heard a 60 Minutes Hit Piece on Bulgaria for Bulgarians. How they don't want immigrants, mixed marriages, and have built a wall. They compared them to events last century in Europe ( I am not sure if they actually said Hitler) but I am pretty sure they mentioned Trump.

Bulgaria?!

What? When was this? I need a link.

I will say, that Bulgarians seemed very homogeneous.

Wait, are you sure it wasn't Hungary?
    https://www.cbsnews.com/video/hungary-paying-citizens-to-have-babies-60-minutes-2020-07-19/

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Hey, it's none of my business who someone chooses to love! ;)

Bulgarians love Bulgarians.... and tourist with money. They don't care much for homosexuality.

They do love knives, too. It's one country in the EU where you can freely carry your pocket knife.
    They don't care much for SJW's. They're too poor to spend energy on that crap.

Oh, and pork. They love pork.... yummy, delicious pork.... :drool: ... it's close to lunchtime, isn't it?

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    My old grill bit the dust last year, so I bought an original Webber.

I did chicken kababs yesterday. I took a turkry breast out of the freezer and am going to season it and let it rest until Sunday morning and smoke it.

Oh, but, you mentioned pork, maybe next Sunday.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Organization representing Native Americans plans to ask Indianapolis Indians to change its name

Manual High School also will be changing their mascot name. :rolleyes: I keep seeing the phrase "the right side of history". To my way of thinking, history shouldn't have sides. Just like the phrase "your truth". Something should either be true or not true. Objective, not subjective.

https://www.wthr.com/article/news/l...name/531-b4af5c6d-3989-4c04-9bd0-d9bab485c73f

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom