The Internet Kill Switch bill is back (now with no judicial review)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • nawainwright

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 23, 2009
    New Hampshire
    Renewed Push to Give Obama an Internet "Kill Switch" - Tech Talk - CBS News

Thats right ladies and gentlemen, one of the RINO's from Maine and libby Lieberman both think that the DHS should be able to put whomever they want on a list of critical "targets" that the president can shut down at whim. DHS head Herr Napolitano will choose who gets put on this list and it specifically prohibits the courts from interfering. All of it is disturbing, but the MOST disturbing part is the "no judicial review". I know exactly how this one went in the "war room":

"We want to be able to shut down the internet unilaterally, control is imperative."
    "But sir, people will sue, the courts will never allow such a broad overreach"
    "Now now, lets just write a bill the PREVENTS the courts from interfering!"
    "Is that legal?"
    "I don't know, I guess we'll find out. But since the bill says its non-reviewable, then they won't be able to review it! IT'S BULLETPROOF!!"
    "It's worth a try I guess..."
    "Great, now its time for my monthly vacation on the taxpayers dime....I'm thinking we should just buy Jamaica and turn it into a presidential retreat center, make sure we put a golf course there."
    "What about the Jamaican's sir?"
    "Screw em, if they aren't smart enough to keep from being turned into a golf course, they don't deserve to have all those bananas...that is all thats on Jamaica right?"
    "We'll look into it sir."
    "Sweet, I'm gonna go light one up while my wife tells the rest of the population they are a bunch of unhealthy slobs."

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    This is a huge deal isn't it. (talent for understatement right there)

I am sure the govt can kill the net if it wanted to do so in an emergency, and if the right circumstance comes along I am sure they will. In a practical sense this legislation is going to be a non-issue. Good, bad, right, worng if they want or need to they will just kill the internet.

The legislation itself is a scary things. I am not a lawyer but I fail to see how one branch and pass a law that simply writes the third branch off. If this happens and the citizens allow it to go on then America is gone and Amerika is here. This is plain wrong. It is a very arrogant grab at power.:xmad:

Who set the Reichstag on fire?
    :patriot:

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Turning the master switch off for the Internet in this country sounds like it would do more harm than good in any circumstance assuming such a switch can exist. So much commerce moves through the internet these days you could expect lots of lawsuits from that area alone. Maybe blocking exchange is what they have in mind?

ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    Yeah, regulative authority!!!

I'm glad someone is finally going to be able to put a stop to all this interwebz nonsense.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    Turning the master switch off for the Internet in this country sounds like it would do more harm than good in any circumstance assuming such a switch can exist.
    It does and it can be done...
    So much commerce moves through the internet these days you could expect lots of lawsuits from that area alone. Maybe blocking exchange is what they have in mind?
    If you thought the finical community was having problems after the events of the World Trade Centers dropping wait till you see what happens when some Noodle head shuts off the Internet...

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Sounds like they want to creat a DHS for the internet, a gold mine for dc contractors and consultants. Lots of tax money going into that one.

nawainwright

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 23, 2009
    New Hampshire
    This is clearly all about money and power. It's mob tactics, "Nice internet you got there, would be a shame if something happened to it. I could provide you with some protection, for a price." But what do you expect from the govt?

misconfig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   1
    Apr 1, 2009
    Avon
    This is a huge deal isn't it. (talent for understatement right there)

I am sure the govt can kill the net if it wanted to do so in an emergency, and if the right circumstance comes along I am sure they will. In a practical sense this legislation is going to be a non-issue. Good, bad, right, worng if they want or need to they will just kill the internet.

The legislation itself is a scary things. I am not a lawyer but I fail to see how one branch and pass a law that simply writes the third branch off. If this happens and the citizens allow it to go on then America is gone and Amerika is here. This is plain wrong. It is a very arrogant grab at power.:xmad:

Who set the Reichstag on fire?
    :patriot:

I wouldn't go that far, you must first understand how the internet was designed. The internet as a whole won't be shut down at least at this stage, albeit it's rather freaky to see government wanting control over our only form of "free speech" we have anymore.

The internet was designed to provide communication during a nuclear fallout, it's fairly bulletproof at this point but with enough time and energy this will not be the case.

ThrottleJockey

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Between Greenwood and Martinsville
    I wouldn't go that far, you must first understand how the internet was designed. The internet as a whole won't be shut down at least at this stage, albeit it's rather freaky to see government wanting control over our only form of "free speech" we have anymore.

The internet was designed to provide communication during a nuclear fallout, it's fairly bulletproof at this point but with enough time and energy this will not be the case.
    It is NOT bulletproof and can already be taken over completely by our enemies. It can be temp shut down, but if you think the rest of the world will let it happen, you are sadly mistaken. Pentagon says aware of China Internet rerouting | Reuters
    Additionally, China has some pretty serious servers right here in our own governments facilities. They have "counterfeit" IBM stuff installed at places like the NSA and other alphabet agencies that are turning up every so often....Anyone that thinks our gov can control anything is mistaken. And the no judicial review part won't fly PERIOD.

swatdoc

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Franklin
    Upon its creation, Skynet began to learn at a geometric rate. The system originally went online on August 4th 1997. Human decisions were removed from strategic defense. It originally became self-aware at 2:14 am Eastern Time on August 29th, 1997. In the ensuing panic and attempts to shut Skynet down, Skynet retaliated by firing American nuclear missiles at their target sites in Russia. Russia returned fire and three billion human lives ended in the nuclear holocaust. This was what has come to be known as "Judgment Day".​

Sometimes an "off-switch" could be a good thing!

misconfig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   1
    Apr 1, 2009
    Avon
    It is NOT bulletproof and can already be taken over completely by our enemies. It can be temp shut down, but if you think the rest of the world will let it happen, you are sadly mistaken. Pentagon says aware of China Internet rerouting | Reuters
    Additionally, China has some pretty serious servers right here in our own governments facilities. They have "counterfeit" IBM stuff installed at places like the NSA and other alphabet agencies that are turning up every so often....Anyone that thinks our gov can control anything is mistaken. And the no judicial review part won't fly PERIOD.

What enemies? The US doesn't own the internets dude.

Cherryspringer

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 16, 2011
    Lafayette
    Wouldn't bother me at all. I'm guessing it will be more of an inconvenience for them. Bring it on I say shut down the power grid also let's get this party started.:rockwoot:

ol' trucker

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2010
    indianapolis
    Wouldn't bother me at all. I'm guessing it will be more of an inconvenience for them. Bring it on I say shut down the power grid also let's get this party started.:rockwoot:
    If it wouldn't bother you at all. what are you doing on the internet now for? I enjoy getting on this website very much. Boy that sure would be a BIG party if they shut the power grid down. FAIL!:noway::noway::noway:

Top Bottom