The Internet Kill Switch bill is back (now with no judicial review)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    I guess I just don't quite understand how any one entity could flip a switch, so to speak, and shut down the entire nation's access to the internet.

But I'm not a big internet guru. I just play around on it.

I wonder how big a ****storm that would cause.

ThrottleJockey

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Between Greenwood and Martinsville
    I have NO idea, it was WAY over my head...but the guy had his radio hooked to my laptop and used it to surf the web. It never ceases to amaze me what I guy can learn/pick up at truck stops and I spend most of my time at them. There may only be one guy out of every 1,000 that you meet, but that one guy will show you stuff you would never even dream possible.

SemperFiUSMC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009
    I guess I just don't quite understand how any one entity could flip a switch, so to speak, and shut down the entire nation's access to the internet.

But I'm not a big internet guru. I just play around on it.

I wonder how big a ****storm that would cause.

Really big, but you'd never know about it because you couldn't read about it on the Interwebz.

ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    I have NO idea, it was WAY over my head...but the guy had his radio hooked to my laptop and used it to surf the web. It never ceases to amaze me what I guy can learn/pick up at truck stops and I spend most of my time at them. There may only be one guy out of every 1,000 that you meet, but that one guy will show you stuff you would never even dream possible.

So he used his HAM radio as a trype of wireless router? Very good idea. Once you get down to the nuts and bolts of things, it can be very easy to manipulate technology.

He could probably even access a 3G or 4G network with the right software using his radio as well.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    A government with enough control ( FCC ) could easily order all outbound traffic to cease, in theory.

The rest of the internets are still working.

It's almost like cutting off all traffic on I-70 - we've still got other roads to travel.

So it could not be done here?

misconfig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   1
    Apr 1, 2009
    Avon
    So it could not be done here?

It could surely happen; with enough power in the hands of government.

No one government could shut down the internet as a whole, albeit they could stop their citizens from seeing certain types of information, or block all communications to the internet as a whole; the internet in it's entirety is designed to stay up and running no matter which 'node' drops out.

( Look at China ).

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Honestly, I never took this thread very seriously.
    I mean, you know, it's in the Political forum, uuuuuuh need I say more? Sorry, but there is some pretty oddball whacked out stuff in here.:tinfoil:

I kind of poo pooed the idea that the Internet in America could be regulated by the govt. My thoughts are that whatever efforts were made would be undone or worked around by smarter people. Our geeks outnumber theirs, right?

nawainwright

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 23, 2009
    New Hampshire
    Honestly, I never took this thread very seriously.
    I mean, you know, it's in the Political forum, uuuuuuh need I say more? Sorry, but there is some pretty oddball whacked out stuff in here.:tinfoil:

I kind of poo pooed the idea that the Internet in America could be regulated by the govt. My thoughts are that whatever efforts were made would be undone or worked around by smarter people. Our geeks outnumber theirs, right?

If by "whacked out stuff" you mean news...then yeah, there's a lot of that. China has something like 4 times the amount of people we have and they regulate the internet (and can shut it down inside their borders). If you think that some people get around it, you're probably right, but when you get caught you don't go to "white collar prison" you go to the "federal pound me in the @$$ prison". As a whole, they can shut things down for 60-90% of the population I imagine. It is what it is, you can ignore this stuff at your own peril really.

Anytime a government agency wants to pass something that can't be reviewed or revoked, then you better believe that we have a problem. No matter what the issue is.

down3green

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 19, 2010
    Brown County
    Turning the master switch off for the Internet in this country sounds like it would do more harm than good in any circumstance assuming such a switch can exist.

Not if it's election time, you already control the mainstream media, and you want to silence the opposition . . .

ol' trucker

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2010
    indianapolis
    What about that statement was ignorant, exactly?

:n00b:

Post #17 was right in front of your post #18. well,I guess the statement that I thought was pretty ignorant,is a guy(fool) that would wish that the government would shut down the grid,so we can all have a party..in his words. seems pretty ignorant to me. to wish that we could have chaos and death in the streets. because you know that would happen if the grid was cut off.:n00b:

ol' trucker

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2010
    indianapolis
    Seems like to me,it would be pretty easy to get the internet turned off. President makes a few calls to internet providers. and wahla. internets are turned off. pretty simple actually.

misconfig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   1
    Apr 1, 2009
    Avon
    Post #17 was right in front of your post #18. well,I guess the statement that I thought was pretty ignorant,is a guy(fool) that would wish that the government would shut down the grid,so we can all have a party..in his words. seems pretty ignorant to me. to wish that we could have chaos and death in the streets. because you know that would happen if the grid was cut off.:n00b:

I agree with you 100% my friend!

rich8483

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 30, 2009
    Crown Point - Lake County
    so, all they have to do is take over comcast and att through some kind of bail out, ya know, for the good welfare of the country, and they pretty well will own literally all the routers and will quite literally also have killswitch power.

Top Bottom