• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • clownsaw

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 21, 2011
    Fishers
    I'm new here, so I'm going to ask a real amateur question. Why are 1911s so popular? People talk about them like Mac computers, you know? There are handguns, and then there is the 1911. Is the reputation deserved? If so, why?

The look and history are great, and the design is an American Classic. Are they that much better than the competition?
    (I'm looking for my first handgun, and hear lots about the 1911, which is why I ask)

gunman41mag

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 1, 2011
    SOUTH of YOU
    I'm new here, so I'm going to ask a real amateur question. Why are 1911s so popular? People talk about them like Mac computers, you know? There are handguns, and then there is the 1911. Is the reputation deserved? If so, why?

The look and history are great, and the design is an American Classic. Are they that much better than the competition?
    (I'm looking for my first handgun, and hear lots about the 1911, which is why I ask)

Best fighting gun ever made, the 1911 are accurate, plenty of options are made for them, designed by an AMERICAN, safest gun out there, :rockwoot:

drgnrobo

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    ft. wayne
    I think you got it in your title ..its a legendary firearm & the design holds true today .There are more copies of the 1911 than any other pistol developed. I have several & its one of those pistols that there is a variety of styles with boatloads of options & are available for about every level of shooter.

desmodue

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 19, 2010
    Peru, IN
    If you have to ask, it can't be explained.

Either the 1911 appeals to you or it doesn't. I would not recommend to anyone to go out and buy a 1911, especially for a first gun. Shoot every single 1911 you can get your hands on, shoot every gun of any type you are offered. If along the way, you start "getting" the 1911 jump in and buy one. If however you buy a 1911 and expect it to somehow be some kind of super gun that is so vastly superior to anything else that women will want you and men wish they were you..you will be disappointed.

clownsaw

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 21, 2011
    Fishers
    Disclaimer: I've never had an automatic and only pulled the trigger on a .380. I went out today to see how a 1911 Taurus felt.

I see what people mean now. Those are real guns.

Bummer

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 5, 2010
    West side of Indy
    I have a Colt Combat Elite. It just feels right. Magic? Nope. On the other hand, thousands of Japanese and German soldiers can't be wrong. It's an extremely effective weapon.

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    What is everyones appeal? Accuracy? Eats anything? Just feels right?

Hard to pin it down...they can be extremely accurate, they are unusually concealable for a full size pistol, the triggers can be worked to make them about the finest trigger you'll ever encounter on a handgun, and right out of the box the triggers are usually better than most. They are a very safe pistol to carry, the ergonomics on them work for almost everybody and are better than most other pistols out there. They are beautiful, in a way many service pistols aren't, yet they are every bit a service pistol, and have a pedigree beyond reproach - nothing else in service comes close.

I think there are plenty of excellent handgun choices out there, but I don't think there are any that are superior for general uses than the 1911.

LCSOSgt11

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    LaPorte, IN
    The 1911 has been the most accessorized handgun (I think) in current production.

The "legend" of the 1911 lies in its use with the US military. The most current legend builder was Col. Jeff Cooper, late and lamented. Col. Cooper was probably the most outspoken proponent of the pistol, and his research and practice and along with many others led to the "Modern Technique of the Pistol."

The pistol, properly tuned, in combination with the Weaver Stance, was Cooper's stock in trade. I would agree that the pistol is probably not for everyone, but once you fall in love with it, it will be the only pistol for you.

I know, I have two of them.

Shoots4Fun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    74   0   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    I don't own one and have only shot one once. I like just about everything I've ever shot and at some point I'd like to get a 1911 too.

But, in my opinion, the there is a lot on the market that is at least as good and I'd consider other things before the 1911 as my first handgun. Just my :twocents:...

clownsaw

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 21, 2011
    Fishers
    I don't own one and have only shot one once. I like just about everything I've ever shot and at some point I'd like to get a 1911 too.

But, in my opinion, the there is a lot on the market that is at least as good and I'd consider other things before the 1911 as my first handgun. Just my :twocents:...

Like what? I want a .45. The 1911 (Citadel, Taurus, ATI, Rock Island) is the direction I'm headed in. Recommend me something different!

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 25, 2010
    :yesway:[ well saidB][/B]
    If you have to ask, it can't be explained.

Either the 1911 appeals to you or it doesn't. I would not recommend to anyone to go out and buy a 1911, especially for a first gun. Shoot every single 1911 you can get your hands on, shoot every gun of any type you are offered. If along the way, you start "getting" the 1911 jump in and buy one. If however you buy a 1911 and expect it to somehow be some kind of super gun that is so vastly superior to anything else that women will want you and men wish they were you..you will be disappointed.[/ QUOTE]

g+16

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 8, 2009
    I grew up with a 45 in my hand, my father first put one there when I was at the age of 8. Since then I have fired many wepons in the military and beyond, and many handguns, but a 45 apc has always fit my hand the best, yes the recoil can be mighty, if that is the problem there is always the option of a 40 S&W in a 45 frame that is offered by some manufactors:rockwoot:, before you ask, just my a 40 in 45 frame don't ask about converting one , it's been beat to death here:xmad:. In closing I like 45 apc, it feels good in my hand, I like the idea that with proper placement it will stop anyone (double tap to the head), I have more than one and have always carried one, thank-you for your time:yesway:

Top Bottom