• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    To paraphrase Jeff Cooper, if the egg is the perfect shape, the 1911 is the perfect pistol.

Everything is where is supposed to be. The weapon being large is easy to manipulate, even with one hand.

The weapon is flat so it conceals well. The single stack mags are easier to manipulate.

The weapon is large so the shooter has a longer sight radius and the weight absorbs recoil.

geno2k

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 23, 2011
    I have 2 1991 a1 compact models and the shoot like a dream. with the exception of some improperly crimped(like not) handloads it has digested everything I put through it. Even had some handloads that chronographed at 620 fps functioned fine.

nicajack

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 21, 2011
    Miami County
    As stated above, they feel good, usually work flawlessly and sure will get the job done. First opportunity for me to shoot one was in the service. Have had one or more ever since. Currently own 4 1911 style pistols. 3 45's and one .38 Super. The 1911 grip frame fits my hand like it was custom made for me. I also like revolvers very much but always shoot 1911's a little better because of the grip.
    The only reason the military did away with the .45 was because the ladies couldn't handle the 1911. But as you'll notice, the parts of our military with an option usually opt for the 1911....Just could be something there.....
    012-2.jpg

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    For me, I like the 1911 because it's simple, effective and elegant. It can easily be disassembled down the the last part for a thorough cleaning and is made up of relatively few parts. Those parts are robust in design and function and the whole, when assembled performs the designed function at least as good as, and better than many newer designs. There are a lot of newer designs that incorporate some nice features, but take a look at all of the small springs and pins that cannot be removed or replaced without special tooling. You can take a tired 1911 and make it operate like new with $20 in springs and a new magazine. That work is capable of being done by an average shooter and does not require a trip to an armorer.

Then, there's the history behind them. Who has not grown up with the image of John Wayne holding a 1911 in a pitched battle in the Pacific. Holding a 1911 is like holding a bit of American history in your hand. It's the quintessential American fighting tool. It has nothing it does not need and is missing nothing that it does. It's a slab sided tool designed to do a specific job and has nothing designed into it that does not perform a function.

For the fortunate, it fits their hands perfectly and becomes an extension of themselves. They are available with excellent quality from prices that make one available to almost anyone, up to custom pistols that require a second mortgage. They come in a variety of calibers and sizes to allow someone to find the perfect pistol for them. An end user can change triggers and mainspring housings to dial the fit in even more.

I have had a lot of handguns that I really liked and still find new ones that I like that are not a 1911. But, I always find myself coming back to the 1911 for daily carry. For me, a compact 1911 with the commander sized grip and a 4" barrel, extended thumb safety and speed bump grip safety is what simply works best.
    picture.php
    picture.php

Last edited:

LPMan59

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2009
    South of Heaven
    I'm new here, so I'm going to ask a real amateur question. Why are 1911s so popular? People talk about them like Mac computers, you know? There are handguns, and then there is the 1911. Is the reputation deserved? If so, why?

The look and history are great, and the design is an American Classic. Are they that much better than the competition?
    (I'm looking for my first handgun, and hear lots about the 1911, which is why I ask)

Does WWI, WWII, Korea or Vietnam ring a bell? :laugh:

Rampdog

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2011
    Cloverdale
    For me the 1911 is the whole package. The history, the look, the feel, the shootability....It's a natural pointing gun and when brought to bear can quickly end a fight. The US militarys decision to drop the 1911 for the M9 says more about the state of the military than it does about the 1911. As has been said over and over it's a legendary fighting pistol, arguably the best ever made. Anyone can shoot it and I do mean anyone. My wife, all 5'2" and 101lbs of her can shoot mine all day loaded with 230grain ball.

Last edited:

Scotty

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    Anderson
    I love my Colt Gold Cup 1911...probably the best gun I own, but for home protection I keep my XDM9 loaded (I like the 19 round firepower and it's very accurate). :):

.452browning

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    i love the 1911 for several reasons. i personally have a springfield champion

1. it was the longest serving military sidearm in US history from 1911-1985 which gives me the sense that it is doing its job very right (especially since i have heard from a vetran of my grandfathers WW2 company that my grandfather's life was saved by his trusty 1911 during the bulge)

2. i love the .45ACP....i'm not dogging the 9mm because i also carry a 9mm...i just prefer the .45 (i do like 1911's in other calibers besides .45)

3. my springfield has never had a hiccup. never a FTF or FTE in hundreds of rounds fired

4. there are so many different options of 1911 out there today from many different companies, its like baskin robins accept 500 flavors instead of 31

5. i am very accurate with my springfield champion and it is very comfortable to shoot (even with the slide bites i get) figure its just part of the game with my fat hands and high grip

6. there is this aurora around a 1911 when i look at it and handle it, it commands my respect and worship

chraland51

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 31, 2009
    Camby Area
    I disagree with KillStick regarding the Taurus 1911 as I like mine very much, but do not want to argue the matter. I also like my S & W 1911 very much. If I had it to do over again, however, I would try to get it without adjustable target grips as, at my age, they do me little good over the fixed sights and have on occasion gotten snagged on things. Anyway, the first time I shot a 1911, I was very surprised at how little the recoil was and how easily it shot and was to hold. I am sure that it has stayed so popular for a century for much more than sentimental reasons. My only complaint is with the limited number of rounds it can hold unless you fill it with one of those hideous extended magazines. The venerable 1911 will probably be around for another century unless our elected officials make laws that overnight turn many of us into criminals.

G_Stines

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 2, 2010
    Central Indiana
    If however you buy a 1911 and expect it to somehow be some kind of super gun that is so vastly superior to anything else that women will want you and men wish they were you..you will be disappointed.

Unless it happens to be a Gold Cup... and you hang with men and women who appreciate it. Then yes, it will. :rockwoot: Scotty, I demand pics.

Travis45

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    Albany
    I've only owned 2 1911s. One being a Colt 1991A1 and the other a Union Switch & Signal 1911A1. Both have been awesome guns. They feel good and shoot great.

KCJarman

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2011
    Noblesville
    I just got my first 1911.... oh, and by the by, it's a Taurus PT1911. LOVE IT!!!! I have had several (Plastic) guns and will more then likely consider trading most of them, but the 1911..... NO!!! No trading of that weapon. It is mine for good.

Magyars

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Mar 6, 2010
    Delaware County Freehold
    Gospil of John

As translated from the original ancient manuscripts by Fr. Frog.
    © copyright 2002 by John C. Schaefer

1 In the beginning was the 1911, and the 1911 was THE pistol, and it was good. And behold the Lord said, "Thou shalt not muck with my disciple John's design for it is good and it workith. For John made the 1911, and lo all of his weapons, from the designs which I, the Lord, gave him upon the mountain."
    2 "And shouldst thou muck with it, and hang all manner of foul implements upon it, and profane its internal parts, thou shalt surely have malfunctions, and in the midst of battle thou shalt surely come to harm."
    3 And as the ages passed men in their ignorance and arrogance didst forget the word of the Lord and began to profane the 1911. The tribe of the gamesman did place recoil spring guides and extended slide releases upon the 1911 and their metal smiths didst tighten the tolerances and alter parts to their liking, their clearness of mind being clouded by lust.
    4 Their artisans did hang all manner of foul implements upon the 1911 and did so alter it that it became impractical to purchase. For lo, the artisans didst charge a great tax upon the purchasers of the 1911 so that the lowly field worker could not afford one. And the profaning of the internal parts didst render it unworkable when the dust of the land fell upon it, and these profaners didst try and fit more rounds of ammunition into the magazines than the holy number of seven, appointed for the .45.
    5 And lo, they didst install adjustable sights, which are an abomination unto the Lord. For they doth break and lose their zero when thou dost need true aim. And those who have done so will be slain in great numbers by their enemies in the great battle. a
    6 And it came to pass that the Lord didst see the abomination wrought by man and didst cause, as he had warned, fearful malfunctions to come upon the abominations and upon the artisans who thought they could do no wrong.
    7 Seeing the malfunctions and the confusion of men, the lord of the underworld did see an opportunity to further ensnare man and didst bring forth pistols made of plastic, whose form was such that they looked and felt like a brick, yet the eyes of man being clouded, they were consumed by the plastic pistol and did buy vast quantities of them.
    8 And being a deceitful spirit, the lord of the underworld did make these plastic pistols unamenable to the artisans of earth and they were unable to muck much with the design, and lo these pistols did appear to function.
    9 And the evil one also brought forth pistols in which the trigger didst both cock and fire them and which require a "dingus" to make them appear safe.
    10 But man being stupid did not understand these new pistols and didst proceed to shoot themselves with the plastic pistol and with the trigger cocking pistols for lo their manual of arms required great intelligence which man had long since forsaken. Yet man continue to gloat over these new pistols blaming evil forces for the negligent discharges which they themselves had committed.
    11 And when man had been totally ensnared with the plastic pistol, the lord of the underworld didst cause a plague of the terrible Ka-Boom to descend upon man and the plastic pistols delivered their retribution upon men. And there was a great wailing and gnashing of teeth in the land.
    12 Then seeing that the eyes of man were slowly being opened and that man was truly sorrowful for his sinful misdeeds, the Lord did send his messengers in the form of artisans who did hear and obey the teachings of the prophet and who didst restore the profaned 1911s to their proper configuration, and lo, to the amazement of men they didst begin to work as the prophet had intended.
    13 And the men of the land didst drive out the charlatans and profaners from the land, and there was joy and peace in the land, except for the evil sprits which tried occasionally to prey on the men and women of the land and who were sent to the place of eternal damnation b by the followers of John.
    a Several old manuscripts add the following text. "And they [also rendered as "these men"] didst chamber it for cartridges who's calibers startith with numbers less than the Holy Number 4. And lo the Lord did cause great grief amongst these men when their enemies who were struck in battle with these lesser numbers didst not fall but did continue to cause great harm."
    b or Hell

bluepkp

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    I bought a Taurus PT1911 when it first came out and have 8,000+ rounds through it without a problem. I love it, its a great gun for the money.

desmodue

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 19, 2010
    Peru, IN
    OK. I feel like I must make a rebuttal now that people have quoted my previous remarks.

If I were forced to own just one handgun, the choice would be difficult, but more than likely it would be a 1911. But I am very familiar with the 1911, I don't claim to be an expert, I do however have a very long and familiar understanding of what is right with the 1911. Is it the perfect example of what a handgun should be? No. But nothing else is either. Guns are mission specific, to be able to fulfill every possible scenario, you need about 20 different guns. The 1911 holds a very special place in history, in tactical application, and in the hearts of many shooters.

But if a new shooter asks if he should just jump on the 1911 bandwagon, I have to say...No. There are way too many urban legends, notions, preconceptions, etc about the 1911. It's best that the first introduction to John Browning's masterpiece be taken with an open mind, there is certainly an over abundance of hype for every weapon platform. With such zeal it is easy to disillusion a new shooter.

The 1911 doesn't need a bevy of fanboy cheerleaders, like so many of the plastic wunder pistols seem to acquire. IMHO, it is better to encourage people to look elsewhere to make their early mistakes, guided by hyperbole, useless statistics, and a misguided attempt to acheive tactical superiority.

After being exposed to everything else, the decision should be easy.
    Only the tragically hip will dismiss the 1911.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom