• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    Just sing this song the way you were taught to sing it in kindergarten - straight up, no styling. ... Francis Scott Key does not need any help."

FSK didn't write the music. Just the words. He wrote a fine poem.

Musically, it's a wretched song. I wish we could replace it. I hate hearing it, especially when full of embellishments. And I always hated performing it. Like a lot of revered hynms of that period, you take some decent lyrics/poems and cram them into a drinking/bar tune (or a tune in the style of a tavern song), and today we act like St Peter himself penned some beautiful musical masterpiece........

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anacreontic_Society
    "While the society's membership, one observer noted, was dedicated to "wit, harmony, and the god of wine," their primary goal (beyond companionship and talk) was to promote an interest in music.... It soon became a popular drinking song on both sides of the Atlantic. But the melody, if not the original lyrics, would acquire even greater fame after Francis Scott Key, an attorney, wrote "Defence of Fort M'Henry""

-rvb

Last edited:

DFacres

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 14, 2015
    This sphere
    Getting the FAA to time it right is sometimes a pain. I was in a 4 ship (F4C) flyover of the Peace Bridge at Niagara Falls once for the repatriation of remains of soldiers from the war of 1812, we got into wingtip formation right on time and headed for the bridge when the controller asked us to orbit and descend...through a solid cloud bank...in wingtip formation...yeah, sure, we'll turn and descend through clouds while close enough to shake hands; many expletives were vented on squadron common. A lot of controllers are not pilots and really don't know what they are telling people to do let alone having any concept of timing that doesn't impact quitting time or lunch.

The FAA controller was probably many miles from where you were, so how would you expect
    them to know you were in the vicinity of problematic clouds. Instead of complaining on
    the squadron comm, why not communicate to controllers the issue instead? Most likely your
    flight formation was a VFR one, so if ATC knew there were clouds that were of issue,
    they wouldn’t have you fly through them since FAR’s require you to remain out of clouds.
    Just sayin...

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    The FAA controller was probably many miles from where you were, so how would you expect
    them to know you were in the vicinity of problematic clouds. Instead of complaining on
    the squadron comm, why not communicate to controllers the issue instead? WE DID. Most likely your
    flight formation was a VFR one NOPE, so if ATC knew there were clouds that were of issue,
    they wouldn’t have you fly through them since FAR’s require you to remain out of clouds. If we were VFR we wouldn't have been talking to a controller unless looking for point outs.
    Just sayin...

Just sayin...

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I've come to the point that when the Star Spangled Banner is played before an event, I usually hit the Mute button or change the channel.
    I'm sick of hearing it butchered and jived up by losers who're either UNABLE (and are trying to hide it) or unwilling to sing it correctly.

Not to mention that traditionally, the audience is supposed to have the option of singing along with it.
    Which is made impossible by their selfishness.

BluedSteel

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2018
    Huntingburg
    I got this from an "old war horse" friend. "With all the kindness I can muster, I give this one piece of advice to the pop star who is asked to sing the National Anthem at the Super Bowl: save the vocal gymnastics and the physical gyrations for your concerts. Just sing this song the way you were taught to sing it in kindergarten - straight up, no styling. "Sing it with the constant awareness that there are soldiers, sailors, airmen and Marines watching you from bases and outposts all over the world. Don't make them cringe with your self-centered ego gratification. Sing it as if you are standing before a row of 96-year-old WWII vets wearing their Purple Hearts, Silver Stars and flag pins on their cardigans and you want them to be proud of you for honoring them and the country they love - not because you want them to think you are a superstar musician. They could see that from your costume, makeup and your entourage. Sing 'The Star Spangled Banner' with the courtesy and humility that tells the audience that it is about America, not you. Francis Scott Key does not need any help." Semper Fi !
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^AMEN^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    ...or the National Anthem could just be played. Why can't an orchestra play it and the fans sing? :dunno:

...and I've gone on record many times on INGO to express my desire to replace that song with something worthy of being a national anthem.

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    Um..... well...... ah......so........whew.......... ya.......:n00b:

[video=youtube_share;V5cOvyDpWfM]https://youtu.be/V5cOvyDpWfM[/video]

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    Um..... well...... ah......so........whew.......... ya.......:n00b:

[video=youtube_share;V5cOvyDpWfM]https://youtu.be/V5cOvyDpWfM[/video]
    The worst rendition I’ve seen in a minute! I don’t watch ANY sports any longer, this just happened to be on while I was eating, and it was a ****ing horrible disgrace.

dugsagun

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    portage
    Wow, that was bad! It was bad even with the sound muted so i can just look at the eye candy. Gotta love celebrities screwing up stuff that shouldnt be messed with. Yet another reason not to watch pro basketball.

DFacres

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 14, 2015
    This sphere
    WOW!
    But certainly not in a
    good sense. You all warned it
    was bad & I should have taken
    that que. Just like a baaad accident,
    you know you shouldn’t look, but you do anyway