• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    Others have chimed in, but here's my defense of my statement.

First, let's look at as The Star Spangled Banner and exclude the fact that is the official national anthem and ignore the sentimental value attached to it from near a century of functioning in that capacity.

If you can manage to do that, consider these points:
    1. It's really hard to sing giving it's fluctuation and wide range of pitch.
    2. The melody isn't that attractive when compared to other national anthems.
    3. Pop quiz - what's the first line of any other verse.
    4. Do other countries ever complain about singers mangling their national anthem or is this unique to America? My guess is the latter. Why do you think this is?
    5. Our national anthem ends in a question mark. The whole time you sing it, you're asking a question!
    6. Does it do what it's suppose to do well? What does that first verse say about America? What do the other verses say?

OK, I will give the SSB this: it's distinctive. So many nation anthems sound like... well... canonical nation anthems, even many African, S. American, and Asian ones. Of course, distinctive isn't necessarily good.

So, do you love the Star Spangled Banner because it's a good song in it's own right, or because it's the national anthem of the USA?

PS - After doing some research, I now realize that Poland has the most dated and specific lyrics of all national anthems. Latvia seems to have the most generic, and short. And Bahrain is probably the worst overall.

1. I like that the song requires range. Sounds better with multiple voices.

2.No argument there. It sounds like something you would hear coming out of the stands at Goodison Park during the Merseyside Derby.

3. Seems unfair. How many people from any country can sing more than one verse of their anthem, if it even has one? Heck, I'll bet 20% of Americans don't know how the first verse of the SSB starts.

4. I'd say it's the rabid narcissism of performers like Fergie. Instead of just singing the song, everyone has to jazz it up to stand out.

5. I love the question. It almost evokes the image of Key leaning over the gunwales of the Tonnant that morning. "Oh, say, does the Star Spangled Banner yet wave?" Then he turns around and looks at Admiral Cochrane with a :poop: eating grin, flips him off with both hands, and walks away.*

But in all seriousness, it does evoke a sense that it isn't guaranteed. That flag isn't just assumed to fly. Someone has to keep it flying.

6. See 5

For all that, I would agree we could have done better. But it's ours now, and at least it doesn't bore you to death like most anthems. I'm looking at you, Canada.

*History of 'Merica according to Woobie, volume 2: **** Yeah!

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder

2.No argument there. It sounds like something you would hear coming out of the stands at Goodison Park during the Merseyside Derby.

3. Seems unfair. How many people from any country can sing more than one verse of their anthem, if it even has one? Heck, I'll bet 20% of Americans don't know how the first verse of the SSB starts.

4. I'd say it's the rabid narcissism of performers like Fergie. Instead of just singing the song, everyone has to jazz it up to stand out.

5. I love the question. It almost evokes the image of Key leaning over the gunwales of the Tonnant that morning. "Oh, say, does the Star Spangled Banner yet wave?" Then he turns around and looks at Admiral Cochrane with a :poop: eating grin, flips him off with both hands, and walks away.*

But in all seriousness, it does evoke a sense that it isn't guaranteed. That flag isn't just assumed to fly. Someone has to keep it flying.

6. See 5

For all that, I would agree we could have done better. But it's ours now, and at least it doesn't bore you to death like most anthems. I'm looking at you, Canada.

*History of 'Merica according to Woobie, volume 2: **** Yeah!

:rockwoot::patriot:

cerebus85

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    Mar 5, 2012
    I agree with this completely. it is the song of the nation not of the person singing it. I don't want to see the stylized version or the "modern" version. I want to see the version that makes me proud and humbled at what our country has accomplished...

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne

As to its being "hard to sing", I would buy that for an average schmuck.
    But a professional. . B.S.

I'm an average schmuck, and so are most of us. That's why many, many people just stand with our hand on our heart and our mouth shut, which I find sad.

PS - Woobie, I can't rep you right now, but :yesway:

EDIT: I want to be like these Ferrari mechanics or Vettel. Instead, I look like Kimi, just standing there with my mouth shut (see 0:28 mark):
    <em>[video=youtube;IkIBom0oMGg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IkIBom0oMGg[/video]

Last edited:

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    I'm an average schmuck, and so are most of us. That's why many, many people just stand with our hand on our heart and our mouth shut, which I find sad.

I think it's more that I KNOW I'm a lousy singer, I just don't need everyone else to know it. That said though I do sing it in a low voice so as not to offend those around me.

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville

You're right about the average schmuck thing. I mean about me, not you. You're probably an outstanding schmuck :D Depending on what key it's started in, I'm either going to miss the high notes or the low ones.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    one things for sure, you can tell who can really sing and who can't based on how they perform this song. Fergie should have declined due to "schedule conflict"....

-rvb

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    one things for sure, you can tell who can really sing and who can't based on how they perform this song. Fergie should have declined due to "schedule conflict"....

-rvb

There really aren't that many "legit" singers anymore. I know a guy who sings opera... and yeah, I don't like Opera, but he would do other songs, and I swear he could dang near make the sun rise on cue. He sounded better the the people who did the actual songs in a recording studio. Church ladies and opera singers... oh, and some crooners seem to be legit. lol

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Just.... Damn!

[video=youtube;HU0SZXcNNbY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HU0SZXcNNbY[/video]
    Damn is right! I'd be okay nominating her to sing the anthem at the Superbowl in perpetuity. She did a better job than a lot of the "famous" singers have done. And she did it with such "heart". Kaepernick could learn a thing or two from her. And I'm not talking about singing.

Top Bottom