• ...and so much more!
  • JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Well, make a terrible song the national anthem, and this is what you get.

I dare say no one ever mutilated Hail Columbia like this.

daddyusmaximus

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.9%
    88   1   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Remington
    Well, make a terrible song the national anthem, and this is what you get.

I dare say no one ever mutilated Hail Columbia like this.

I don't know what makes you say it's a terrible song.

Remember what it is. It's our National Anthem. It's only meant to convey pride in the nation. It's not a love song, or a dance tune. It does what it's suppose to very well... if it's performed correctly.

Whoever wrote the music, matched it up well with the words.

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish

Remember what it is. It's our National Anthem. It's only meant to convey pride in the nation. It's not a love song, or a dance tune. It does what it's suppose to very well... if it's performed correctly.

The person who wrote the music, did so many years before the words were written.

Fances Scott Key wrote a poem, originally titled "The Defense of Fort McHenry" in 1814.

The words to that poem were set to the music of a popular English drinking song, written by John Stafford Smith, titled "To Anacreon in Heaven"

The new song became popularly known as "The Star Spangled Banner", and President Woodrow Wilson declared in 1916 that it be played at all official events.

It didn't become the official National Anthem until 1931.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011

The tune existed before the lyrics. The words were actually matched to the tune, the Anacreon song. It's was a bit risqué for the time.

cayce

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2018
    Carmel
    All the 'ego heads' has to jazz it up to show how special they are. If I EVER see some moron not stand to attention I will express my disapproval by any means possible.

daddyusmaximus

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.9%
    88   1   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Remington
    The tune existed before the lyrics. The words were actually matched to the tune, the Anacreon song. It's was a bit risqué for the time.

OK, learning has occurred, but that doesn't make it a bad song. It's probably a better Anthem, then an English drinking song. It just has to be sang right. That idiot fergie butchered it so badly ISIS wants to take credit for it...

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne

Others have chimed in, but here's my defense of my statement.

First, let's look at as The Star Spangled Banner and exclude the fact that is the official national anthem and ignore the sentimental value attached to it from near a century of functioning in that capacity.

If you can manage to do that, consider these points:
    1. It's really hard to sing giving it's fluctuation and wide range of pitch.
    2. The melody isn't that attractive when compared to other national anthems.
    3. Pop quiz - what's the first line of any other verse.
    4. Do other countries ever complain about singers mangling their national anthem or is this unique to America? My guess is the latter. Why do you think this is?
    5. Our national anthem ends in a question mark. The whole time you sing it, you're asking a question!
    6. Does it do what it's suppose to do well? What does that first verse say about America? What do the other verses say?

OK, I will give the SSB this: it's distinctive. So many nation anthems sound like... well... canonical nation anthems, even many African, S. American, and Asian ones. Of course, distinctive isn't necessarily good.

So, do you love the Star Spangled Banner because it's a good song in it's own right, or because it's the national anthem of the USA?

PS - After doing some research, I now realize that Poland has the most dated and specific lyrics of all national anthems. Latvia seems to have the most generic, and short. And Bahrain is probably the worst overall.

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    If I EVER see some moron not stand to attention I will express my disapproval by any means possible.

I generally don't agree with morons, but I'd defend any moron's right not to stand at attention during the national anthem. For all I know, he's got a bad back or a bum knee.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    OK, learning has occurred, but that doesn't make it a bad song. It's probably a better Anthem, then an English drinking song. It just has to be sang right. That idiot fergie butchered it so badly ISIS wants to take credit for it...

Yeah, she murdered it. One of the worst renditions I've ever heard.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    I generally don't agree with morons, but I'd defend any moron's right not to stand at attention during the national anthem. For all I know, he's got a bad back or a bum knee.

:+1:

That awkward moment when you make a scene asking a disabled veteran to stand up during the National Anthem.

Top Bottom