• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Cemetery-man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    Bremen
    I love to rev my engine at stops. Of course all I get are stares until they realize how much power I'm ready to unleash with that 49cc powerhouse!

snowman46919

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 27, 2010
    Marion
    I rev for several reasons.

#1 my butt itches and it needs scratched. The vibration helps to chisel off the dingleberries.

#2 my genitalia is abnormally substandard, however my engine is quite substantial and i want you to know about it.

#3 I only ride one day a year, only during "shuttle launch" conditions, and only for a 5 minute trip downtown. I pose on my bike for several hours on the circle before the ride back. I want you to know that i actually am riding, and if you're not looking, i'm going to be as noisy as possible until you do.

#4 To cover flatulence.

By the way if you call me out on any of the above reasons, i will deny and explain that the sole reason i'm reving is because my muffler bearing is bogging down the air fuel mixture causing my flux capacitor to overheat and become unstable...by not reving the engine at stop lights or under bridges the consequences could be dire. They club a baby seal and we lose an acre of rainforest for every missed opportunity to rev.
    Can't use the muffler bearing excuse anymore.. they actually exist and will be all over america in short order.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    To all of you "Loud Pipes Save Lives" folks...

Would you PLEASE cite some references?

Like some kind of official academic / transportation industry-related study?

Some shred of evidence to back up this oft-repeated claim? Pretty please?

-J-

snowman46919

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 27, 2010
    Marion

-J-

Can you provide anything that says it doesn't? More than likely there hasn't been any research to prove or disprove the theory. I can only provide what I have seen from personal experience, and from that experience my step dads 99 soft tail custom with vance hines longshots gets noticed a lot more often than my moms stock exhaust on her 93 sporty. If it weren't as such why is the automotive industry putting so much R & D time into making electric cars sound like a real car?

~*~*~*~*~*EDIT*~*~*~*~*~

I was right there is not much fact to prove the theory, also there is not much fact to disprove either. Not enough to the point that a proper scientific conclusion can be drawn. I did however find this post from a trial lawyer in Boston that I find makes a good point in stating not necessarily the loudness but the throatiness is what helps. I took that to be not incessantly loud but the deep pitch in which aftermarket exhaust can give you does get the attention of others around you.

Loud Pipes Save Lives

Last edited:

ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    Loud pipes won't keep anyone from pulling out in front of you or turning left in front of you.

They might keep people from merging into you, but the between a well sealed cab and a loud radio, they might not be able to hear you.

Visual cues are much better at getting attention than noise.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder

-J-

What? You haven't seen the catchy bumper stickers. Personally, I don't hear 'em until it would be too late. That's why I probably check more than most bike unaware people when I'm in traffic. I wouldn't want to be responsible for wasting somebody on a bike.

We witnessed a pickup/bike interaction one night; we were in the left turn lane with a harley clone in front of us. Our turn arrow went green, the rider dropped it into gear and made his left turn. When he was perfectly perpendicular to the cross traffic a driver not paying attention saw the flash of the green arrow next to him and pulled out and t-boned the bike perfectly center mass! Fortunately for the biker it "ONLY" broke his leg in about 10 different places, wasted the bike though:noway: No reason for this accident other than a severe case of H.U.A. That's why I tell anybody considering purchasing a bike to ride it like everybody else on the road is trying to kill you!

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Can you provide anything that says it doesn't? More than likely there hasn't been any research to prove or disprove the theory. I can only provide what I have seen from personal experience, and from that experience my step dads 99 soft tail custom with vance hines longshots gets noticed a lot more often than my moms stock exhaust on her 93 sporty. If it weren't as such why is the automotive industry putting so much R & D time into making electric cars sound like a real car?

~*~*~*~*~*EDIT*~*~*~*~*~

I was right there is not much fact to prove the theory, also there is not much fact to disprove either. Not enough to the point that a proper scientific conclusion can be drawn. I did however find this post from a trial lawyer in Boston that I find makes a good point in stating not necessarily the loudness but the throatiness is what helps. I took that to be not incessantly loud but the deep pitch in which aftermarket exhaust can give you does get the attention of others around you.

Loud Pipes Save Lives

I don't need somebody elses research to tell ME that when I'm driving my car with the windows rolled up, I DON'T HEAR loud pipes until they're pointed at me.
    You're KIDDING yourself if you think somebody with their windows rolled up and often the radio on, hears you until your LOUD pipes are pointed at them.

NOTE: The motorcycle has to be PAST me or going AWAY from me for the pipes to be pointed at me.

How does this save a motorcyclist's life?

What cracks me up about these "loud pipes save lives" people is that they're one of the LARGEST groups of riders who wear NO PROTECTIVE GEAR.

ROARING with straight pipes down the road wearing just a t-shirt and a pair of bluejeans with no helmet may look "cool" to SOME, but when I see it, I see somebody looking to be nominated for a Darwin Award... LOL :-)

It's MORE important to be VISIBLE (yet assume you're INVISIBLE), AND WEAR PROTECTIVE GEAR for WHEN, NOT IF, you wreck your motorcycle.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    I got news for you...

It was a Sportster. It wasn't ever "awesome"... :D

Dude, kiss my......:D

Loud pipes don't save lives. IF you have to rev it for mechanical reasons, just fix it!

Let's face it, we only rev our bikes and make them louder is because it's just ****ing awesome.

That's the only reason. And don't jump down my throat. I'm saying it because I was a biker for years. I rode trips, and rode with other hardcore bikers. And they will tell you the same.

Loud is just awesome.

target64

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Apr 22, 2009
    West Side
    My :twocents: on "the loud pipes saves lives" mantra...
    I will agree that, for most people in cars to "hear" a bike it has to be next to them or in front of them....

But did a driver see the biker first or hear them first...

1)If they saw them first then they are somewhat aware of their surroundings. Thus they realize there might encounter more bikes during their journey.

2) If they heard them first, then maybe they will realize that they need to be more aware of other motorists be it either cars, bikes, etc.
    Therefore....maybe the life it saved was not even a biker....

Just my thoughts....yours may vary....but either way...good luck and stay safe.

P.S. Even if I rev at a light.....doubt anyone would notice my GL1800***:):

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    Cue this famous scene from Top Gun (pardon the spanish translation...can't find the english version) where he revs the bike so he can't here her.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJoD5m-wHms&NR=1[/ame]

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    My :twocents: on "the loud pipes saves lives" mantra...
    I will agree that, for most people in cars to "hear" a bike it has to be next to them or in front of them....

But did a driver see the biker first or hear them first...

1)If they saw them first then they are somewhat aware of their surroundings. Thus they realize there might encounter more bikes during their journey.

2) If they heard them first, then maybe they will realize that they need to be more aware of other motorists be it either cars, bikes, etc.
    Therefore....maybe the life it saved was not even a biker....

Just my thoughts....yours may vary....but either way...good luck and stay safe.

P.S. Even if I rev at a light.....doubt anyone would notice my GL1800***:):

I ALWAYS SEE them first, because when they're coming towards me, their pipes are pointed AWAY from me.

The ONLY ones I hear first are the ones roaring past my house when I'm sitting inside.
    Or the ones I hear when standing in my yard or walking down the street.
    Hardly a life saving event. :-)

I've NEVER in my life been alerted of a motorcycle that I was in a position of colliding with because they had loud pipes.

Because of this, I work at being VISIBLE when I ride.

Double bright lights in the daytime, a DAY GLOW YELLOW riding jacket along with full protective gear, helmet and gloves for when, not if I wreck my motorcycle.

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 29, 2009
    the kitchen
    Few things in life more satisfying than a perfectly rev-matched downshift. ;)

Ahhh! The only resonable answer IMO for a modern bike on this thread.
    Thank you!

I don't blip stopped, only for the downshift. Kids these days have slipper clutches that make no-blip downshifts less traumatic to chassis stability.

Low idle problems I understand.

Someone help me on the light sensor tripping on a throttle blip.:dunno: That one sounds like pure BS or a misunderstanding about how the sensors work.

snowman46919

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 27, 2010
    Marion
    Someone help me on the light sensor tripping on a throttle blip.:dunno: That one sounds like pure BS or a misunderstanding about how the sensors work.

It is most sensors I know of are not tripped from weight but by the presence of ferric materials. That is why they sell magnets to mount to scooters and motorcycles to put on the bottom of the frame to help trip the light.

$mooth

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 27, 2010
    Texas
    It is most sensors I know of are not tripped from weight but by the presence of ferric materials. That is why they sell magnets to mount to scooters and motorcycles to put on the bottom of the frame to help trip the light.

yeah, they use the magnetic properties in a vehicle to change the inductance in the sensor. but I still don't see how reving an engine will change that?

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Hondolane
    Top Bottom