• ...and so much more!
  • rkwhyte2

aka: Vinny
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Sep 26, 2012
    Sheridan
    I had one I bought in late 80's/early 90 and wasn't impressed. Wish I had it just to sell for what they go for now. The Ruger GP100 I replaced it with was superior in every way that mattered.

I also had one at about the same time. It started to develop a line on the cylinder after very little shooting. I sold it before I moved to Cali. Like you I wish I had held onto it just for it's current resale value.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Good looking revolvers that never go out of style. Here's one of mine with a 1911 and a Schofield.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    The new Python is for those that don't own an original Python.
    Or for those that do, but want to shoot/hunt w a Colt.

Old Pythons are old Pythons, and they are a fixed number. Their value should remain decent. The high prices some folks ask, well you always have that. Doesn't mean they are really worth it. But Colt has the name, or had it. Either way, they will be expensive (old Pythons).

Anacondas............sucked and always have.
    44 mag ( and 45 Colt) big cheap versions of the ribbed snake.

If the new Python comparable, it'll be a dud.

Got a Python? Good for you :)
    Know several guys that have one or a couple, most of them afraid to shoot em (many unfired).
    "investment" they say. Maybe. Again, goody for them.

IMHO buy a used one and shoot it. Life is short.

But in the end its just a wimpy .357 that for general usage, is over priced.
    But then a pre lock 686 is getting stoopid in price too.

Oh well.

I shot a yote and an 8 pt with a 4 digit E series Python.
    No big deal.
    But no matter what anybody says.............it was cool.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    GP100 superior? Must listen to pop country too.
    Not everybody has the background or sensitivity to pick up on a Python's finesse.
    Of course some folks don't but try to blow smoke up everybody's arse about it too.

Pythons are nice.

Are they worth the price? I doubt it.
    But if you want one ya gotta pay.

Is what it is.

Personally I dislike the doughnut at the muzzle and flat topstrap.
    And the kidney shaped trigger guard, is OK, but only on the smaller framed stuff.
    Looks hideous on an Anaconda.

Want a good looking robust .357?

Smith 686. 6 shot. Pre lock.

I grew up shooting Colts. No probs. Like em well enough. But prefer Smith in revolvers.
    But.............a Python is a Python.

Hate the factory wood grips or Pachmayrs on em. Thin Hogue rubber grips and a trigger job (Custom Shop) and it's a nice rig.
    Damn nice rig.

Pop cans on side, bottom facing you. 50 yards. Nail em. Boringly repeatable.
    Guess if ya suck shooting it doesn't matter what ya have.
    But if you're a decent one, ya might actually enjoy a Python.

For the cost? That is entirely up to you.
    I wouldn't pay 3K for one.
    Just a .357 IMHO.

Then again, I won't pay 500 for a GP100. I can buy a brick cheaper than that.

yetti462

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 18, 2016
    Unglaciated heaven
    I passed up a Python and an anaconda in favor of a 686 and a 629. I love my Smith's but value wise Ive always kicked myself. If a new offering of a Python hits the market I'll get one just to have a Python.

JHB

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 7, 2016
    Columbus
    Back in the old days the saying was. You want a gun to look at buy a Colt. You want a gun to shoot buy a Smith.
    I had a buddy that bought a Python. The cylinder latch was scratching the side of the gun when you opened the cylinder it was machined off. The gun went back. A few years later it went back again timing went out.
    AS far as the machinery goes it is no more accurate now than it was back then. Now a days the programmer writes a program and the operator pushes a button. Back then the operator ran the machine. When you have an operator that knows what he is doing on a machine that is maintained properly you get good parts. With CNC machinery the operator needs less training. The problem now is management and production schedules. When the operator sends up a flag for a problem and is told run it who is at fault?
    I have a couple of the old ones I will wait and see on the new ones.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    If you get the chance to shoot a Manurhin MR73, do it. You will forget about Colts and Smiths and Rugers. Not that I don't like Smiths and Rugers... fine guns for sure, especially once they've been "doctored". But a Manurhin MR73... well, you just have to shoot one and handle one.

This is mine. Yes, the finish is worn, but the surface is still as smooth as glass. The trigger rides on roller bearings and is fully adjustable. Each gun goes through more than 12 hours of hand fitting.

HcEXC1C.jpg

p1HDAws.jpg

G6GqrAN.jpg

[img
    vu2PgMs.jpg

LbkhstZ.jpg

oya3YEe.jpg

clRuFtw.jpg

"Every MR 73 is match grade accurate, shipped with its own factory test target fired at 25 m (27.3 yd). Averaging 15 rounds, no group over 20 mm (0.79 in) diameter with selected ammunition is allowed."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manurhin_MR_73

Last edited:

Clay Pigeon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 3, 2016
    Summitville
    Back when they were new we couldn't give away King Cobras or Anacondas, I can't believe what they go for now. I do love the looks of the Python and the mystique but that's pretty much all it is. I owned a 4 inch blued before and never owned another after that. They are known for lacking in durability/timing issues, the trigger was not that awesome I think that comes more from people that have not actually owned one. Plus the grips/grip shape while they look nice are not that comfortable for actual shooting. If one popped up for a crazy low price I'd probably buy it though lol.

I agree wholeheartedly, I have owned an 8" blue Python since the early eightys. Yep I shot it until it squirted wad-cutter lead out the left side of the forcing cone, luckily a good friend worked in LE sales for Colt for 20 years and he dropped it off in Hartford for service. It came back with Eliason's on top of it and Colts unbelievable trigger job all for a bottle of VO.
    I gave it to my youngest when he graduated from HS.
    Its in a safe here with lots of bluing missing from the trigger and a darn good ring around the cylinder.

Full Disclosure, I shot heavily in two PPC leagues for 10-15 years before the pistol was out of time. Best 325 dollar revolver I ever bought....

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I do remember seeing the Python on the cover of Guns and Ammo in the late 70's or early 80's (long before I ever thought of having a handgun) and thinking it was the sexiest thing I'd ever seen on the cover of a magazine, except for Playboy or Penthouse. :): Just loved that vent rib. By the time I got interested in handguns, the prices had already gone well out of my range. :(

Indynic

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 30, 2013
    Parts Unknown
    Colt KNOWS they can’t screw this up. I have high expectations.

The new King Cobra Target 4” has a better trigger, in both SA & DA right now out of the box than an S&W. It soaks up recoil very nicely even with the wood grips. The only drawback I see on it is the ejector rod. It isn’t long enough for 357 casings & it can stick when firmly depressed.

If they fix those issues & sweeten the trigger even more they’ll have a winner.

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Colt KNOWS they can’t screw this up. I have high expectations.

The new King Cobra Target 4” has a better trigger, in both SA & DA right now out of the box than an S&W. It soaks up recoil very nicely even with the wood grips. The only drawback I see on it is the ejector rod. It isn’t long enough for 357 casings & it can stick when firmly depressed.

If they fix those issues & sweeten the trigger even more they’ll have a winner.

I'm looking forward to seeing it. I think the Cobra's and the King Cobra are nice efforts and the prices aren't out of line, even new S&W revolvers are up there in price now. Even the newest King Cobra Target at approximately 890.00 give or take isn't bad if you're a revolver guy. They might have gotten more mileage out of it if they had cut some vents and called it a Diamondback II or something? I think everybody knows this isn't going to be a 50's or 60's Python but it might be a good homage. They'll have to be careful with pricing though. New gunowners aren't likely to be looking at it and those who already own real Pythons probably aren't interested so that leaves those that like Pythons but can't afford a real one so they can't come out of the gate too expensive.

357 Terms

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 28, 2012
    Between SB and FT.W
    The sideplate screw above the trigger guard is in a different location than a Python, and seems to be the same as a new KC.
    Long bolt notches on the new one, different rear sight. I'm thinking the more drastic changers are internally (from an original Python at least)

Top Bottom