The newest generation gets their gun info from call of duty.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pirate

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jul 2, 2011
    Those "kids" usually don't throw the 60 bucks themselves on the counter to buy the game in most cases. Nothing like watching 7 year olds play games about murder...

images

crispy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 29, 2010
    Noblesville
    Yup... in real life your peripheral vision doesn't turn red each time you get hit. In real life there are no "respawns".

If video games wanted realism, your character would be running along and the screen would go mute/blank (cause you don't hear the one that gets you) and your game would melt (there would be no re-playing).

jmiller676

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 16, 2009
    18 feet up
    I don't know how many times I have corrected people on line. Once some d-bag said thats the last clip for my Glock....I asked him what model of Glock it was because it must be old...he started cussing me out saying he just bought it before the match. :ugh:

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    Me and my 3 boys play those games, but my kids have all actually fired REAL AKs, ARs, Saigas (thanks to Mammynun;)) Mosin Nagants, M1 Garands, 1911s, .44 magnums, various shotguns, rifles, handguns. I don't mind them playing and have never gotten the sense from any of them that they feel like it's a real experience.

ryknoll3

Master
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    I don't know how many times I have corrected people on line. Once some d-bag said thats the last clip for my Glock....I asked him what model of Glock it was because it must be old...he started cussing me out saying he just bought it before the match. :ugh:

Since at least 1/2 of the people at your average shooting range call it a "clip" too, I don't think you can blame COD for this one. =)

SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    Before I was a gun guy I was a ww2 Hx buff. I got "Brothers in Arms, Road to Hill 30" as a gift years ago and thought it was awesome. It won awards by the history channel (for historical content not gun or "real life" accuracy) The "training" part designed to get used to the controls discussed each weapon, its practical use, and so on. I wasn't a gun guy when I played it and now that I'm a gun guy I haven't played it in years so I can't say how gun accurate it is. I can say I remember playing other games after that one and being offended at how you can shoot a guy with a pistol 200 yds away. Other games try to "equalize" the similar weapons (like the K98 vs. the M1 Garand) to make "play" more even but "Brothers in Arms" tried to make each weapon as historically accurate as possible. When you finish a section of the game it unlocks the historical narrative of what actually happened in that same town. They basically took WW2 historical events, re-created the town and physical layout, situation, and goals, then you had at it. After you tried they let you know what really happened. Obviously, it is a computer game, not basic training but from a history buff perspective it was MUCH better than any other.

My point is that, I was the guy that the OP is complaining about at one point but I can now see his complaint. (I'm not complaining about his complaining :D) But you should consider also that these games might have been the stimulus to get people into guns where they might not have otherwise.
    I know it doesn't lessen the annoyance of having someone impart their "knowledge" on you that really only explains how mis-informed they are. The trick for me is to say to yourself, I've been given another chance to help someone grow up. :):

snowrs

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 4, 2011
    Evansville
    I have never run into anyone who claimed they were an expert because they used one in a video game, but I am also much older than the OP. I use to play Warcraft, and I knew that no matter how hard I try I cannot shoot fireballs out of my hands. I also am not a hot elf but that discussion isfor another thread.

db1959

Resident Dumbass I
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 4, 2011
    In a garage
    Not to long ago My friend brought his 12 year old over to do some shooting. The kid saw my Beretta 92 and said "Look, a M9!". He was close enough in my book. He identified the SKS and he new the Mosin Nagant. All from playing CoD, WaW and the battlefield series. He was a pretty good shot too.

bigg cheese

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2009
    Crawfordsville
    Better than the Counterstrike kids from the last batch and their "Deagle" nonsense.

Counter-strike is a great game :). Purely entertainment though. I've only been playing it since the year it was release... what, in 1999 :)?

And yes, I was a deagle guy who got kick-ass headshots all the time :).

favorite is still the P90 though :). I'd be a happy owner of one if I could afford it :).

jmiller676

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 16, 2009
    18 feet up
    Counter-strike is a great game :). Purely entertainment though. I've only been playing it since the year it was release... what, in 1999 :)?

And yes, I was a deagle guy who got kick-ass headshots all the time :).

favorite is still the P90 though :). I'd be a happy owner of one if I could afford it :).

AHHH yes...the P90 in most games now the same effective range as aa M110 SASS.

Count Blackula

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 15, 2010
    South Bend
    My son play a video game where the sniper has to hit you twice with a 50 BMG to kill you:n00b::n00b:
    Is it Battlefield Bad Company 2, by chance? I love that game. :D

I'd be lying if I said my initial interest in guns wasn't due to video games, but I've always known the line between entertainment and reality, especially since owning a few rifles for approximately a year. Whenever I have the chance to pass on that knowledge to someone inexperienced with guns, I do it. :)

Top Bottom