• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Pami

INGO Mom
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Next to Lars
    How would anyone ever get laid if they're all wearing masks and moo-moos?

The species would cease to exist.

That explains for the forced marriage and institutionalized rape.
    That's essentially the idea, if I remember my studies correctly. Women wear the shapeless, conservative, covering garments to resist temptation. If a man can't see what she looks like, it will be easier for him to not have lustful thoughts, and it will be easier for her to not try to tempt him.

In regards to this article: I actually doubt that the fashion industry is trying to bring the burqa into generalized Western fashion. One person the article quoted really drove home the point: if the woman is wearing the headdress and then also wearing a short skirt or hot pants, they're completely missing the point of, and in essence offending, those who do truly wear it for religious purposes.

Also, just based on the nature of this topic, please tread lightly on where this thread goes. You guys have done well enough so far. I don't want to see it go downhill. Thanks. :)

Cru

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2010
    Noblesville, IN
    I don't particularly care for the law that says you can't cover your face. I like to wear one of those under armor ninja hood things in winter because it's warm. Then all the sudden, it's illegal?

Don't get me wrong, I'm not for FORCING women to wear burkas either. I'm all for people just being able to dress how they want. I don't need ANY laws telling me how/what to wear/dress.

As for women dressing more conservatively, for some of them, it might be a good idea.

Westside

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Monitor World
    I see a very sharp double edged sword on this subject. At what point does it go from being a religious statement to being a way to hide. I have no problems with forcing someone to reveal their face for identification, i.e. drivers license ETC. But I think setting a law for a "standard of dress" is a very slipper slope, and we see how well that works for "Sensible gun control".

Ogre

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I think any citizen should be able to wear what they want. The last thing I want is a bunch of Anti-Islam nuts crying to congress to write more laws that would infringe upon the rights of citizens.

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I would bet that if any of us began wearing masks in public, they would soon be hassled by the police.

If any of you have some time to kill, why not put on those masks like the SWAT people wear and go around in downtown Indy.
    Maybe even throw in Open Carry or even Concealed Carry to make it interesting...

Go in the banks, stores, malls, etc.

Report back to us what happens.

Cru

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2010
    Noblesville, IN
    I would bet that if any of us began wearing masks in public, they would soon be hassled by the police.

If any of you have some time to kill, why not put on those masks like the SWAT people wear and go around in downtown Indy.
    Maybe even throw in Open Carry or even Concealed Carry to make it interesting...

Go in the banks, stores, malls, etc.

Report back to us what happens.

I've done it in the winter time. I have been asked for LTCH and ID, and to pull it down to verify identity. I had no problem with this and I was told to have a nice day.

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I've done it in the winter time. I have been asked for LTCH and ID, and to pull it down to verify identity. I had no problem with this and I was told to have a nice day.

But what would happen if somebody wore a SWAT mask in the Spring/Summer when it wasn't for warmth and was CLEARLY just to hide the wearers face?

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    I am reminded of Anonymous, who often wear masks at protests, to protect their identity. Privacy can be obtained in many different ways and no-one should have a say how it's done. If a woman wants to cover herself head to toe, it's none of the governments business. If she robs a bank, then that's something entirely different.

Cru

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2010
    Noblesville, IN
    But what would happen if somebody wore a SWAT mask in the Spring/Summer when it wasn't for warmth and was CLEARLY just to hide the wearers face?

It's too slippery a slope. Who decides when I am cold enough to wear my mask. What if it's for filtering air instead of warmth.

I'm not trying to be a jerk, but I'm no more for the government telling me (or anyone) what they can wear than I am for them saying what kind of gun I can carry, how I have to carry (OC/cc) or if I can carry at all.

Less gov intrusion on my personal choices is better in nearly all circumstances.

(I say "nearly" because while I can't think of an instance where I would welcome a law on something like this, I'm sure someone might think of one, and I don't like to use the word "never" unless I am REALLY sure)

kimmi

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2010
    Any woman (or man for that matter) going around in public with a mask on their face makes me suspicious of them.

they just made these illegal in france.

They didn't single out Burqas in France. They made a blanket ban on covering your face in public for any reason.

^^These don't really have anything to do with the actual "fashions" mentioned in the article anyway.

All of the following pictures are from the linked sites in the article referenced in the OP.

voyons_voir_Vogue_A_porter_par_Inez_van_Lamsweerde_et_Vinoodh_Matadin_1.jpg

Obviously these masks are not being suggested as what women should wear to the grocery store or cocktail parties. Also not being suggested is the conservative dress of Muslim women.

Hussein_Chalayan_Burka_main.jpg

Again, women are not going to actually wear this. The thing about "high fashion" designers is that they'll do anything during a runway show to get noticed. Even the crazy Hollywood and NYC types that will wear whatever Vogue tells them aren't going to walk around with a piece of fabric tossed over their faces.

20090628_abayas_560x375.jpg

This is how the fashion would actually penetrate the mainstream. it's more of a scarf that wraps over the head instead of a shroud to cover the face.

kimmi

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2010
    The law, likely to take effect in six months' time, makes it a criminal offence to "conceal one's face in public". The text makes no mention of Islam, or veils.

Taken from France's highest legal authority removes last obstacle to ban on burka - Europe, World - The Independent posted October 8, 2010.

The American news sources have inserted the words burqa and niqab into their representation of the law. I had to go to a European news source to find anything about the law itself instead of the news corporations representations found in the American sources. The law also does not apply to places of worship. Muslims are still free to wear veils for religious reasons in their mosques and other places of worship, adding to the non-religious intent of the law.

This ban may have been inspired by Muslims and burqas, but the law in its wording is not a religious one.

...on a side note, I was commenting on the fashion aspect which was the focus of the OP, but that no one else even considered. People looked at the headline and starting going on rants.

Last edited:

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    It's too slippery a slope. Who decides when I am cold enough to wear my mask. What if it's for filtering air instead of warmth.

I'm not trying to be a jerk, but I'm no more for the government telling me (or anyone) what they can wear than I am for them saying what kind of gun I can carry, how I have to carry (OC/cc) or if I can carry at all.

Less gov intrusion on my personal choices is better in nearly all circumstances.

(I say "nearly" because while I can't think of an instance where I would welcome a law on something like this, I'm sure someone might think of one, and I don't like to use the word "never" unless I am REALLY sure)

No, I don't think you're being a jerk. :-)
    I'm just trying to get a feel for the reality of what would happen if we walked around downtown in Indy on a Spring/Summer wearing a SWAT mask to cover our faces?
    I can't believe we wouldn't get hassled, especially if open carrying or even concealed carrying.

I would be suspicious of somebody walking around wearing a SWAT mask, especially if it was warm time of year.

Cru

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2010
    Noblesville, IN
    Oh I think IMPD would stop you. They might give you a lecture depending on the officer that responds. But once you comply with the DL/LTCH I think they'd send you on your way.

Other people would probably be wary of you, but you'll get that with normal OC anyway.
    People just have to decide if they're willing to deal with the reactions.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I'm just trying to get a feel for the reality of what would happen if we walked around downtown in Indy on a Spring/Summer wearing a SWAT mask to cover our faces?

Gotta add the MP5 over your shoulder just to make it look really good :D

supermahns

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    Masks in the summer are a little rediculous, but if you want to wear one who am I or anyone else to say you can't. It's not like the new fashion of sunglasses don't cover the whole persons face anyway these days.

Top Bottom