• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    If your kit didnt come with a peice of borosilicate glass for your heat bed I would suggest buying one. You will need a surface that the filament will constantly ahere to. This will greatly affect your prints.

IMHO, I've not had good luck getting PLA to stick to borosilicate glass. And when you use an adhesion modifier it makes it stick so well you break the glass trying to get it off.

I read that "print-in-z build-plates" work wonders (flexible build plate that offer excellent adhesion yet can be flexed to easily remove the part when complete), but I've never been able to try one myself.

Master
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    Hamilton County
    I will check that software out. Thanks for the tip. My brother just told be that he is using Cura. I will check out the one you are using. And thanks for the tip on the kind of glass. They say that I will need a sheet of glass. i had not heard of that kind of glass. I just looked it up and it does look like it is a much better choice for glass. I found a dealer on Ebay that sells it for $25 for 2 sheets. Is that a deal??

Its not a bad price. I think i paid around 10 bucks for my last priece i bought on amazon. In regards to filaments I strongly suggest either Hatchbox or AIO Robotics. Great prices on amazon, great quality filament.

Master
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    Hamilton County
    IMHO, I've not had good luck getting PLA to stick to borosilicate glass. And when you use an adhesion modifier it makes it stick so well you break the glass trying to get it off.

I read that "print-in-z build-plates" work wonders (flexible build plate that offer excellent adhesion yet can be flexed to easily remove the part when complete), but I've never been able to try one myself.

What adhesion aid was you using? I havent had these problems.

Master
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    Hamilton County
    I'll check the page out, thanks!

My brother says he has been using a certain hair spray on a unheated bed for awhile using PLA with good luck. ABS was giving him fits until he figured out the right bed temp. And the hair spray worked well with both.

Sauve max hold 10 (unscented) in the pink can works best. It doesnt seem like there would be a big difference between hairsprays but there really is. This one is best. Second best is Aqua net in purple can.

ABS is much more challenging to print with but can be done successfully after you get printer and software tuned in. Also the enviroment you are printing in really matters for ABS. I would start with a spool of PLA. Its super easy.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    Makerfair is recommending Fructis Extreme hold and control anti humidity hair spray #5. My Brother and my nephew both have has great luck with it. My brother says he doesn't heat the bed with PLA.

i got my shipping notice. Label printed. It ships today (paid extra for that) not sure where it ships from yet though. I am excited!

Gabriel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    The shore of wonderful Lake Michigan
    Not sure what size and material prototypes you are needing to print but if they are within my printer capabilities I would be happy to do it for you for a fraction of the cost of shapeways. Also long as you had a 3d model ready to send me. Let me know if I can ever help you.

I very much appreciate the offer, but I have the part dialed in now. Next is finding an injection molding place to have parts made.

I'm still having a hard time not getting a printer and this thread isn't helping. :laugh:

Gabriel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    The shore of wonderful Lake Michigan
    You might also check McMaster-Carr's price on page 3682 of their online catalog for the glass if you really think you need it. I've been printing PLA for two years on heated and ambient beds and have not felt a need for anything more than 3M Blue Painters tape cleaned with rubbing alcohol when it comes to PLA if your print head height tolerances are set right. Don't care for ABS fumes in the house, so I don't use it. The Midwest RepRap Festival will again be March 25-26, 2017 at Elkhart Co Fairgrounds, always a lot of info to be found there. Check out H and H 3D Filaments, made right here in Indiana and reasonably priced.

Interesting. That's not far away at all. I'll have to check it out.

4651feeder

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 21, 2016
    East of NWI
    Unfortunately they've moved most of their domain info to a Farcebook page https://www.facebook.com/midwestreprapfest where there is a pretty good catalog of pics from past years. SeeMeCNC is in Goshen and in addition to supporting the event usually has a good exhibit, including their life size Delta printer. There are still many Cartesian and Prussia Mendel style machine represented.

Master
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    Hamilton County
    I very much appreciate the offer, but I have the part dialed in now. Next is finding an injection molding place to have parts made.

I'm still having a hard time not getting a printer and this thread isn't helping. :laugh:

Just do it. Buy one. You need it...im sure you do. :-)

Master
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    Hamilton County
    Makerfair is recommending Fructis Extreme hold and control anti humidity hair spray #5. My Brother and my nephew both have has great luck with it. My brother says he doesn't heat the bed with PLA.

i got my shipping notice. Label printed. It ships today (paid extra for that) not sure where it ships from yet though. I am excited!

I havent tried that hairspary but sure it works...there are a lot that do im just fond of the two I mentioned. But glad you mention that one because now im going to try it for comparison. Yeah a heated bed is not needed for PLA but if you do ever have a problem with adhesion it can help. (Helpful with prints with very small bottom surface area.)

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    I havent tried that hairspary but sure it works...there are a lot that do im just fond of the two I mentioned. But glad you mention that one because now im going to try it for comparison. Yeah a heated bed is not needed for PLA but if you do ever have a problem with adhesion it can help. (Helpful with prints with very small bottom surface area.)

FWIW, my brother tried the Aqua net and a few others and that one worked the best for his setup. It's cheap enough to give it a try.

UPS shows it setting in Salt Lake City Utah. With the holiday involved I probably won't see it till Wednesday, maybe Tuesday if I am lucky. The other stuff I ordered will be in by then or shortly after. Maybe I will be printing something by next weekend. I am looking forward to doing the assembly.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    1911ly, did you get your printer delivered and set up yet?

Yes I did. It showed up late Wednesday. I nearly have it assembled. I just need to wire the power supply and the hot head cooling fan then the figure out the software. My media came in. I also need to get some hair spray so I can print something. I should have it printing something by the end of the day.

Once it's tested and the bugs worked out I need to shorten 90% of the wiring. I hate tied extra wires. My back is giving me fits setting in a chair for any lenght of time. So progress comes in a hour here and there. It has been a fun build. Lots of hardware. The pieces fit together very well. The directions are pretty good. They could go more in depth on the wiring routing.

It's getting close to being done.

Larry

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    florez30
    Top Bottom