• ...and so much more!
  • 1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    Kodi... damn I should have thought of that. hdmi connection. doh! Firestick is so damn slow and skippy...
    Yeah, many use a pi zero. I didn't want to run one for each printer (and a camera) possibly bogging it down. But with these I should be able to run two printers and one camera (with both printers in view) easily. $45 was a little pricey, but I opted for a case and power saving me time on printing a case and sourcing power. I don't mind running off the ethernet, as my hub is 10 ft from these printers currently. I won't bother risking wireless with the hub so close.
    If my plan works, I'll have an extra to tinker with kodi.
    I wound up picking up some arduino unos to tinker with as well. I have a mega 2560? already that i use to flash the cr-10's with, but I wanted to dabble

The mega and get a ramps 1.4 and you can do about anything. I really think the 1/32 step steppers are worth the swap all alone. I really like the setup. All the printers here now have 1/32 step drivers and BLtouch probes. I have gotten really comfortable with Marlin.

I bought a couple uno's to tinker with too. I am thinking about a 3d scanner. It will be crude. But it will be fun to tinker.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    And stick a 30mm fan on the RPi. Between that and the heat sinks it will do fine. And amazingly enough they over clock a bit and run very stable too.
    Especially running Kodi!

dhamby

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 1, 2013
    Crawfordsville area
    Well the Prusa kit showed up and plan to start assembly tomorrow. And completely in the opposite direction I came across a good deal on a little Monoprice select mini V2 that I picked up. These little machines are pretty impressive considering their cost and size.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    Having 2 printers isn't all bad ;) We've had 3 running that the same time.

It's kinda cool to have something up and running and you will have a good time building the Prusa. you will learn a lot when you do the project.

When you get some things printed please post some project prints!

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    I have been derailed a bit. The boy is sick and I am starting to feel like I am getting what he's got :-(. But I did get the last of the bugs tuned out of his Pegasus. It is printing awesome. I was having issues with the hotend temp wandering all over.

Turns out it was a bad heating element. I also made some changes to beef up the stock Pegasus extruder block. I have seen the ears break for the carriage mount. The modified one seems to work great. Even printed in PLA. I will probably put it on Thingiverse. His printer is printing great now. He is very happy.

Dhamby: how are you doing with your new printer(s)?

How are all of you doing?

Larry

Sailor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    Still printing, made these lightweight wire winders for an antenna build.
    29315337_10215882342674459_5321538083441035253_n.jpg

Jaredjosh

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2009
    Indy
    1911ly: Glad you figured out your issue. I want to see some pics of some printed items soon. As far as printing I haven't done much and have to admit I was getting bored with it until I tried the flexible media, it kinda got me excited again. I've done a couple things here and there and I recorded a time lapse video that I may post soon but my printing has slowed down as of late.

Hope you all feel better soon. As far as me I've been dealing with a lot of headaches lately. More than usual. The changing weather always makes them worse. My neurologist has referred me to a plastic surgeon. I'm not sure what he plans to do for my headaches but I'm at the point I will try anything.

Sailor: Those are pretty cool. Printing useful household items gives me a good feeling as it makes me feel like my hobby is actually benefiting me and not just a money pit. Although at the end of the day it doesn't matter if you enjoy what you are doing.

Peace out, JJ

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    Still printing, made these lightweight wire winders for an antenna build.
    29315337_10215882342674459_5321538083441035253_n.jpg

Man, I was beginging to think you were a silent key. Lol (hams will get that)

Awesome prints. Great to see you are still kicking and printing. ;) Is that a OCF? My antenna situation is really poor at the moment. I pulled most of my antennas down to cut down some trees a couple falls ago and haven't gotten much back up. This spring I need to work on that.

That setup should be awesome for field day. The last 5-6 field day antennas have been OCF's with homebrew baluns. Those things are awesome quick toss up multi band antennas.

1911ly: Glad you figured out your issue. I want to see some pics of some printed items soon. As far as printing I haven't done much and have to admit I was getting bored with it until I tried the flexible media, it kinda got me excited again. I've done a couple things here and there and I recorded a time lapse video that I may post soon but my printing has slowed down as of late.

Hope you all feel better soon. As far as me I've been dealing with a lot of headaches lately. More than usual. The changing weather always makes them worse. My neurologist has referred me to a plastic surgeon. I'm not sure what he plans to do for my headaches but I'm at the point I will try anything.

Sailor: Those are pretty cool. Printing useful household items gives me a good feeling as it makes me feel like my hobby is actually benefiting me and not just a money pit. Although at the end of the day it doesn't matter if you enjoy what you are doing.

Peace out, JJ

I hope they figure out the headaches, It might not be relevant but are you a smoker? A guy I use to work for use to have really bad migraines. He had been to several doctors for it. He decided to quit smoking and the headaches disappeared. Another friend stopped drinking Diet pop and they went away, I hope you get it figured out, I use to get a lot of them and I had my tonsils and adenoids out and they all bit disappeared. I hope they can help you soon.

I will get some pics of some prints soon. He is printing Pi case at the moment. I need to find the ninja flex I bought. That stuff was to expensive to lose! His machine should print it great.

As for money in these things, I stopped counting the cost a long time ago. lol. We are having fun and learning a lot about 3d modeling. And the boy has learned a lot about mechanics and electronics. I had a bit of a head start but I have learned a lot to. Learning the Mega board programming has been really cool. I had not gotten that far in to programming before. I am having a good time.

I still want to build the third we have been talking about for a while. I need to get this think off the kitchen table first though. For the last year it has been a work bench, lol. Lucky I am single. :):

Jaredjosh

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2009
    Indy
    1911ly I quit smoking in 2015 and I quit drinking pop a couple months ago although I didn't drink many to begin.

Some pics of the new machines prints will be cool. How did the setting go for you as far as tuning? I almost suspect it was easier with the direct drive? Yes, no, maybe?

Keep having fun, JJ.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    1911ly I quit smoking in 2015 and I quit drinking pop a couple months ago although I didn't drink many to begin.

Some pics of the new machines prints will be cool. How did the setting go for you as far as tuning? I almost suspect it was easier with the direct drive? Yes, no, maybe?

Keep having fun, JJ.

The tuning is really easy for the Extruder. His i3v was a direct drive too. it was a Wades so it uses gear reduction. The direct drives seem pretty easy. I this one is a direct drive just like my first homebrew. I have been running no retraction on either. The Bowdens need some. A little tweaking was required to dial my homebrew in. I had a far amount of weeping issues. I still have a tiny bit but it is totally bearable.

The Esteps are pretty simple to dial in on all the machines. The issue I though I had was with PID tuning. It turned out to be a bad heating element. So far his printer has been printing good. But neither of us have gotten much more done. We have a flue bug of some kind. He got it first. Today is the fist day he has felt good. I have been feelmg like crap the last few days. Hopefully this all passing in a day or too.

He needs to do a few more prints to confirm that I have the Esteps set good. They were pretty damned close on the last print. We just put a roll of the translucent green on his machine. He wants to change some of the parts on his machine. He ended up with some left over parts on his machine. The red used parts stand out against the trans green pretty bad.

RobbyMaQ

#BarnWoodStrong
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Lizton
    Not much printing this past week aside from etsy shop stuff, and a leprauchan trap for the grandkid... nothign fancy, a ladder and some gold coins.
    Roll call, who's attending MRRF? Sounds like you can still get in, just no fancy badge if you didn't preregister...

Joel got a 400% scale RC project printed, and is boxing it up to ship to the festival. Then he and the inventor are going to assemble it on Saturday.

No idea how he's getting it home lol

We will be there Saturday morning to afternoon

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    I saw thecar on his channel. Maybe he ill give it away while he is there? I will try to make it there while you are there. Is the # I have for your cell? If not let me know. I am guessing early afternoon. I doubt i will take a printer. I will see if i can get a table if possible. Might be a fun task. Then the fun would be getting it in the car. I am having issues with the Yukon or it would be no problem. I'd love to hook up with you guys. And any of you that might be goin chime in please/ Maybe mini Ingo 3d printer meet and geek greet? lol.

RobbyMaQ

#BarnWoodStrong
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Lizton
    I saw thecar on his channel. Maybe he ill give it away while he is there? I will try to make it there while you are there. Is the # I have for your cell? If not let me know. I am guessing early afternoon. I doubt i will take a printer. I will see if i can get a table if possible. Might be a fun task. Then the fun would be getting it in the car. I am having issues with the Yukon or it would be no problem. I'd love to hook up with you guys. And any of you that might be goin chime in please/ Maybe mini Ingo 3d printer meet and geek greet? lol.

Yeah, my cell # hasn't changed. Anyone else wants it pm me.
    hopefully cell service is decent. I run tracfone. bonus, they rent all cell towers, so I always have signal... providing my aging ears actually hears the phone ringing. If I don't answer, leave a message. I don't answer calls I don't recognize first time around. You are in the phone larry

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    If everything works out ok. And we go I will post up on here when we get there. I hope to meet a few of you guys.

I hope your situation changes JJ, I'd love to shake your hand. If we go I will be taking pics and hopefully some video too.

RobbyMaQ

#BarnWoodStrong
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Lizton
    If everything works out ok. And we go I will post up on here when we get there. I hope to meet a few of you guys.

I hope your situation changes JJ, I'd love to shake your hand. If we go I will be taking pics and hopefully some video too.

Damn, they are calling for a couple inches of snow down here friday night through saturday... My wife cancelled our sat. evening plans, freeing up the day for MRRF, but I'm watching the weather closely, and may have to change plans to possibly go out Sunday instead.

Top Bottom