• Status
    Not open for further replies.

RustyHornet

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 29, 2012
    Fort Wayne, IN
    the BOP trannys are way rarer than the chevys it seems. Jegs has a chevy to bop adapter but i do worry if itll be as structurally sound if i go that route.. again self taught zero real experience
    Hey, we are all learning. I've got no experience with one of those adapters, but all I can advise is to look around and see what others are saying. You'll have the best luck looking in the BOP circles, remember it's been a long time since any of those BOP transmissions have been manufactured. Actually if you've never been, you'd do really well at Norwalk in early August for the Ames Pontiac Nationals.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    The crew of one of the race teams gave my kids a piston that had a little problem. We watched them change the cylinder sleeve too.

Here is the car it came out if. Blown alky hemi.
    13275024_1237705336249452_1257092063_o.jpg

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    Poor old girl....

Thats just wrong.....:(

Back in the day that was state of the art! I worked part time in a body shop in 78 in Key West; a kid I had been in high school with had a 65 mustang fastback that looked pretty decent and he wanted it repainted. When we tore into it we found out that the whole left rear quarter panel was literally built up with cardboard and bondo. They did a GREAT job as it wasn't obvious until we started prepping it for paint. Obviously my buddy was sick over it!:crying:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

My old race car...68 cuda, jegster chassis, 'glass hood ,fenders,deck lid, bumpers, 513cid alcohol injected hemi, 14 to 1 trw pistons (4.25 inch bore),Keith black crank, custom ground roller cam,Hillborn mechanical fuel injection......1150HP....

9.09 at 163 MPH best run

These old pics are all that's left......

Aaron

:thumbsup:

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    I need to pick out a tach. Wondering how big I should get an where to put it...

If you're going old school nothing says "In the know" like a Sun Super Tach II! I managed to find one for our 63 galaxie a couple of weeks ago and my GF came home last weekend from helping clean out her moms house with a working 8 Track and a couple of deck mount speakers!:rockwoot: They're just for period correctness, now I have to try and find a decent radio that'll fix the factory hole.

RustyHornet

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 29, 2012
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Dad spent about 5 hours on this today. Uncovered some more crap. He's getting pretty nervous. Got most of it worked back out and has the general shape back, but there are some areas he cannot access the backside... We will see how this turns out... Lot of work to try and save the original sheet metal.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    Dad spent about 5 hours on this today. Uncovered some more crap. He's getting pretty nervous. Got most of it worked back out and has the general shape back, but there are some areas he cannot access the backside... We will see how this turns out... Lot of work to try and save the original sheet metal.

I'm not a fan of concourse restorations but understand their value, that being said were this my car I wouldn't try to save the sheetmetal looking this bad. There is a lot of very good (and very bad) replacement sheetmetal out there and I wouldn't be surprised if you could find some NOS stuff. I'd replace it.

RustyHornet

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 29, 2012
    Fort Wayne, IN
    I'm not a fan of concourse restorations but understand their value, that being said were this my car I wouldn't try to save the sheetmetal looking this bad. There is a lot of very good (and very bad) replacement sheetmetal out there and I wouldn't be surprised if you could find some NOS stuff. I'd replace it.
    We discussed this. The only way I would replace this would be with a full NOS 1/4. The owner would like to sell this car soon and wants to make it as presentable as possible, he is doing this work so he can have full disclosure with potential buyers about what hides below. This is an extremely rare car, especially being a one owner and all the paperwork, whoever buys this car will most likely do a full rotisserie restoration. The owner has made some changes over the years to suit him and the new owner will have to quite a bit of work to put it back to stock.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    stop typing and get wrenchin'!!!!!!.......:)

I would "BUT".............the new pistons to replace the last new pistons that were wrong have been put on the free float rods. All is well there.
    I put an oil ring assembly on the 1st one ....all is well.
    I start to put #2 compression ring on and it is to wide for the groove.

The new pistons take 1/16th" compression ring. They sent me 5/64th" rings.

Jegs was very apologetic and the replacements will be in the mail coming my way but damn it.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    damn'it!!!.....jegs has tighted your hands.....middle of the week then before the rings get here?

They are usually pretty fast but yeah.
    I am in no real hurry as the car is anything but ready for the engine.
    I have the parts and wanted it assembled so I did not loose my way or any parts.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom