Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    I'm actually giving a little bit of consideration to an LS driveline in my Galaxie instead of the ****ing fe motor!

It's not surprising that ANY used anything may have issues that need corrected. I'd put combustion anything at the top of the list.
    I like some Blue Oval stuff very much. I love Mustangs. I hate driving them but they're damned manly hot rods.
    I've had the Mustang 2+2s (one Cobra model), a bench seat 3spd car with inline 6 banger I loved, 69 and 70 Machs and a Grande thrown in for the green with white vinyl half roof I loved, and one Beautiful Fox that ate dollars like a chinaman with tape worm.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I fear some favors would be called in from friends in low places. 4.6's not allowed close to a GM.
    Vice versa oh heck yes.......Waiting on Booming poultry to nuke me from orbit.....:laugh:

Putting a 4.6 in it would be like putting lip stick on a pig.
    Some people want the classiness of driving a fine Ford but in the effort to stay within "budget" they go cheap with the drivetrain and put in some brand X stuff.

CM- you are becoming a cantankerous old man..lol. I always figured you as more of a purist. But it seems this car has blown your skirt up. Never figured you for being into crossdressers. Lol

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Putting a 4.6 in it would be like putting lip stick on a pig.
    Some people want the classiness of driving a fine Ford but in the effort to stay within "budget" they go cheap with the drivetrain and put in some brand X stuff.

CM- you are becoming a cantankerous old man..lol. I always figured you as more of a purist. But it seems this car has blown your skirt up. Never figured you for being into crossdressers. Lol

I felt your steely stare from afar.

I am really a run what you have kind of guy in the end. If you have a javelin in the garage and a 4.6 on the floor.....a welder and some skills make it happen. Just be ready for some :stickpoke: along the path.

We have built (helped) a few odd balls over the years. My big deviation was BB chevy's into Poncho's. They slip right in between the fenders with just a bit of tweaking here and there. Starters ate opposite sides as are the radiator necks. A wire here and there. Chevy headers. Most everything else lines right up.
    65 Goat I mentioned up thread with the 3 deuce 389 got this treatment. I believe we had to move the K-frame mounts or something like that but man that was so long ago. 427 3 deuce 435 HP unit dropped right into the hole. Thing was a beast after that.
    Same with the 78 TA with the turd 403 Olds engine. What a boat anchor. Same thing. Out with the Olds and in with the BB Chev. T-400 car. Still ran like a scalded dog by comparison. Pretty wild opening the hood and seeing 3 deuces. No it was not a vette engine but I found the intake and swapped it on. Put the same cam in the thing and it had the big valve square ports on it.

I helped a friend swap a 455 Buick S-I into a 4 door Olds gutlass once. He had the car. His dad gave him the engine/trans. We had a welder and some skills. That thing was dangerous fast. Drums on all 4 corners and small block suspension......"Yowza" what a hoot to pilot.

If you build it you will drive it...:)

Thanks for being a good sport.....:thumbsup:

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy

I am really a run what you have kind of guy in the end. If you have a javelin in the garage and a 4.6 on the floor.....a welder and some skills make it happen. Just be ready for some :stickpoke: along the path.

We have built (helped) a few odd balls over the years. My big deviation was BB chevy's into Poncho's. They slip right in between the fenders with just a bit of tweaking here and there. Starters ate opposite sides as are the radiator necks. A wire here and there. Chevy headers. Most everything else lines right up.
    65 Goat I mentioned up thread with the 3 deuce 389 got this treatment. I believe we had to move the K-frame mounts or something like that but man that was so long ago. 427 3 deuce 435 HP unit dropped right into the hole. Thing was a beast after that.
    Same with the 78 TA with the turd 403 Olds engine. What a boat anchor. Same thing. Out with the Olds and in with the BB Chev. T-400 car. Still ran like a scalded dog by comparison. Pretty wild opening the hood and seeing 3 deuces. No it was not a vette engine but I found the intake and swapped it on. Put the same cam in the thing and it had the big valve square ports on it.

I helped a friend swap a 455 Buick S-I into a 4 door Olds gutlass once. He had the car. His dad gave him the engine/trans. We had a welder and some skills. That thing was dangerous fast. Drums on all 4 corners and small block suspension......"Yowza" what a hoot to pilot.

I've done some of the same type of GM swaps. I usually ended having to cut out the riveted motor mount seats on the frame and use the matching motor mount type onto the frames. Usually holes already in the frame for the "unifit" system GM used.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I've done some of the same type of GM swaps. I usually ended having to cut out the riveted motor mount seats on the frame and use the matching motor mount type onto the frames. Usually holes already in the frame for the "unifit" system GM used.

The TA (Firebird) was actually the easiest one to do.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis

Its cool man. I mostly agree build with what you have or can afford and have fun with it. Had my hands in some oddball combos over the years for sure

hoosierdaddy1976

I Can't Believe it's not Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Mar 17, 2011
    newton county
    I just bought a..............

.........mini-van.

But the wife is happy.

(Hangs head and walks away in shame....)

Here's the most hot rod thing I'll be able to do for quite some time. Had to piece together an exhaust for my beater kid hauler after the flex pipe and hanger wire a previous owner used rotted out. Couldn't let the sticker go to waste.
    h4O1qt3.jpg

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom