• Status
    Not open for further replies.

451_Detonics

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    North Central Indiana
    Besides my convertible truck this is also in the garage...bought it for my soon to be bride for Christmas last year...

challenger_zps4649f355.jpg

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    All of this talk about gearing; we are working on a 63 Galaxie, 390 automatic and will be going to a 411 or 456 rear gear in it with a gear vendors overdrive in it. Best of both worlds!! I want to be able to drive it to Key West should we get the urge one morning.

RustyHornet

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 29, 2012
    Fort Wayne, IN
    We've had 2 FE Fords come in the shop within the last couple years. One '67 Fairlane GTA 390 that left the shop a 450ci stroker. Other a '69 Torino Cobra 428 CJ that left nicely warmed over. Both very strong runners.

daddyusmaximus

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.9%
    88   1   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Remington
    Ford was smarter than GM with keeping a full size rear wheel drive platform.

They were only smart up until 2011.

IMO, FoMoCo really dropped the ball on what that car SHOULD'VE been. Way too low on HP and TQ to be any kind of "sporty car".

They certainly looked better than all the Grand Marquis and CV stablemates.

IMPD even owned a Maurader back then. Used to see it 2-3 times a week on my way to work.

You could say they dropped the ball compared to today's 700hp Hell Cat, but in 2003 it had very respectable speed and handling for what it is... a full size family car. At 4,000+ lbs, you're right, it's not a sports car, but I'd argue there not another car that heavy, of that era, that's any quicker. I would dearly love to be able to afford to rebuild the engine with parts out there on the aftermarket today, but I don't really need 700 hp. I WANT it, I just can't afford to drop 20 grand in the engine.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    All of this talk about gearing; we are working on a 63 Galaxie, 390 automatic and will be going to a 411 or 456 rear gear in it with a gear vendors overdrive in it. Best of both worlds!! I want to be able to drive it to Key West should we get the urge one morning.

A good friend used a gear vendor unit in one of his Fords. Had a butt load of problems with it.

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    Ok so if you had 200 bucks to spend on speed parts, what would you get? No nitrous. I'm talking rear end gears, or a cam, or mufflers or something along those lines. I'm leaning towards gears. I don't need it to be a daily driver, it's just a beater truck that sometimes hauls whatever my wife has to have from the antique store. It's '99 GMC Sierra stepside that's got a 5.3 swapped into it. It already has long tube headers and not much of an exhaust after that. Sounds decent. Suggestions? Comments? Critiques?

$200 won't get you much: a programmer to bump timing, perhaps. Or some high flow mufflers. Gears, cam, etc are all going to be MUCH more. Figure a $600 on the low end up to a grand for gears +installation (specialized tools needed in many cases to do ring&pinion).

If you're going to go far enough into the engine to swap cams, I'd yank the engine and stroke it or swap to a 6000 long block.

If it's a beater truck, buy a high flow intake and be done. Avoid oiled gauze filters like K&N if you care about engine wear.

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    Is it the being thrown into the bed upon stabbing the gas or the high RPM at highway speeds that bother you? :laugh:

I'd be more bothered by the famously fragile pinion gears on super high numerical ratios. There's a reason the super-fast drag cars and offroaders that really load a rear end never run the absurd 5.88 and higher ratios.

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    My pics all pre-date my technology, so I've got none to post.

First car was a '66 Coronet (though by VIN is should have been a '67). It had the older "A" series 318 with the two-bolt valve covers--last year. 2bbl stromberg was more of a fuel leak than a carburetor, but it would get started even in the -40 mornings in ND. Yes, synthetic oil was used. Lost a rod bearing and parked the car in a far field when we moved from ND.

I was able to get a later B-body as a project. '69 Coronet was my favorite year and something I could actually afford, as the collectors were already bidding up even base model 68-70 B bodies well out of my price range. Paid $500 for a car in rough shape from a note lot. Sold it shortly after getting married and realizing that frequent military moves into apartments assured I'd never get anywhere with the project. Sold it BIN on fleabay in less than an hour for what I paid for it. B5 blue underneath all that chalky oxidation. it was an LA 318 so I could actually get parts, unlike the old polyhead A 318. Also, it had the 904 trans instead of the bombproof A727 my '66 had.

Factoid: the A-727 served as the basis for all Chrysler automatics for decades. Even as recently as the 47RE in a Dodge Cummins truck-- you'll see it has the same first three gear ratios and same basic valve body arrangement. Which explains why those Chrysler autos were so bad for so long.

ChristianPatriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 11, 2013
    Clifford, IN
    $200 won't get you much: a programmer to bump timing, perhaps. Or some high flow mufflers. Gears, cam, etc are all going to be MUCH more. Figure a $600 on the low end up to a grand for gears +installation (specialized tools needed in many cases to do ring&pinion).

If you're going to go far enough into the engine to swap cams, I'd yank the engine and stroke it or swap to a 6000 long block.

If it's a beater truck, buy a high flow intake and be done. Avoid oiled gauze filters like K&N if you care about engine wear.

You can find gears on Summit or Jegs for around $150 all day. I've got professional mechanic friends with the tools and knowledge.

RustyHornet

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 29, 2012
    Fort Wayne, IN
    I love me a good s10. This was my brothers first vehicle. 1991. He bought it from the old couple across the street had like 30k miles on it. Never ever had rust. He wasn't the greatest driver and seemed to alway wreck it, not always his fault.... Everytime he did he would upgrade it. It got this paint job after it got caught in a hail storm and when they went to just paint the top of the truck the tape peeled off the paint, so he drew this design up. Was truly a cool truck, drove really nice. He had a friend hot rod the 4.3 in prepping for swapping on a Whipple turbo, that never happened as he couldn't locate all the pieces. He traded it to my dad for a jeep he had and I got to drive in my senior year for a couple months. Was sold not long after that and I wish I would have stopped that from happening.

After I sold my Bus, I bought this '94. I didn't keep it long because it was a 5 speed and I just didn't fit well enough to be able to drive it confortably... We did quite a bit of work to it to make it look cool. Lowered, rallye wheels, radial TAs, painted the grille and bumpers and added a roll pan. Was a sweet little truck. 2.2l had 205k on the clock. Wish I wouldn't have sold this one either, would have made for a sweet v8 swap...

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    After I sold my Bus, I bought this '94. I didn't keep it long because it was a 5 speed and I just didn't fit well enough to be able to drive it confortably... We did quite a bit of work to it to make it look cool. Lowered, rallye wheels, radial TAs, painted the grille and bumpers and added a roll pan. Was a sweet little truck. 2.2l had 205k on the clock. Wish I wouldn't have sold this one either, would have made for a sweet v8 swap...

Less is more.
    Very clean.

My 1st "X" took all of my pics from "Those days". So many lost memory's I can no longer share.

ChristianPatriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 11, 2013
    Clifford, IN
    I love me a good s10. This was my brothers first vehicle. 1991. He bought it from the old couple across the street had like 30k miles on it. Never ever had rust. He wasn't the greatest driver and seemed to alway wreck it, not always his fault.... Everytime he did he would upgrade it. It got this paint job after it got caught in a hail storm and when they went to just paint the top of the truck the tape peeled off the paint, so he drew this design up. Was truly a cool truck, drove really nice. He had a friend hot rod the 4.3 in prepping for swapping on a Whipple turbo, that never happened as he couldn't locate all the pieces. He traded it to my dad for a jeep he had and I got to drive in my senior year for a couple months. Was sold not long after that and I wish I would have stopped that from happening.

I've always loved the later body style S-10s. I almost jumped on an LS powered one a while back. I waited too long and it sold.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom