• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • slow1911s

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I've had two new (to me) brews this past week.

Sam Adams Lattitude 48 IPA - yeah, that's what I thought, also. Sam Adams brewing an IPA. Had it on tap at The Ale Emporium. Pours darker than the Bell's Two Hearted my wife ordered, but not quite as hoppy and with very little head. I enjoyed it a lot.

Flat 12 Pogue’s Run Porter - on tap at Moe and Johnny's - pours black with just a hint of carmel in the head. Good hop notes and a nice, dark, malt character. A great, local porter.

I also tried Sun King's Sun Light Cream Ale and Three Floyds Gumballhead - I didn't care for either. I might try them again before I get into my typical IPA run of the night. But, I just didn't care for either after first drinking a Two Hearted and then a Robert The Bruce. Just too different.

jetmechG550

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    Sam Adams Lattitude 48 IPA - yeah, that's what I thought, also. Sam Adams brewing an IPA. Had it on tap at The Ale Emporium. Pours darker than the Bell's Two Hearted my wife ordered, but not quite as hoppy and with very little head. I enjoyed it a lot.

I know this isn't a review but to expand on this last year SA put out the Latitude 48 Sensory Pack (or something like that) but it was a 12 pack of Lat 48 that contained 2 regular Lat 48's and then 2 each of Lat 48 that was made with only one particular Hop that was used in making Lat 48 (there's 5 different kinds of Hops in there). It was supposed to give you a sense of the characteristics of each Hop used. It was pretty cool, especially if you are into brewing your own beer.

jetmechG550

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    Sam Adams Alpine Spring. A lighter golden colored Lager with a citrusy aroma. It's unfiltered so it has a somewhat cloudy appearance like a wheat beer. Nice and crisp made with lighter Tattnang hops and balanced malts like two row. It reminds me a lot of Sierra Nevada Summertime Lager except for the cloudier appearance. No alc content that I remember seeing but I would suspect it's a little closer to the 5% range. Then the added bonus of reusable Sam Adams bottles for my own brews.

1911 DeadHead

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 5, 2011
    NWI/ Crown Point
    Great! Can you write a review of it?

Grimbergen Double Ale - A reddish brown color beer that comes in brown 11.2 oz bottles. My thoughts at first sip is like a hint of chocolate malt flavor. The aftertaste hits me hard with a cinnamon brandy like flavor. Definitely a savoring kind of beer, not something I can or would slam. I did once and kinda felt like a punch in the lungs. Of course, like any good beer, it should be served in a glass for full affect. AC 6.2%

Grimbergen Blonde Ale - A blonde colored beer with a pretty hoppy scent, but the scent doesnt come with the taste. Has an instant sweet taste but nothing overwhelming. This beer is unlike the double ale, I can slam it home pretty easily if I'm not thinking about it. Which is dangerous do to the higher alcohol content. A bit of vanilla aftertaste but the initial sweetness stays with you. AC 6.7%

All in all it's hard for me to choose between the two. Depends what mood I'm in. They run about $12-$14 a six pack. Don't see them very often, so if you run across anyone of these beers I HIGHLY RECOMMEND them. Stay thirsty my friends.

hANNAbONE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    Des Moines, Iowa
    Name of beer : HopSlam Double IPA
    Brewer : Bell's Kalamazoo, MI
    Alcohol content and size (if non-standard) : 10.0% *watch this - as it's very VERY drinkable. DAMHIK

Appearance: medium amber - think Sierra Nevada "Torpedo" IPA
    Smell: like heaven -- loads o' hops scent
    Taste: crisp and almost bitter - the more hops the better, thus the name.
    Mouthfeel: give me more of this full bodied taste - incredible
    Overall: absolutely in my top 3 all time next to Terminal Gravity Brewery Enterprise OR
    Letter grade: A++ get ya some..!!

close 2nd and third : is virtually the same grades -- Boulevard "Single Wide" outta KC & Terminal Gravity Brewery "IPA" outta Enterprise, OR

prowland

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 21, 2010
    Greenwood
    IMG_1733.jpg

Name of beer : Gulden Draak
    Brewer : Brouwerij Van Steenberge N.V.
    Alcohol content and size (if non-standard) : 10.5% 330ml Bottle

Appearance: Deep chestnut color with thick tan head that floats on top like a small island. Medium lacing left behind.

Smell: So amazing I considered using it in my Netti Pot. Malt, carmel, brown sugar, raisins.

Taste: Spice, sweet malt, more malt, fruit, and a bit more awesomeness. The taste blends wonderfully with the 10.5%

Mouthfeel: Perfect carbonation with the dark belgian style. Slightly heave but what I wanted this brew to be.

Overall: This is one of my favorite smelling and tasting beers of all time. Probably in the top 10 for sure.

miguel's sister

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 14, 2012
    Red dot in a blue state
    Can either of you elaborate on your reviews of these beers?

Sure, sorry I didn't give a better review. It is a very light (weight), crisp tasting type of ale. It was almost...effervescent. I had this with a burger and it just seemed to compliment it very well. It was served from the tap, icy cold, which was very appropriate.

The Irish Rogue Ale was very similar but a bit heavier weight, the waiter brought over a very small glass for me to taste.

I'm not really a big beer drinker, so I hope this explanation works for the intent of the thread.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Kentucky Bourbon Barrel Ale
    Alltech's Lexington Brewing, Lexington KY
    www.kentuckyale.com
    8.19% ABV

GeCYL.jpg

Appearance: This is a beautiful caramel-colored pour with a thin, creamy head. At 12 oz, it fits nicely in my INGO Beer Snob mug.

Smell: Very strong smell of caramel, oak, and bourbon. Yum a dum dum! I can't wait to taste it!

Taste: The taste is exactly what the smell promises. It has a thick, smokey caramel flavor that is clearly the result of either aging in a bourbon barrel or the result of simply having a shot of smooth bourbon poured right into it. Progressing through the glass leads to more subtle butterscotch (or possibly just scotch!) flavors.

Mouthfeel: It's a very creamy texture; smooth, the way a nice bourbon goes down. Carbonation is light, leaving the feeling that you're drinking more of the bourbon equivalent of a hard cider rather than a beer. By the end of the glass, it almost just feels like straight bourbon.

Overall: I'm not normally a bourbon drinker, but the flavor of the aging barrel is strong, but not overpowering, and makes for an incredibly smooth and rich flavor. The instant you bring the mug up to your lips, the rich oaky smell hits your nose again and again. I really wish I'd bought more than one of these, but at 8.19% alcohol, it's probably a good thing I didn't. :D

I give this beer a VERY solid A-, deducting half a letter grade simply because the alcohol content is a little higher than I'd like, meaning I wouldn't be able to drink much before I was done. This is a very nice beer that drinks fine on its own but probably even better sitting in a wood-paneled room in a fine leather chair in front of a nice steak. However, if you are not a fan of bourbon (or hard liquor in general), you may want to avoid this one as the strong liquor flavor may be off-putting for you.

NDguido

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 13, 2010
    Nappnee, Indiana
    Sierra Nevada
    Torpedo

Torpedo is a very hoppy beer. The kind that leaves that familiar after taste so many of the good ones do. however, it is very crisp and goes great with food that too has a strong and distinct taste, for example bleu cheese burgers

Glad to see a review here for my favorite beer.

I love Sierra Nevada's products. Pale Ale, Ruthless Rye, Celebration Ale are great. Torpedo is my favorite. The beer gets its name from the machine it uses to process the hops. It's a bold IPA with strong citris and pine flavors but well balanced. At 7.2% ABV, you'd think you'd taste a bit of alcohol, but the beer is as you state....crisp and has a high drinkability.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Double Crooked Tree IPA-Darkhorse Brewing Company, Michigain

(an American Double/ Imperial IPA)

dark%20horse%20double%20crooked%20tree%20ipa.jpg

Image from web- not my pic

Appearance: Dark caramel IPA with a bone white foamy head

Smell: Very strong smell- fruity, but with a mild woody fume.

Taste: Think Gnawbone Ale but with lesser wood flavor in aftertaste, different too (they say pine- definitely not oaken). Been out of IPA's a while... the first taste was full of fruit, 2nd and third started changing..........smooth for sure, and has that Ketone type of IPA buildup at the end, strong but not overpowering........it mellows to a nice full mouth flavor. After-aftertaste is mellow and a bit too enjoyable. Kinda like a good cigar.

Mouthfeel: More velvety than I thought it'd be.

Overall: Made only in Feb, and running $20 for four-pack.........and being an IPA...........might seem a bit much. But with 13.6% alcohol........a couple go a long ways.

Like I said, I'd been out of IPAs a while (and beer in general) so after my first one I was about ready to vote for Lugar.

If you like Gnawbone but want more kick, with less wood and more fruit...........this is the stuff. They say it gets better if you age it. Mine was bought last year so it was not a fresh batch.

Dunno if I could ever let it sit that long again :)

Last edited:

Publius

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2009
    Central IN
    Anyone ever tried Drifter Pale Ale? My father in law got me a 6 pack for as a gift and man it was the smoothest and tastiest pale ale I've ever tried. Haven't been able to find any since either :|

Bruenor

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 26, 2008
    Pendleton
    My brother is bringing me two four packs of Dogfish Head 90 minute IPA from Ohio tomorrow. I hate that I can't get it here in Indiana anymore.

Some friends of mine and I have gotten into home brewing. We made a pretty decent Rye IPA and a great porter. They were extract kits from Great Fermentations, but we are hoping to get to all grain batches soon.

TheRude1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 15, 2012
    INDY
    Now this is my kinda thread !
    Any beer less that 8% is not worth drinking
    Rally fond of barleywine ales, got some 06 and 08 MadRiver Brewing Johnbarleycorn barleywine ale Mmmmmmmmm
    No real favorite I give them all a chance

jetmechG550

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    My brother is bringing me two four packs of Dogfish Head 90 minute IPA from Ohio tomorrow. I hate that I can't get it here in Indiana anymore.

Some friends of mine and I have gotten into home brewing. We made a pretty decent Rye IPA and a great porter. They were extract kits from Great Fermentations, but we are hoping to get to all grain batches soon.

I just brewed the 60 minute clone from GFI and it turned out fantastic. Give it a try. I miss Dogfish Head too. Heading to GA next week for work bringing back some DFH and Sweetwater 420. Just got back from SoCal with a case of Stone IPA, some Arrogant Bastard and Double Bastard and Ruination. I think AB and DB have been reviewed earlier. Anyone that's not had Sweetwater they make very good beers, near Atlanta I think. The 420 is a nice smooth Pale Ale, not overly hoppy. Ruination from Stone is a double IPA similar to 90 minute. A big in your face with hops kind of beer. All of which go nicely with the stuff in the pictures I posted in Benny's Big Green Egg thread.

Top Bottom