• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • T4rdV4rk

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    May 1, 2012
    NWI
    Sorry I don't have a picture on me, but has anyone tried People's in Lafayette? Growler refills are reasonably priced. They have nice IPA's and Ryes.

evanrw61

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 13, 2012
    Southport Indiana
    Name of beer: Snake Pit Porter
    Brewer: Oakrn Barrel, Greenwood
    Alcohol content and size (if non-standard) 11-12%, served in a pint

Appearance: root beer float comes close
    Smell: guaranteed to invoke a smile
    Taste: thick and nutty with citrus overtones
    Mouthfeel: choclate malt seems appropriate
    Overall: explosion on the taste buds, no after taste
    Letter grade: A

cesna250

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 12, 2012
    Warsaw
    I'm not a huge expert, but i have visited a lot of breweries and tried the local beers and ales from different cities. Favorite of all time is 5 Rabbit out of Chicago. Have their own brew and just tastes so fresh too. I know a lot of people aren't very fond of visiting the Chi-town.. But if you ever do, get the 5 Rabbit at any local pub or bar.

MALT:
    European pilsner and vienna

HOPS:
    Saaz and Motueka

YEAST:
    Natural ale strain at cool temperatures
    OG: 1.052 (13º Plato)
    ABV: 5.3% v/v
    COLOR: Rich gold
    IBU: 32
    Serve at 38°-42º F (3°- 5.5º C)

AVAILABILITY:

12 oz bottles and half barrel kegs year-round

glass_5rabbit.png

USE:
    Tapered pilsner glass or tall, cylindrical “stange”

Jarhead77

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 23, 2012
    Noblesville
    Brekenridge Vanilla Porter

Let my start by saying that Yuenling is my favorite beer. I grew up in Pa. and was weened on it. :yesway: and...I don't like dark beers...until this one anyway!
    Back to the porter....
    Where I got it? Connor street pub in Noblesville
    Appearance: Dark with a tight foamy head
    Smell: hints of vanilla, coffee and chocolate.
    Taste: just like it smells..not sweet, excellent flavor with no discernable bitterness
    Texture: Rootbeer like.
    Overall grade: A

NDguido

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 13, 2010
    Nappnee, Indiana
    Now this is my kinda thread !
    Any beer less that 8% is not worth drinking
    Rally fond of barleywine ales, got some 06 and 08 MadRiver Brewing Johnbarleycorn barleywine ale Mmmmmmmmm
    No real favorite I give them all a chance

according to beeradvocate.com, some of the best, most award winning brews are 5% or less.

jetmechG550

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    according to beeradvocate.com, some of the best, most award winning brews are 5% or less.
    that depends on style of beer not a good comparison. I'm not backing what the poster you are responding to is saying but every one of the top 100 most popular beers right now is over 5% ABV. You'll be hard pressed to find quality craft beers under 5% and even most home brews (even cream ale) barely come in under 5%

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Last weekend was the Great Taste of the Midwest in Madison. I managed to get 35 samples in five hours! And of course, we brought back a lot from New Glarus.

My notes are a neat for some, but others - I can't quite make out.

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    Last weekend was the Great Taste of the Midwest in Madison. I managed to get 35 samples in five hours! And of course, we brought back a lot from New Glarus.

My notes are a neat for some, but others - I can't quite make out.

I'm quite fond of some of the beers that New Glarus is putting out. Yum.

NDguido

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 13, 2010
    Nappnee, Indiana
    that depends on style of beer not a good comparison. I'm not backing what the poster you are responding to is saying but every one of the top 100 most popular beers right now is over 5% ABV. You'll be hard pressed to find quality craft beers under 5% and even most home brews (even cream ale) barely come in under 5%

My only point is that many of the great unwashed will sacrifice complex flavor for a buzz. Some of my favorite styles are around 5-6%. Oktoberfest and summer ales are among those. High alcohol can take away from the flavor. Great Lakes Nosferatu as a good example of that. Still, my all time favorite beer (sierra nevada torpedo) is 7.2%, but I defy anybody to taste more than a hint of alcohol.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    My only point is that many of the great unwashed will sacrifice complex flavor for a buzz. Some of my favorite styles are around 5-6%. Oktoberfest and summer ales are among those. High alcohol can take away from the flavor. Great Lakes Nosferatu as a good example of that. Still, my all time favorite beer (sierra nevada torpedo) is 7.2%, but I defy anybody to taste more than a hint of alcohol.

Are you trying to claim that Nosferatu is flavorless? :n00b:

Every drink Sam Adam's Utopias @ 25% abv? I have, and it's flavor is intense like nothing else. Alcohol has the ability to hold soluble compounds that water just can't. Plus, with the extra activity from yeast there tends to produce a much more complex and rich profile.

Now, alcohol itself can be tricky, ferment to hot or with stressed yeast and you'll end up with higher order alcohols that give the aroma of acetone and mineral spirits. Instant hangover.

Personally, I detest being called a snob. I don't dislike or refuse any style I don't even have a particular favorite brand or style of beer. But, on the whole, it's rare to find a good beer under 5% or 6% these days. Even That's strictly session beer territory and that stuff just doesn't find it's way into bottles, mostly for economic reasons.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I would say the feel root beer has in your mouth. If you make your own root beer many recipes call for adding malto dextrin to give it a certain feel. Though admittedly I don't recall ever having a beer with that same feel

Like heavy and sweet? I'd say Vanilla Porter has a pretty full body, but not cloying.

I've never added maltodextrin to root beer or beer. Maybe I should try.

Jarhead77

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 23, 2012
    Noblesville
    I would say the feel root beer has in your mouth. If you make your own root beer many recipes call for adding malto dextrin to give it a certain feel. Though admittedly I don't recall ever having a beer with that same feel

Yes, what he said. Root beer has a distinct light syrupy feel...

NDguido

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 13, 2010
    Nappnee, Indiana
    Are you trying to claim that Nosferatu is flavorless? :n00b:

Every drink Sam Adam's Utopias @ 25% abv? I have, and it's flavor is intense like nothing else. Alcohol has the ability to hold soluble compounds that water just can't. Plus, with the extra activity from yeast there tends to produce a much more complex and rich profile.

Now, alcohol itself can be tricky, ferment to hot or with stressed yeast and you'll end up with higher order alcohols that give the aroma of acetone and mineral spirits. Instant hangover.

Personally, I detest being called a snob. I don't dislike or refuse any style I don't even have a particular favorite brand or style of beer. But, on the whole, it's rare to find a good beer under 5% or 6% these days. Even That's strictly session beer territory and that stuff just doesn't find it's way into bottles, mostly for economic reasons.

No, I didn't say nosferatu is flavorless. I do think its flavor is overpowered with alcohol, though.

Top Bottom