• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    I like the tritium on my M&P9 Pro, the only disadvantage I've found is the last time I was shooting just around dusk...hard to pick up the tritium in that type of light. I know it's only for a short period when the light is just right for it to happen, but other than that I really like them.

I would like a compact .45 to go with the compact 9. Most likely Glock 30 since it is roughly the same size as the M&P45c but holds a few more rounds. I'd like to do the same with my M&P9c, the Big Dots, but would really like to see and shoot a gun with those before swapping out the sites. At $80-$100 for them, that isn't a drop in the bucket if I don't like them.

I'll take you up on shooting that G21 of yours with that front site. Is new front site about the same size as the original? You think it effected the gun's point of aim/impact? I'm probably worrying about that a little too much since I tend to point shoot more than aimed shots.

The bold explains so very, very much.:D Since this is the case, just take the sights off altogether:laugh:

Anyone planning to shoot the sidematch?

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    The bold explains so very, very much.:D Since this is the case, just take the sights off altogether:laugh:

Anyone planning to shoot the sidematch?

You know...I've considered that after some of the matches I've had! :laugh:

I'd like to but I'm out of ammo and I've spent all my 'walking around' money except enough to shoot the normal match. I have got to get some dang .223 or I'll be out of luck when the zombies strike!

Kisada

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 9, 2011
    Evansville
    It's all based on action. XD/XDMs are classified as single action only pistols because their trigger only releases a striker, it doesn't cock or retract. Thus, it goes to ESP land only. Glocks and M&Ps are classified as double actions and therefore can play in SSP or ESP.

I seem to remember reading glocks and m&ps did the final cock with trigger pull. Didn't know Springfields were different.
    I'd be inclined to agree with some others that SSP should be left for true da/sa guns and put all the polymer strikers in ESP.

Kisada

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 9, 2011
    Evansville
    I've been carrying the M&P 45 off and on the last couple weeks. Its not horrible, but not necessarily ideal either. Every time I read a ccw thread or magazine article lately, it seems the Shield keeps popping up as a clear winner. I don't think I've seen anyone bash or knock it besides for minor personal tastes. If I could go and buy one right now, I'd probably do it without hesitation, but they seem to be scarce everywhere.

I just don't see any of the compacts being much different from equivalent full-size models, and sub comps. make me feel I need tiny girl or child like hands to be comfortable. Decent capacity+comfortable ergos don't seem to go hand in hand.

The XDS seemed a neat idea, but only 5 rounds and the prices I've seen are a bit drastic for what it is.

Grelber

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    I'll take you up on shooting that G21 of yours with that front site. Is new front site about the same size as the original? You think it effected the gun's point of aim/impact? I'm probably worrying about that a little too much since I tend to point shoot more than aimed shots.

Dawson Precision, or equivalent, gives you a choice of different heights and widths and will probably tell you what to go with if you want to retain the same elevation you have. I don't think my poa changed but I've got the adjustable rear so maybe it did and I just don't remember fiddling with it.

sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    I've been carrying the M&P 45 off and on the last couple weeks. Its not horrible, but not necessarily ideal either. Every time I read a ccw thread or magazine article lately, it seems the Shield keeps popping up as a clear winner. I don't think I've seen anyone bash or knock it besides for minor personal tastes. If I could go and buy one right now, I'd probably do it without hesitation, but they seem to be scarce everywhere.

I just don't see any of the compacts being much different from equivalent full-size models, and sub comps. make me feel I need tiny girl or child like hands to be comfortable. Decent capacity+comfortable ergos don't seem to go hand in hand.

The XDS seemed a neat idea, but only 5 rounds and the prices I've seen are a bit drastic for what it is.

The Shield is on my list (my good list, not the list Mike stays on:D). I really don't know what I would do with it, but I'd like one all the same, and that's proved to be reason enough with me:laugh:

The M&P45 is on the list as well. I know a guy that's looking to move an FDE for $550 but would probably take less. Again, don't really know what I do with it, but...Both of the M&Ps will follow another 625. This last shake-up before a major convinced me I need a back-up. I'd also like a 627/327, just because they're awesome, as well as a 500, for no other reason than it's a bad mama-jama. Of course, a 460 would be cool too- I need some x-frames to feel like a complete handgunner. A 610 would be great as well, to keep me in ESR when I'm old. As you can see, the Shield will have to wait.

Wow, that was fun entering into dream world for a moment:laugh: Must be getting close to Christmas:D

Kisada

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 9, 2011
    Evansville
    Wow, that was fun entering into dream world for a moment:laugh: Must be getting close to Christmas:D

Wow, I'd say so!

I've noticed that I can wear at 3 o'clock pretty comfortably without excessive printing. Five o'clock works too, pretty flush but digs into my back, me being fairly lanky and the gun being kinda girthy. But at 3:30 - 4:30 I feel there's just too many weird angles going on, even with a decent jacket/hoodie/etc.

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    I'm just honored to actually BE on a list somewhere! :D

I'd be all over a Shield if I didn't already have mags, mag pouches and holsters specifically for the M&P9. The 9c I have is about the perfect size for carry but I carry my Glock 21 or my M&P45 without a lot of issue. Remember that YOU know you are carrying but a majority of people aren't able to see past their smart phones for more than a moment to notice anything out of the ordinary on your hip.

I was very picky on the compact/subcompact and that is why I only have one for now. The 2nd will be the Glock 30 since it's capacity/size/weight really puts it in a league on it's own. If they could somehow manage to stuff a few more rounds in the M&P45c they'd be on to something.

Don't get me started on Wish Lists and Dream Land LOL Mine is populated with Brownings and Colts and double-barrel shotguns...

And as far as back-ups, they aren't a bad idea at all. Somebody once said that if you have a gun you like, buy multiples. I've twice owned 2 of the same gun and while I did trade one multiple away I'll most likely end up with a 2nd of it just to be on the safe side. The last thing I want to do is have a malfunction like I did with my M&P9 (shooter malfunction :D) and be without. I'm not as concerned with parts breakage as I am being without my gun because it has to be sent away.

sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    I'm just honored to actually BE on a list somewhere! :D

I'd be all over a Shield if I didn't already have mags, mag pouches and holsters specifically for the M&P9. The 9c I have is about the perfect size for carry but I carry my Glock 21 or my M&P45 without a lot of issue. Remember that YOU know you are carrying but a majority of people aren't able to see past their smart phones for more than a moment to notice anything out of the ordinary on your hip.

I was very picky on the compact/subcompact and that is why I only have one for now. The 2nd will be the Glock 30 since it's capacity/size/weight really puts it in a league on it's own. If they could somehow manage to stuff a few more rounds in the M&P45c they'd be on to something.

Don't get me started on Wish Lists and Dream Land LOL Mine is populated with Brownings and Colts and double-barrel shotguns...

And as far as back-ups, they aren't a bad idea at all. Somebody once said that if you have a gun you like, buy multiples. I've twice owned 2 of the same gun and while I did trade one multiple away I'll most likely end up with a 2nd of it just to be on the safe side. The last thing I want to do is have a malfunction like I did with my M&P9 (shooter malfunction :D) and be without. I'm not as concerned with parts breakage as I am being without my gun because it has to be sent away.

Good advice.

I'd heard it said for a long time that if you're shooting majors, you need a back-up. They are right. With the match fees, hotels, fuel, food, etc, it's a lot to loose for, what was for me, literally a $2 spring. Thankfully, my revosmith is close and had the parts:D

Grelber

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    Good advice.

I'd heard it said for a long time that if you're shooting majors, you need a back-up. They are right. With the match fees, hotels, fuel, food, etc, it's a lot to loose for, what was for me, literally a $2 spring. Thankfully, my revosmith is close and had the parts:D

Ok, is this practice for talking to the better half or are we getting a re-hash:)

I think 'loose' was a Freudian slip.

sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    You know...I've considered that after some of the matches I've had! :laugh:

I'd like to but I'm out of ammo and I've spent all my 'walking around' money except enough to shoot the normal match. I have got to get some dang .223 or I'll be out of luck when the zombies strike!

Seriously- out of cash? You need, literally, $5 for a 20rd box of Tula to shoot this match. What is it? Can that Ruger just not run?:D

I suspect it might be a subconscious aversion to all things sidematch as well:laugh:

Ok, is this practice for talking to the better half or are we getting a re-hash:)

I think 'loose' was a Freudian slip.

No comment:):

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    Seriously- out of cash? You need, literally, $5 for a 20rd box of Tula to shoot this match. What is it? Can that Ruger just not run?:D

I suspect it might be a subconscious aversion to all things sidematch as well:laugh:

No comment:):

LOL I think you might be on to something there with the side match:laugh: I haven't exactly had the greatest luck in any of them except my very first one!

Kisada

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 9, 2011
    Evansville
    Pretty good. The house was a bit wonky and time consuming for whatever reason, but that's going to happen from time to time I suppose. I did like seeing more zero downs from myself than I'm used to, but apparently steel was my bane today. (Which is weird, usually if I can hit anything, it would be plates/poppers.)

How about everyone else?

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    Haven't gotten the scores yet, but I feel that I had a pretty good match today. It was weird, but I felt like I had a case of the jitters during a few of those courses. I don't know if it was breakfast or what that did it but I did feel a bit off here and there. All in all with the number of issues that happened today, ill take what I did with a smile!

sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    Pretty good. The house was a bit wonky and time consuming for whatever reason, but that's going to happen from time to time I suppose. I did like seeing more zero downs from myself than I'm used to, but apparently steel was my bane today. (Which is weird, usually if I can hit anything, it would be plates/poppers.)

How about everyone else?

Seems like you shot well today- probably the best I've seen you run. Must have been the M&P:laugh: Which brings me to secondly-

Haven't gotten the scores yet, but I feel that I had a pretty good match today. It was weird, but I felt like I had a case of the jitters during a few of those courses. I don't know if it was breakfast or what that did it but I did feel a bit off here and there. All in all with the number of issues that happened today, ill take what I did with a smile!

I'm certain the jitters stemmed from being scared for the wrath that would fall upon thine head if that Glock screwed up:D Seemed to me like you ran well- except for your scoring calls, which were atrocious.:rolleyes::D

I had a good time today and was glad to see my kids enjoy it as well. I really didn't know how they would do, but they dug it and would have liked to stayed around a bit longer. This is good. As for myself, I always enjoy shooting with my buds at Redbrush and there was a bunch of them in the squad today. Match-wise, I really went the wrong way today. I don't like intentionally breaking the rules just to be able to run a course (or 2) that's given zero thought to all divisions. These things happen, it's all volunteer and local, so no biggie.

Sidematch was cool, just a little different than the IDPA lake COF. Some of the shooters there had some SWEET rifles. I don't know if or how it could work, but I think a mandatory shooters meeting BEFORE GUNS COME OUT, would be very beneficial to the progress and safety of our sidematches. :yesway:

In other news, I realize now that I might be at Evansville next Saturday. I had it entrenched in my mind that next Saturday was deer season, but it's not, it's the following Saturday.

Last edited:

Grelber

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    How did everyone like the match today?

My shooting sucked, my thinking sucked worse, I had the hot seat for the great paper tear call 0f 2012, and some new guy with a .45 thought my ass was a pepper popper. Besides that all was good, after the part where I had to fiddle around arses and shirts to load magazines for people, freshness is something that we should all be aware of.

Last edited:

sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    My shooting sucked, my thinking sucked worse, I had the hot seat for the great paper tear call 0f 2012, and some new guy with a .45 thought my ass was a pepper popper. Besides that all was good, after the part where I had to fiddle around arses and shirts to load magazines for people, freshness is something that we should all be aware of.

Lots of good points in this post::yesway:

1. Paper Tear- congrats, you've made my list, right below Mike.
    2. Muzzle- yeah, that was bad- really bad. I think I actually tackled Mike, which leads to-
    3. Freshness- I agree, I really agree. And now that I think about it, you went beyond and above (or would be below???) the call of duty for that stuff.

You forgot to mention the Cover-Gate issue on the truck stage right as I was the shooter. This event moved Steve to my list as well, right below Mike and yourself.

:lmfao:

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    Has anyone gotten their scores yet? I did a software update last night and I'm not showing a lot of data on several fronts since then... :/

Yeah, that moment down there when Grelber about had an extra hole was pretty exciting and TJ showed his true feelings by pulling me out of the way, Glock and all:D I know the guy felt terrible and I know I could tell you every detail about that gun even from the split second I had to look at it! Without sounding condescending, that is an easy thing for new and inexperienced shooters to do and I think it is made even easier by them crowding cover. They might be frustrated and with the adrenaline that is running through them, it is very easy to just turn in the only direction available to kind of express frustration or relief that the course is through. The only thing that a person can do is try to get over on their gun-side and catch them before they do it, but you'll have to drop your crystal ball that gives you the power of future sight before! There was nothing you could have done and you caught it and corrected it without anyone getting hurt. Next time that particular shooter comes to a match, all the SOs will just have to know that he did that, purely unintentionally, and to help him to not make the same mistake again or it will result is a match DQ for safety reasons. You did good Jeff!

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    All I know is before the match, both Jeff and Steve were talking about making terrible judgement calls against some guy that shot a match in Tennessee...if I'd have known they were plotting against you, TJ, The Glock Knight would have done something to help!

Next time the SOs have to get that up close and personal, probably a good idea to make that stage the first you do before everybody gets a chance to sweat into their cover garments LOL I think I lucked out and didn't have to SO that one; I think I was just scoring during Revolver-gate :D

Top Bottom