The official show your snow blower/plow thread...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Nodonutz

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 12, 2014
    Alexandria
    Don't think you'll need all that firepower in Alex. We took care of all ours in Elwood last yr with a John Deere 225 lawn tractor and a 48" blade. Plowed some of the county road in front of the house with it too. Keeps the county from refilling the driveway.
    I don't think the county will let me take it with me :(
    I haven't taken out a mailbox in 5 years! And I try not to pile up snow IFO folks' driveways... well one guy, but he *****es about everything, so I load up the blade and then, well..... Don't **** off the Blademan. He's got a nice little 'speed bump' as well. 99% of the roads out here are gravel. Will have to get a riding mower and some attachments - TOYS!!!

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    That's for the fine detail work.;)

It's big brother weighs 12K pounds in winter trim but doesn't fit in the garage.

I really can't recommend the 425, 445, or the 455 highly enough.:yesway:

I have a 325 and it works well, but.....hey, bigger is better and a 445 or 455 would be better, even a 355D.

Nodonutz

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 12, 2014
    Alexandria
    My husband says this every time he plows everybody out but then he just keeps doing it. Yesterday, he did have one neighbor run out with a check for him. They have a long drive (probably as long as ours which is 800 feet). That was nice. I think it is great that he does it, but it always amazes me how many take the time to thank him. We have one that always calls and thanks us because he usually isn't home when the plowing is being done. Most of the others don't even come out of their house.
    When we first moved to ND it was a really bad winter. The first storm dumped a couple feet of snow, and we'd only been there a month. Being from CA, I had no snow moving equipment, other than a regular shovel. We live WAY OUT in the stix..... About 6am I hear a rumble - our neighbor comes roaring into our yard and starts to clear it with a BIG green JD 9987645BFD with 2 tires on each corner and a 12' dozer blade. After he's done I walk out with a thermos of coffee... 'You must be Tim?' He says ya, and I offer him coffee... nope, got my folks yard done, the Bucks' yard done already, but I gotta get my yard done and then start my chores (feed and check 1000 head of cattle) -- That's how I was introduced to 'North Dakota Nice'.
    Last year had some folks move in down the road and I cleared the road into their place and cleared paths so they could get to their horse pastures and hay bales. They don't have much. Keith came out and offered me $20, I said, 'Nope, we're neighbors. Besides, it's a service of the county." It's not and I technically wasn't suppose to do it, but you take care of folks. This summer Tinker provided us with unlimited supply of farm fresh eggs... so it all balances out. Gonna miss that, or need to find a place to get 'em.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    I have a 325 and it works well, but.....hey, bigger is better and a 445 or 455 would be better, even a 355D.

I sold my 670 compact tractor and swore I'd never have another tractor that didn't burn diesel. I searched long and hard for a 455, or even a 355D;).

I have still not seen a 355D in person, and every 455 that I looked at, the owner thought it was worth it's weight in gold. When I found the 445, with a blower, weights and chains for a good price, I settled.:dunno:

And I love the Audi w/ the JD front plate! I sold Audis for a bit, love 'em.

The Lexus, the Acura, and the other Audi all sport JD plates too.;)

Bounty Hunter

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2010
    There you are.
    If you could train him to drive it and do the plowing, that would be even more awesome, but that is quite the pup you have there!

He is my buddy for sure. If he had thumbs he would drive it, and the truck. He sleeps on it in the summer when we are doing yard work, because he is afraid we might move it ten feet and he might miss it.
    IMG_20140608_174751_296.jpg

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    I sold my 670 compact tractor and swore I'd never have another tractor that didn't burn diesel. I searched long and hard for a 455, or even a 355D;).

I have still not seen a 355D in person, and every 455 that I looked at, the owner thought it was worth it's weight in gold. When I found the 445, with a blower, weights and chains for a good price, I settled.:dunno:...

I've only seen one 355D. There's a retired farmer and businessman, a friend from church, who let my daughter work with one of his mini horses for 4-H. He gave her the mini this past fall. He has a very nice 355D with all the stuff for it, 54" deck, rear bagger, snow blower- always kept inside and not used a whole lot because he has larger equipment. Very nice.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    I'm saving for this one.

7855a05bbad6fec064df4fc4e0202203.jpg

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    I was looking for something else on YouTube, and I found this.
    No... it's not me.
    Just thought you'd like it.

[video=youtube;KCqEBdjaXpM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KCqEBdjaXpM[/video]

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    The mill uses something like this to clear the rails
    Hot air turbine.

[video=youtube;9OO94Bk1cgw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9OO94Bk1cgw[/video]

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Farm type tractors have a rear PTO shaft for power and 3 point hitch for lift.

The latest greatest thing for big 'uns like that is a front mount.:cool:

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    I mean, isn't it a pain in the butt to have to back the tractor into the snow and work backwards?

It's less than optimal.

There are kits for many big tractors to install a front 3 point hitch. The trick is getting a PTO up front. The ones I have seens are large boxes that hook up to the tractors rear PTO and hang down below the frame with a shaft going up front. The problem with that is you need some kind of bearings down line to support the shaft.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    When I was a kid, when we got the big snows (which was frequent in Southwest Michigan), our neighbor across the road, who had the biggest farm in the area an was towards the top of the list for the state, used to plow us out with an JD 8440 and a 14 foot wide blade. Something real similar to this:

36530409.jpg

Tha farmer, a really great guy, has since passed on, but his family keeps my parent's place plowed out to this day. Good people.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    When I was a kid, when we got the big snows (which was frequent in Southwest Michigan), our neighbor across the road, who had the biggest farm in the area an was towards the top of the list for the state, used to plow us out with an JD 8440 and a 14 foot wide blade. Something real similar to this:

tha farmer, a really great guy, has since passed on, but his family keeps my parent's place plowed out to this day. Good people.

We have dairy farms north and south of us owned by brothers. They use those kind of blades for packing silage into bunkers. They came down our road last winter with it to be able to get the milk truck through.:yesway:

Top Bottom