The OFFICIAL Trump/HRC/2016 General Election Thread...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    I don't know much about Thiel or if he is legitimately being considered, but law professor and blogger Glenn Reynolds describes him as follows:

Stanford Law grad (which actually brings diversity to a court composed entirely of Harvard/Yale grads), libertarian, actual real-world experience — and he’d be the first openly gay Supreme Court justice.

Last edited:

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    So here's my own personal bias on appellate judges/justices: I want lawyers who've done lawyering.

Lawyers who've done hedge fund investing could be very smart, very successful and very dedicated. But, they don't have the skills necessary to be good appellate judges. Can they learn on the job? Probably. There are certainly justices who come from sheltered or one-dimensional backgrounds and excelled. But, in my experience, the more sheltered/one-dimensional they are professionally, the more difficult it is for them to determine what the important issues are in a case outside of their expertise.

And the diversity of appellate cases means that most of them will be outside of his expertise.

In this specific instance, SCOTUS has taken a near-annual interest in securities litigation, but only about 1 case per term. The vast majority of cases have nothing to do with anything he's familiar with.

ESPECIALLY when it comes to constitutional issues, I don't want the summit of the guy's experience to be getting an A in Con Law.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Last edited:

nate77

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 15, 2009
    Bunker Hill

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Good practice for Jr and the Trump team though. Never forget that the lib/neverTrump/anti-gun crowd is out there attempting to create ANY possible gotcha from the President Trump team.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oh Nate... please choose your battles wisely. Defending "gas chamber" lines is a tiny hill to die on. Would be like a politician making a 9/11 joke. You just don't do it.

Just an opinion and not saying I am right GP but....It seems the gist of his joke was insinuating that the media were behaving like Nazi's...Also Donald Jr's wife is Jewish...I am married to a Latin woman and I sometimes think that connection gives me a little lee way in language on the subject of illegal immigration.....(I am not saying that is right but I am just being honest..)

The Trump family (as well as their supporters) are accused of being Nazi's on a nearly daily basis by the media. So I see no problem with a young man married to a Jewish woman who is accused of being of a Nazi flinging the Nazi slur back onto the media....

IMHO

Last edited:

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Just an opinion and not saying I am right GP but....It seems the gist of his joke was insinuating that the media were behaving like Nazi's...Also Donald Jr's wife is Jewish...I am married to a Latin woman and I sometimes think that connection gives me a little lee way in language on the subject of illegal immigration...A "hood pass" if you will on matters of Latin issues....(I am not saying that is right but I am just being honest..)

The Trump family (as well as their supporters) are accused of being Nazi's on a nearly daily basis by the media. So I see no problem with a young man married to a Jewish woman who is accused of being of a Nazi flinging the Nazi slur back....

IMHO

I'm not even thinking of any sort of "nazi" connection, or who he's married to. It's tasteless. It's not a line you use during a public speaking occasion to elicit a positive response.

Saying he's implying the media/nazi connection is also interpreting his joke for him... something we've seen a lot with regards to stupid lines Trump has said. I'd rather take it at face value. If he wants to try and explain it that way, by all means.

Not calling him a Nazi, that's a childish way to participate in debate. But I am agreeing with critics that it's a very poor choice of words for the son of a Presidential nominee.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    I'm not even thinking of any sort of "nazi" connection, or who he's married to. It's tasteless. It's not a line you use during a public speaking occasion to elicit a positive response.

Saying he's implying the media/nazi connection is also interpreting his joke for him... something we've seen a lot with regards to stupid lines Trump has said. I'd rather take it at face value. If he wants to try and explain it that way, by all means.

Not calling him a Nazi, that's a childish way to participate in debate. But I am agreeing with critics that it's a very poor choice of words for the son of a Presidential nominee.

I am not making excuses...I said it's just my opinion...I took it that he was insinuating the media were behaving like Nazi's...When I hear "warming up the gas chambers" I do not think of any group in history other than Nazi's....I really don't care much about the activities of politicians children...Whether it is Malia burning one and twerking at a concert, the Bush girls drinking underage or Chelsea doing a terrible job at NBC....It's just not relevant to me...

I didn't interpret his joke for him...I swear to you that's how it sounded to me and still sounds to me....He was pointing out an obvious double standard that exists in the press.....

I do realize that Nazi/KKK jokes are considered only okay if directed at Republicans but I am a fair minded individual...Hank Jr. could no longer ask America "If they are ready for some football?" after comparing Obama to Hitler and a Fox news anchor lost her job for making the same comparison....

IMHO his comment was straight on and in no more poor taste than the "Bush is Hitler" theme that the media ran with the last six years of the Bush presidency...

IMHO and with respect to your opinion...

Last edited:

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    It is a shame people are so sesitive, you can't say anything without offending someone.

Nothing to do with offending anyone. Just a stupid line that reasonable people can look at and say, "Yeah, that was stupid." Then there are the people that actually make excuses for it because it happens to be the son of their idol. Or insinuate he was talking about "some different gas chamber".

Come on Nate. You aren't unreasonable... and one sign of that is that I still read and respond to your posts. This was a dumb thing for him to say, and you're allowed to think so.

I am not making excuses...I said it's just my opinion...I took it that he was insinuating the media were behaving like Nazi's...When I hear "stoking up the gas chambers" I do not think of any group in history other than Nazi's....I really don't care much about the activities of politicians children...Whether it is Malia burning one and twerking at a concert, the Bush girls drinking underage or Chelsea doing a terrible job at NBC....It's just not relevant to me...

I didn't interpret his joke for him...I swear to you that's how it sounded to me and still sounds to me....

Not saying you were necessarily making excuses, but the people before you are.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    .........Edit: Also, now that Trump is moving up in the polls... Can we reject the "POLLS ARE RIGGED AGAINST TRUMP" narrative? Can we go back to polls mattering?

No, the polls are still rigged he's just crushing them... that's how truly high in the polls he is when you adjust for artificial caps.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Non-politician children of non-politician candidates do stupid stuff because they don't really understand how campaigning works.

I can cut Jr. some slack.

But it was still a stupid, ill-considered rhetorical flourish.

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    Today, Trump calling for national 4% GDP growth goal...lol. Love it. I can just see Jeb (on tiptoes) saying, "I thought of that!"

( at least we're not plagiarizing Wookie anymore...)

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom