• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • NKBJ

at the ark
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2010
    The religion of ideologues, the activists and financial supporters of totalitarianism is often glaringly obvious.
    People in general need to worship. And people doing bad things often serve and/or worship the bad god.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Just came across this thread. Great article. Potentially fruitful discussion could have been had about the actual topic if someone hadn’t gone off about ”muh tribe got dissed”. So eager to find a pube in the ham sandwich, they just weren’t not gonna find one.

There’s a thread for religious discussions. But no. People had to get buthurt and use this topic, which really isn’t as much about atheism as it is about *some* atheists who treat their ideology as a religion, as a religion urinal to **** on. This is why I don’t call myself an atheist. It’s been my experience that the people who wear atheism on their sleeves are mostly *******s who can’t not be costic when the discussion turns to religion.

So anyway, Hough, thanks for posting the article, it serves as good insight into the thinking and how people get so radicalized. The title is fine. No buthurt from this nonbeliever. But damn. Could have been a good discussion. I’ve often thought that far leftists behave like it’s a religion.

Well said Jamil...

ajeandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Oct 25, 2013
    S. Indianapolis
    Some atheist seem so focused on forcing their non belief on others is almost religion reversed. Instead of just ignoring others acts or displays of faith they feel compelled to stomp it out in order to satisfy themselves. Almost like the kid on the playground who is jealous that another kid got a new ball so he kicks it over the fence so no one can play.

Actually this is almost a million times more common in every form of religion. Hey come join my team!

Have you EVER been visited by a non-religious person, uninvited, trying to convince you to join their thinking? Invite you to their “club?”

think about that one for a while....

ajeandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Oct 25, 2013
    S. Indianapolis
    So... we should tear down the Supreme Court Building?

dyk_supreme_court.jpg

Oh, and "separation of church and state" is not in the constitution. It was from a letter to the Danbury Baptists written by Thomas Jefferson. The first amendment states "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof;"

It guarantees freedom OF religion, not freedom FROM religion.

No freedom from religion? Wow. That’s literally INSANE.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    Do atheist celebrate Christmas with their kids? Do they tell them Santa is real and bringing them presents and that hes always watching and they better be good?
    Does it hurt anything? Does it bring them and their kids joy?

Kindof the same thing with religion. Fine if you dont believe or practice, but dont be the dick that tells the kids Santa isnt real. If they believe that's all that matters and its not hurting anyone. If they want to share their joy, just smile and say no thank you or maybe listen just to bring joy to someone else?
    Like I said, I know some great people who happen to not believe. I consider one family and I'd die for them if I needed to. I only want to live my life free and believe freely. I do not push my beliefs on anyone and I do not like anyone who does that to me regardless of beliefs. Sharing your joy is one thing, pushing after someone says no thank you, that's not cool

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Actually this is almost a million times more common in every form of religion. Hey come join my team!

Have you EVER been visited by a non-religious person, uninvited, trying to convince you to join their thinking? Invite you to their “club?”

No, but on public forums and social media they're certainly quick to belittle and ridicule people of faith. Even something as benign as someone "offering thoughts and prayers" for someone that has experienced tragedy is quick to draw ridicule. Pretty freakin' cold-hearted if you ask me. Maybe it happens online because of the anonymity that affords. And for what it's worth, other than a small handful of Jehovah's witnesses, I don't get people coming to me and trying to get me to "join their club". And even that happens very infrequently. Can't remember the last time in fact.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city

I dont need to think about it. The answer is yes all the time. Most religions don't visit your door either, the most prevelant one jehovahs witnesses is a cult in my informed opinion. And they never take no for an answer. They come back forever unless you chase them singing the national anthem in your boxers while waving your American flag off your porch. Ok I've said too much ;)

So back to it, atheists like to tell Christians all the time their religion is BS and they believe in fairy tales. Asking me to join their "club"? Well not really I mean there has to be some sort of rules or somethjng for a club even to exist doesnt their? I mean how would that invitation go? Hey you wanna join a club with a lack of hope for the future where we stomp out other peoples joy and call them idiots while mom brings us cookies downstairs?

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Do atheist celebrate Christmas with their kids? Do they tell them Santa is real and bringing them presents and that hes always watching and they better be good?

Kindof the same thing with religion. Fine if you dont believe or practice, but dont be the dick that tells the kids Santa isnt real. If they believe that's all that matters and its not hurting anyone. If they want to share their joy, just smile and say no thank you or maybe listen just to bring joy to someone else?
    Like I said, I know some great people who happen to not believe. I consider one family and I'd die for them if I needed to. I only want to live my life free and believe freely. I do not push my beliefs on anyone and I do not like anyone who does that to me regardless of beliefs. Sharing your joy is one thing, pushing after someone says no thank you, that's not cool

^^^This^^^ All of this.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    And by the by, there are exceptions, like Denny and PaulF. For the most part they have usually been respectful and I hope to be the same (a little good natured ribbing never hurt anyone). :)

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    No freedom from religion? Wow. That’s literally INSANE.

:rolleyes: Okay. I guess we have to do this. No. It's not literally INSANE. Well. I think, at least I hope, that when Christians assert the "no freedom from religion" line that what they mean is that there's no expectation written in law that people won't encounter religion. They don't have to practice their religion in secret so that you are free from seeing the practice thereof.

Some atheists get their asses wound a bit too tight when they see a Nativity scene on display in the public square at Christmas. In a mostly christian community it's not a problem if the community reflects its values in the public square. Get the **** over it. Having said that though, the reciprocal has to be respected. Christians shouldn't get their asses wound too tight when they see a community's values reflected differently from what they might want.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish

I didn't lie to my kid. Never did the Santa bull****. I guess I'm a dick.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Evangelist Larry Taunton and Christopher Hitchens became very good friends....They had debated each other twice and if you watch those debates they are very cordial to each other and Hitch does no Hitchslaps on Larry.....Larry once asked him about that....

"Christopher forgive me for asking but when we debate each other you seem nicer to me and I can tell you're not trying to destroy me...Why? Is it because we're friends?"

"No Larry....It's because I know you truly believe it with all of your heart...."

"Well then can you give me an example of someone that you think doesn't believe it?"

"Are you familiar with the Reverend Al Sharpton?"

"Yes.."

"Well there you go..."

:laugh:

taunton_hitchens.jpg

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Some atheists get their asses wound a bit too tight when they see a Nativity scene on display in the public square at Christmas. In a mostly christian community it's not a problem if the community reflects its values in the public square. Get the **** over it. Having said that though, the reciprocal has to be respected. Christians shouldn't get their asses wound too tight when they see a community's values reflected differently from what they might want.
    If I see some Jewish community having a Hannukah festival at the local school, it just makes me want to eat some latkas...

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    I never understood the outrage to religious symbols...ANY religious symbols. As long as I not forced to bend to one religion or the other, I'm good with religious symbols in schools, gov buildings, even public prayer. Being exposed to them or viewing them does not infringe on my rights and beliefs. I always opt out of praying with the groups but who would know without reading my mind...and then we all happily move on. Religious beliefs, or lack thereof, come from the inside out, not the outside in. Arguing about their beliefs or seeing religious symbols has likely NEVER changed a person's deeply held beliefs. It is a choice from within. People get wound too tight these days.

Last edited:

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I never understood the outrage to religious symbols...ANY religious symbols. As long as I not forced to bend to one religion or the other, I'm good with religious symbols in schools, gov buildings, even public prayer. Being exposed to them or viewing them does not infringe on my rights and beliefs. I always opt out of praying with the groups but who would know without reading my mind...and then we all happily move on. Religious beliefs, or lack thereof, come from the inside out, not the outside in. Arguing about their beliefs or seeing religious symbols has likely NEVER changed a person's deeply held beliefs. It is a choice from within. People get wound too tight these days.

Amen! (See what I did there? :):) :yesway:

Top Bottom