• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    As for the last, Jimmy Carter is a good example of sitting in the WH for a few years doing little or nothing. Oh, pardon me, I forgot his trip to TMI and his photo ops in his little rubber boots.
    As for the promises I expect him to keep, I'll refer to his "Gettysburg Address", when he said he would
    Repeal and replace the ACA (Obamacare)
    Withdraw from TPP
    Renegotiate NAFTA with Canada and Mexico
    Build a wall to secure our border with Mexico
    There were more, but these are all I remember off the top of my head.
    As for doing nothing while in the WH, I refer you to one James Earl Carter. As president, he was one helluva peanut farmer.
    As for his membership in the ranks of exulted chief executives, had you actually read my post you would have seen that I said

"I'll be honest, I don't give a rodent's rectum where ranks at some future time (those damn polls are all subjective, anyway). My hope is that he's a good president..."

By "good president" I mean one that leaves the country in better shape (economy, security and morale) than it was when he was elected. This is the same hope I have for everyone that takes on the job (yeah, I even had that hope for Barack Hussein, as ill founded as it turned out to be).

Are people really still believing in the wall thing?
    In an interview Trump said it will be mostly fencing (like it is currently) since you can't build walls everywhere because of the terrain.
    And after saying for a while "Mexico will pay for it", he went to "Mexico will refund us", to not mentioning who will pay for the Trump fence.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    In an interview Trump said it will be mostly fencing (like it is currently) since you can't build walls everywhere because of the terrain.
    And after saying for a while "Mexico will pay for it", he went to "Mexico will refund us", to not mentioning who will pay for the Trump fence.

:)
    63c528980618d26e5a4e81e003380c4cca2d5da21a928bbed43ad844194ccc81_1.jpg

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011

I think the Mexicans proved how effective walls were against them, at the Alamo. :dunno:

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    I think the Mexicans proved how effective walls were against them, at the Alamo. :dunno:

But they didn't have 2000 miles of walls at the Alamo.
    The shorter the wall the easier it is to defend.
    Well unless it's the White House were people still jump the fence even though it's supposedly protected by a bunch of armed officers.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Well unless it's the White House were people still jump the fence even though it's supposedly protected by a bunch of armed officers.

The Alamo had more men, guns, and cannon per foot of wall. Look into how much wall the a single border agent is responsible for. It boggles the mind.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Just the turning back of all the Obama exec orders, foolish regulations, climate change silliness and Obamacare will be a huge boost for the economy. Wall St is already recognizing this. Add in a few tax cuts and our economy will be off to the races.

[video=youtube;8qrriKcwvlY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8qrriKcwvlY[/video]

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne

Another point often overlooked is what a legal plane ticket costs from Mexico to Canada versus the cost of a smuggler to get across the southern border.

#1) Get on plane in Mexico City.
    #2) Land in Winnipeg Canada.
    #3) Drive as many miles as needed to walk across a border almost 4,000 miles long and negligibly patrolled.

Googling this it costs on average about $3,500 (+/- $500) to pay a smuggler (aka. coyote) to get into the US from Mexico.

Alternatively, it costs less than $600 (after the holidays) to fly from Mexico City to Winnipeg Canada. Look at where Winnipeg is located. It is less than 120 kilometers from the border and all along that area are thousands of miles of back roads that run parallel to the border. Go at night and walk across.

So if the wall is actually built it will be easy for illegals to get into the US.

I am NOT saying we do not take action to secure our borders! Every nation has a sovereign right and duty to secure itself. My only point is that a wall is not necessarily the best solution to the problem at hand.

My solution would be to pass legislation forcing the IRS to review all social security numbers that are used more than once. Then feed that information to the INS. They do NOT do this now! Then go after the companies that hire the illegal workers HARD! Also go after contractors in some way for subcontractors. This would be more difficult but doable. Nail a few companies with fines. Maybe put one out of business. Call a press conference and make a YUGE deal out of it! Guess how many illegals will be hired after that...?

Immigration wasn't such a big deal 110 years ago when the bulk of our immigration occurred. We didn't have free medical, medicaid, social security, food stamps, etc. We weren't a welfare nation. So when an immigrant came to America it was work or starve. A strong motivator for most who were hard working to begin with. Today the negative impact on our economy is more significant even by Americans, illegal immigration only exacerbates an already existing problem.

Regards,

Doug

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    So the Chinese can build the largest structure on earth centuries ago but due to terrain issues we cannot build a wall. Ok.

No one expects a concrete wall across the whole border. We do expect something effective though.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    All I have to say is that I don't know how Trump will end up doing, but he's off to a good start by not using cockamamie, made-up terms like "The Office of the President Elect". Who would be such a buffoon, a nimrod to invent such a BS phrase:

6a00d834516bb169e2010535dc0d2b970b-600wi

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy

Another point often overlooked is what a legal plane ticket costs from Mexico to Canada versus the cost of a smuggler to get across the southern border.

#1) Get on plane in Mexico City.
    #2) Land in Winnipeg Canada.
    #3) Drive as many miles as needed to walk across a border almost 4,000 miles long and negligibly patrolled.

Googling this it costs on average about $3,500 (+/- $500) to pay a smuggler (aka. coyote) to get into the US from Mexico.

Alternatively, it costs less than $600 (after the holidays) to fly from Mexico City to Winnipeg Canada. Look at where Winnipeg is located. It is less than 120 kilometers from the border and all along that area are thousands of miles of back roads that run parallel to the border. Go at night and walk across.

So if the wall is actually built it will be easy for illegals to get into the US.

I am NOT saying we do not take action to secure our borders! Every nation has a sovereign right and duty to secure itself. My only point is that a wall is not necessarily the best solution to the problem at hand.

My solution would be to pass legislation forcing the IRS to review all social security numbers that are used more than once. Then feed that information to the INS. They do NOT do this now! Then go after the companies that hire the illegal workers HARD! Also go after contractors in some way for subcontractors. This would be more difficult but doable. Nail a few companies with fines. Maybe put one out of business. Call a press conference and make a YUGE deal out of it! Guess how many illegals will be hired after that...?

Immigration wasn't such a big deal 110 years ago when the bulk of our immigration occurred. We didn't have free medical, medicaid, social security, food stamps, etc. We weren't a welfare nation. So when an immigrant came to America it was work or starve. A strong motivator for most who were hard working to begin with. Today the negative impact on our economy is more significant even by Americans, illegal immigration only exacerbates an already existing problem.

Regards,

Doug

Most of illegal immigrants are people who oversay their tourist or student visa anyway, they come from all around the world and enter the country legally.
    You can't stop them with a wall.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    So the Chinese can build the largest structure on earth centuries ago but due to terrain issues we cannot build a wall. Ok.

No one expects a concrete wall across the whole border. We do expect something effective though.

Surely you're not comparing a wall that took almost 300 years to build, used forced labor, and was designed to stop a group that eventually conquered ALL of China, as a positive example?

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    Surely you're not comparing a wall that took almost 300 years to build, used forced labor, and was designed to stop a group that eventually conquered ALL of China, as a positive example?

Nope.

you said it couldn't be done. I showed that with inferior technology centuries ago it could be

the "teamwork" motivational poster with that still still cracks me up due to the slavery used though

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy

There are moving sand dunes in some areas where you cannot build a solid wall.

It's why they build that fence.

main_1200.jpg

It works at stopping cars ...

smuggling-jeep-over-mexico-border-barrier01.jpg

Also the Chinese didn't have to bother with land owners.
    Many people who own ranches over there with land on both side of the border don't want a freaking wall in the middle of their property.

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Most of illegal immigrants are people who oversay their tourist or student visa anyway, they come from all around the world and enter the country legally.
    You can't stop them with a wall.

I understand. But most folks see the illegal immigration as coming through our southern border, even if it isn't so.

That is why I framed the position as I did regarding that perceived threat.

Note that the IRS could also play a YUGE role in rounding up those who overstay their legal visa's but it just isn't done. It isn't as exciting or comfortable to root for an IRS agent in a suit filing papers against a company hiring illegals as it is to support a muscle bound manly man building a great barrier across the wild southern frontier.

Regards,

Doug

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Nope.

you said it couldn't be done. I showed that with inferior technology centuries ago it could be

the "teamwork" motivational poster with that still still cracks me up due to the slavery used though

Who again, said it couldn't be "done," from a structural standpoint? I don't recall making that claim.

Top Bottom