• ...and so much more!
  • 88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    Maybe before replacing the frame, you could have some fun with a bit of JB Weld and a file to recontour it a bit. Maybe add a bit of a palm swell or something no sane person would do to a decent Glock frame. If it turns out well, get it Cerakoted and call it done. If not, take no photos, replace the frame and nobody would be the wiser of your experiment.

Dog1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Feb 15, 2010
    Clark County, Indiana
    oh, I had not considered a carry optics gun. Good call. Hmmmmmm

edit: Was seriously thinking about this one! Might as well add a threaded barrel while I am at it. Would cost some coin. I have decided the better option would be to sell you the G19, let you build it really cool and just right. And then buy it back when at a great price when you are tired of it. :D

What's funny about your post is, that I am currently waiting for my slide to come back from having the optic cut performed on it so I can finish my Roland Special.

So I'm not tired of it yet LOL.

On a serious note though - if I were you I would seriously consider getting a frame and then just going hog-wild on it. That is a great candidate for a carry optics gun.

jonny4523

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    May 26, 2009
    Lafayette
    I've seen some very talented stipple work. I'm sure someone could fix it. I'm guessing the texturing is still functional? I'd make it a work horse and shoot the crap out of it. Maybe it would be the loaner gun for buddies to use to try out.

Or, if you don't want to mess with it, shoot me a price!

bobjones223

Master
    Rating - 98.2%
    55   1   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Noblesville, IN
    So I vote for putting the entire gun back in the oven (like the last owner)...once the grip gets soft enough to stipple with a pencil then you can straighten out the guide rod and open up the magwell again.

Once you get a mag to drop free, take a drill with 1/8" drill bit to each of the stipple holes. This will lighten the frame and allow air to pass through it...THUS MAKING IT FASTER TO GET ON TARGET!!!.

Then send it off to AllenM and have him paint it like a yellow piece of swiss cheese. Post it in the Classifieds for sale. I think there is a mouse on this site that may be interested though he tends to like 1911's? ....(Please insert purple where fit)

Last edited:

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Seems like there should be some way to fill the stippling (after hacksawing/fixing the mag drop problem) with wood glue or some sort of sandable/paintable polymer.

Once that's done, (after fixing the mag drop thing) there are various ways of painting/staining that look like a wood grain. It MIGHT be kinda cool to have a Glock that looks like it has a wood grain (or pearlescent) finish.

Might.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    So I vote for putting the entire gun back in the oven (like the last owner)...once the grip gets soft enough to stipple with a pencil then you can straighten out the guide rod and open up the magwell again.

Once you get a mag to drop free, take a drill with 1/8" drill bit to each of the stipple holes. This will lighten the frame and allow air to pass through it...THUS MAKING IT FASTER TO GET ON TARGET!!!.

Then send it off to AllenM and have him paint it like a yellow piece of swiss cheese. Post it in the Classifieds for sale. I think there is a mouse on this site that may be interested though he tends to like 1911's? ....(Please insert purple where fit)

^^^^^^^THIS 1000%^^^^^^^^

:rofl: :rofl:

1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    81   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN
    I figured I would post this up because I thought it would lead to some interesting conversation. Seems that people are leaning towards fixing the little guy. I am not opposed to that at all and have even been looking at frames online. It's hard to say exactly what I paid for this Glock because I was also looking at a second Glock in the case and like a smart@$$ I asked he shop owner what kind of deal he would give me if I took both. Put up or shut up I guess and I actually ended up with two Glocks. So to keep the math easy I have $300 in this very ugly but currently functional G19. Let's say I order a $75 OEM frame + $40 fee + $30 transfer. Now I have $445 in a G19. Yes it would be nearly new again and not out of line in value but I can buy $450 Glocks almost any day.

88 I had a G23 that I carried for years. Sold it to my brother not to long ago. In fact he still owes me money. :laugh: If I still had it I would do as you suggested and just swap the slides onto that frame. Worst case I will just swap him the G19 for a conversion. He works in a brewery so maybe I can negotiate a good trade.

This thing just screams creativity guys. I have a couple ideas but would love to hear more.

1) send it off for a grip reduction and rebuild. But not sure I want to drop more money on a gun I will never carry or probably never shoot.
    2) buy a timber wolf frame. Probably cheaper then the grip reduction. Something cool and different. But $200.
    3) I do have a hacksaw and a dremel....... I also have a G26 and another G19 in the safe. Might be able to fix the magazine falling free issue and I wouldn't have to buy anything.
    4) Just leave it alone and have a beater gun laying around. The whole magazine not dropping free in a defensive gun isn't a big deal for me. A G19 carries as much ammo onboard as my preferred EDCs do including the spare magazine. If the gun malfunctions I will have to rip the mag free anyway. But I agree the mag not falling free is not something I would recommend.

edit: 5) Metallic Gold Krylon and bedazzle it. Come on you know you have wanted to try it.

I made a trade with an ingo member for a second gen 19. I noticed some of the plastics frame rails were cracked off or peeling off. I called glock and $19.73 later for shipping to home base I had a new? gen 3 frame, gen 3 slide, and gen 2 barrel from the old 19. I was given the offer to spend $180 for my choice of any 9 or 40 glock that didn't come in long slide but figure start small and see f I like the thing. Which so far has been pleasant even though I'm a huge 3rd gen smith fan.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Hah! The gun in the photo is freakin' beauty queen compared to my old G17 (I think it was a Gen 1, or an older Gen 2 once upon a time). Shooter521 took some photos once. I think they broke his camera. It was even rusted. On the slide.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    After much thought and some good advice I am going to follow Burl's suggestion and not spend any money on this gun for now. In fact the goal is to use only materials that I have on hand and see what I can come up with. I can always go crazy later.........

and I already have a backup blaster for training classes. Looks like this:

FullSizeRender_zpsehbbex8l.jpg

Thanks for for reminding me that I need to spend money on software and not more gadgets.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Yep...I would have bought it and project gun the hell out of it.

Which is why the store owner sold it to me instead of putting it in the case. He didn't want to see it flipped at a gun show or on armslist. Figured if I didn't want it I would sell it to someone who did.

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    I would go the route of wrapping a mag in a single layer of 400 grit, followed up with 1000grit.

My guess is that the guy dimpled through the magwell. I stippled my glock, and I didn't get ANYWHERE near going through the magwell.

If you decide to try with a different lower, I'd be interested in trying to repair the lower, or make it into a g26L style lower.

BGDave

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    207   0   0
    Sep 15, 2011
    Beech Grove
    Put an "extendo" in it and hide it in your garage or basement for a hide-out gun. If there is more than 32 bad guys, save the last round. :draw::rockwoot:

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    After much thought and some good advice I am going to follow Burl's suggestion...

Wise, very wise...

:laugh:

In the meantime, just run that gun with a G17 mag or +4/5 extension. Easier to pull the mag out and more rounds before you need to. Even crippled up, this gun is still twice as good (capacity wise) as most of the "popular" carry guns with 5-8 rounds. Pulling a mag to put in another is slow, but not near as slow as having to do it twice as often. :twocents:

Maybe dedicate that gun into your training scenarios? "Your gun quit, this is your battlefield pickup." Four rounds in the gun, partial mags laying around to feed it?
    Lot's of oportunity with this. We all know that even seasoned "gun people" often have trouble with muzzle discipline when bending over with gun in hand, right?

Top Bottom