• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    Exactly a year and a day for the suppressor to be ready for pickup... then my background check for the dealer to give it to me got delayed. Still waiting...

uh the dealer shouldn't have to do a background check, your check was done by the atf!

box 20 "no nics check was required because a background check was completed during the NFA approval process on the individual who will receive the NFA firearm(s) as reflected on the approved NFA application"

https://www.atf.gov/firearms/docs/4...n-record-over-counter-atf-form-53009/download

remember, if you buy from an instate individual, ie if I'm selling my class 3 item to you, and we both live in Indiana, we don't have to use a dealer, and if neither of us is a dealer, how do we do a 4473 background check? (my suppressor is coming from the lawyer who's handling the estate of the deceased, and he's a person, and not a dealer)

the only reason a dealer fills out the 4473 on a class 3 item is as it serves as a record of disposition for the fbi/atf!

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    Exactly a year and a day for the suppressor to be ready for pickup... then my background check for the dealer to give it to me got delayed. Still waiting...

shootersix is pretty much right on. Doing a background check on an NFA is no longer needed since the ATF/FBI has already done the check

Only time a dealer was required to run the background check was pre 41F on a trust and that was to insure that the person picking up the NFA item was a proper person since technically no background check was done on a trust

shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    call cooper customs, and have them read box 20, so at least they don't do this to someone else!

you're right, they should know this!, it might be someone new or that they need to be reminded of this!, and I admit, I'm not a "nfa expert" by any means, but even I know you don't need a second check!

in fact, i'm so scared of the nfa process, when someone want to buy an nfa item, I let the store owner handle that, only because if I mess up, it could delay you getting you item! and damn 9 months is a long time to wait for this stuff, I don't want to delay it any longer!

get that can out! go shooting!

Gabriel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    The shore of wonderful Lake Michigan
    I just called them. They said it is store policy to do another background check before letting an NFA item out the door. The reasoning was there was a time between when the NFA check was done and when the person comes to pick it up that the person could have committed a felony and be out on bond. That is their exact words.

shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    I just called them. They said it is store policy to do another background check before letting an NFA item out the door. The reasoning was there was a time between when the NFA check was done and when the person comes to pick it up that the person could have committed a felony and be out on bond. That is their exact words.

I hope that the nics ok's your transfer within 30 days!, ive had people that never got resolved!, and after 30 days, the 4473 has to be filled out again!

if it were me, it'd be my last purchase at copper customs! I mean come on, do you really think that the government does your check right away, and holds your stamp for 9 months?, no they do your check in the month before they send it to you!

I called and asked the atf a question about mine (my lawyer printed out the forms himself, and printed 2 set 1's that say to be kept by the atf) I asked if that was a problem, and she said "send them in, if we return them to you, after return them to us you're within 2 weeks of being approved"

so copper customs is playing a game of "covering our a$$" for no reason!

didn't I read on here that you're an leo? if so, anything that'd make you fail a background check would also make you unemployed!

NyleRN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Scottsburg
    Still have 3 months waiting on my other Element 2 and just bought a TBAC Ultra 9 for my bolt guns. Hopefully I'll have it by August :rolleyes:

shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    I talked to the lawyer representing the estate(who also happens to be a friend of mine) and he said the atf contacted him last Monday (12-3) and asked for probate information on the estate, they said I didn’t include the copies the lawyer gave me (I did!) he emailed them to the atf, they said should be approved in 2-4 weeks! So still waiting.

the funny thing is he said they contacted him asking for the same info on the other 2 nfa items from the estate, so it looks like they “lose” those items on a regular basis

Areoflyer09

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 28, 2017
    Indianapolis
    After 222 days of waiting, ATF informed they sent an error letter back to the dealer last week. There was a serial number issue somewhere and it’s being corrected.

The waiting continues...

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    After 222 days of waiting, ATF informed they sent an error letter back to the dealer last week. There was a serial number issue somewhere and it’s being corrected.

The waiting continues...

I picked up a can last Friday that was check cashed on 4/20. Hopefully they get the S/N issue corrected quickly

cg21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    Check cashed today.... for my very first suppressor.... seems like forever already since I mailed it :laugh: going to be a long year

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    My wait didn’t really get to me until I hit the 7 month point. Prior to that, just don’t think about it.

That's the worst part. You know it's "close" but everyday just drags on... lol I just got an efile form 1 back about 40days, everyday after 10 was longer than the one before it being it seemed like everyone else was getting insta stamps.

Top Bottom