• Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Part of that may be due to the fact that Saturn is dead, too.

What does your Forte have in it? Auto or CVT?

I've had to cut out so many cars off the "can buy if needed" list due to blasted CVTs.

Auto. I'll never buy a CVT again.

ETA: Only thing I dont like is its a sealed transmission. (no dipstick) If it starts to leak even a tiny bit I have to take it in for service. So if it springs a drip, I dont have the option of limping it home and making an appointment and topping it off as necessary in the meantime.

So, is it just that fact that a CVT isn't a handful of metals gears that make them distasteful, or is there a mechanical reason?

Most people who hate them tell me, "They don't feel/sound/act the same [as what I'm used too]."

I would think that if you can make a reliable CVT, that seems like a good thing, no? Doesn't keep the engine in a ideal rev, give you torque almost instantly without hesitation from a gear change...

Its a mechanical issue. I liked the smoothness. It would shift from 1st to 2nd, but after that you wouldnt feel any other transitions. But as said, they just are not nearly as durable.

Last edited:

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I would think that if you can make a reliable CVT, that seems like a good thing, no?

You hit on the problem. IF you can make it reliable. The concept is a very old one, but was designed for (by modern standards) low stress applications. It works great on a lathe. It works great in a 15hp situation. It has not translated well into the power, speed, and weight of modern cars. The design is inherently fragile, and improvements in materials hasn't been able to overcome that.

COOPADUP

Accipiter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 8, 2017
    Hamilton County
    Subaru has them in all but the rally and sports cars.
    They have been kind of the leader using them so maybe a better build.
    Really hard to say.

nonobaddog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    Tropical Minnesota
    Subaru has them in all but the rally and sports cars.
    They have been kind of the leader using them so maybe a better build.
    Really hard to say.

Just look up subaru cvt problems - they have had plenty. Rather than fixing the source of the issue, they extended the warranty. Be very cautious buying a used one.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Auto. I'll never buy a CVT again.

ETA: Only thing I dont like is its a sealed transmission. (no dipstick) If it starts to leak even a tiny bit I have to take it in for service. So if it springs a drip, I dont have the option of limping it home and making an appointment and topping it off as necessary in the meantime.

For the record, there are plenty of "sealed transmissions (no dipstick)" that are not CVTs. A lot of Toyotas are sealed transmissions, without a dipstick, but are not CVTs.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    For the record, there are plenty of "sealed transmissions (no dipstick)" that are not CVTs. A lot of Toyotas are sealed transmissions, without a dipstick, but are not CVTs.

I think you misunderstood my comment. I've got a sealed auto. Not a CVT *spits on ground* :):

The CVT I am referring to is 2 or 3 cars ago.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    I think you misunderstood my comment. I've got a sealed auto. Not a CVT *spits on ground* :):

The CVT I am referring to is 2 or 3 cars ago.

Ah, sorry about that. Yep, seems like the general trend in automobiles of making them less owner serviceable just continues.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    So, is it just that fact that a CVT isn't a handful of metals gears that make them distasteful, or is there a mechanical reason?

Most people who hate them tell me, "They don't feel/sound/act the same [as what I'm used too]."

I would think that if you can make a reliable CVT, that seems like a good thing, no? Doesn't keep the engine in a ideal rev, give you torque almost instantly without hesitation from a gear change...

The few cars I've driven that have had a CVT have driven just fine for me and my use. One of them was a Mitsubishi rental SUV we drove to the Atlanta area a few years ago. It was practically brand new. It drove and handled wonderfully on our trip. Zero complaints about it, even if it did feel kind of rubbery when starting out from a stop.

As others have said, it's just an almost inherently flawed concept for a modern passenger vehicle. Some kind of synthetic banding that does the driving in many of them - kind of like an engine's serpentine belt (but shorter and way stronger). Better ones use metal bands. The best ones use a chain (I think) - like a timing chain in an engine.

If you're a person who just loves always having a car payment of some kind, then a CVT vehicle may be perfect for you. If you get rid of them before the powertrain warranty is up. Most people in America do this (unfortunately) - so there's not really any incentive to engineer a CVT that will reliably go 150k + miles the way a standard auto can.

Subaru and Honda probably have the better CVTs on the market. Subaru, though not without their issues, has been at it the longest. Honda has one hell of a reputation to uphold. Same with Toyota (I know the Corolla has a CVT, probably others as well).

Nissan is probably the worst - and they have been for a long time. Not to mention the other issues that Nissan has.

And the thing is - plenty of CVT owners go 150k + miles with nary an issue. And some auto owners have trouble at 50k miles.

But for my money - standard auto is where I'll be as long as I possibly can.

nonobaddog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    Tropical Minnesota
    I'm even thinking of getting a resto-mod type car from an auction place like Mecum. An older style body (50's, 60's) with updated drive-train and suspension. A real V-8 with a floor-shift just like the old days.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    I like a standard automatic transmission over a CVT for driving feel, but automatics are not without their issues. Depending on manufacturer, of course. Most of Nissan's products have what is probably the worst CVT on the market, which is sad, since Nissans used to be famously reliable. They are now sort of the Chrysler of Japan. Heck, Chrysler might have more reliable transmissions than Nissan right now, and that is scary. :):

Top Bottom