• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    You'd be surprised what business managers will do when confronted face to face with a pissed off customer. Many on such a low dollar complaint like this will write you a check just to make you go away and hope it causes you to return. Only a fool would keep your $300 if it means being badmouthed and losing a customer (and his friends) forever. Its cheaper to cut that check.

I think that Andy Mohr might be a special case. I probably buy and sell more cars than the average person, I get bored easy and always want the latest thing. So I have dealt with most of the major dealerships in the area. Ray Skillman, O'Brien, Tom Wood, CarMax, etc. The one that I will NEVER buy a vehicle from is Andy Mohr. I have never had a more ridiculously low trade-in offer from a dealer in my life. A solid $2000 less than other dealers offered. It is no surprise to me that they are apparently still using sleazy used car salesman techniques like "window etching" to soak their customers (victims).

I can't imagine that they care about a customer who buys a $2500 car. You were an easy mark, and they are on to the next one, IMO.

They only way I'll ever get screwed at an Andy Mohr dealership is if the hot chick that does their commercials wants to have a go. I might not mind a "dock" fee for that. :):

CHCRandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Hendricks County
    I was at Chevy recently getting wife's car serviced. While it was there I asked for a trade in value to be done, all I wanted was to know how much they would allow me trade in on my 2017 Malibu with 28K miles, they immediately asked what I owed on it and what I wanted to buy.....I told them that don't matter (because I don't owe much on it). The only reason I was gonna trade was because I need to either buy extended warranty or get a new car before 36K miles....you know I never did get a trade in value!

Salesman called me and said they could get me in a new car with very little change in payment....I laughed and said really? I asked him 2 or 3 times how much trade in is in USD $$ dollar bills......I still never got a value. I got frustrated with them and just said forget it.

I hate buying cars. Finance guys are shady....I put money down on a new truck, suppose to be 2.9%(TCU had done pre-approved me), went to sign papers and they(Andy Mohr) tried getting me for 6% on paper work. I called them out and they wouldn't lower it so I walked from deal. I could have went to TCU and finsihed deal directly.....but I so distrusted the dealer I didn't even want the truck from them.

Same thing with my wife's car when I bought it new. Salesman gave me one price......went to buy and finance guy was charging me almost $3000 more. I complained about difference in our calculations(part of it was $400 in sales tax, didnt know tax is paid on MSRP & rebates, regardless of what you pay). Manager ended up coming in and used more rebates to get car down to price salesman agreed to.

I have found the best way to buy a car is find a small dealer and go to the dealer auction. Pay them $500 and get what you want and avoid the dealers.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    I think that Andy Mohr might be a special case. I probably buy and sell more cars than the average person, I get bored easy and always want the latest thing. So I have dealt with most of the major dealerships in the area. Ray Skillman, O'Brien, Tom Wood, CarMax, etc. The one that I will NEVER buy a vehicle from is Andy Mohr. I have never had a more ridiculously low trade-in offer from a dealer in my life. A solid $2000 less than other dealers offered. It is no surprise to me that they are apparently still using sleazy used car salesman techniques like "window etching" to soak their customers (victims).

I can't imagine that they care about a customer who buys a $2500 car. You were an easy mark, and they are on to the next one, IMO.

They only way I'll ever get screwed at an Andy Mohr dealership is if the hot chick that does their commercials wants to have a go. I might not mind a "dock" fee for that. :):

This girl?
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=v1a0pVL9_fI

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Off course they are NOT going to tell you the trade in value.
    They want to lock you into their finance house.
    Joe Public is used to paying say 200 a month for his car note on his 2015 car. Joe Public has no idea how long his current loan is or how much the interest rate is.

However if Joe Public goes I to dealership they will set him up with a new say $210 car note for LONGER time then his current one, at higher interest for his new 2020 car.

And Joe Public will be happy little does he know he is a slave to all that debt. :facepalm:

bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    Buying new cars is such a waste of income anyway. Why buy new when you can buy a 1 or two year old car with factory warranty left for 2/3 the price or less. Unless you just need to have the status symbol of a new car or a business that pays for it there is no financial benefit to buying new.

personally I buy lightly used Korean cars for half or less their new price with low miles. Use them until they are done sell to some fool that needs a cheap beater for a couple grand and repeat the process.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Buying new cars is such a waste of income anyway. Why buy new when you can buy a 1 or two year old car with factory warranty left for 2/3 the price or less. Unless you just need to have the status symbol of a new car or a business that pays for it there is no financial benefit to buying new.

personally I buy lightly used Korean cars for half or less their new price with low miles. Use them until they are done sell to some fool that needs a cheap beater for a couple grand and repeat the process.

The last two new cars we bought were actually "cheaper" in the long run. With zero percent financing, the final cost over a 2yo car was only slightly larger. Used car payment was nearly the same for a similar used car with used car financing.

but I agree. All things equal I prefer someone else to take that giant hit in the first year.

Last edited:

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Well, I prefer new cars. Two of my cars were new. I knew exactly how they were treated and maintained.
    But, I run them till they are a pile of rust, then off to the junkyard.

Dealers and cars are all over the place. There is no car or dealer that I just can't get up and walk away from.
    When I was in HUGE credit card debt and I needed to step up from a clunker, I was looking at buying one for $6,000 (or less).
    One dealer was talking to me, seemed to be fine.
    Get the paper to sign, it was higher than $6k.
    I looked at it, then at him. He started to explain it was this and that and not his fault.
    I put the paper down and walked out the door after calmly explaining 6k out the door meant 6k out the door.
    I ended up buying it, because I got it for 6k.
    Had he not done that, well, there are other cars... and dealers.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    And I NEVER talk about the "monthly payments".
    That's figured out at home.
    For the right monthly payments, you could be paying on a car for 20 years, long after it's dust.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Buying new cars is such a waste of income anyway. Why buy new when you can buy a 1 or two year old car with factory warranty left for 2/3 the price or less.

Good luck finding 2 year old truck for 2/3 the price of a new one with incentives. I bought new in 2012, have a lifetime bumper-to-bumper warranty (that you can't get on a used car) and the only farts in the seat are mine.

Bosshoss

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 11, 2009
    MADISON
    (part of it was $400 in sales tax, didnt know tax is paid on MSRP & rebates, regardless of what you pay).
    This is not correct.
    Sales tax in Indiana is paid on only the amount you pay. Rebates and MSRP have nothing to do with sales tax. When you trade in a vehicle you only pay sales tax on the difference after trade is subtracted from the selling price without the trade.

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    Good luck finding 2 year old truck for 2/3 the price of a new one with incentives. I bought new in 2012, have a lifetime bumper-to-bumper warranty (that you can't get on a used car) and the only farts in the seat are mine.

He said car, not truck.

Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Aug 4, 2017
    Fishers
    This is not correct.
    Sales tax in Indiana is paid on only the amount you pay. Rebates and MSRP have nothing to do with sales tax. When you trade in a vehicle you only pay sales tax on the difference after trade is subtracted from the selling price without the trade.

Part of this is true. Please stop posting incorrect information. Rebates are always subject to sales tax in Indiana.

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    There are rare cases where buying new is the right decision. Trucking fleets—where cost of operating is the arbiter of survival— buy new trucks instead of used. Why? Because a “used” class 8 truck is out of warranty, has half a million miles, and often has worse mpg.

But the consumer vehicle market often isn’t like that. There are plenty of used vehicles out there that half a lot of life left in them.

Our 2005 van we bought in spring of ‘06 as a private party used vehicle with 20k on it already. Saved $9k vs buying brand new 06. Wife drives daily.

I bought my diesel truck new in ‘02. Sold it used for an absurdly high price I couldn’t turn down. But were it not for diesel pickup market getting stupid from 2005-2015, I’d have taken a bath. The truck I sold for $20k would be worth maybe $5k with a gas engine.

And now new trucks are just stupid expensive because the market is driven entirely by credit and long payment periods. It will crash, and when it does I’ll buy a truck.

Top Bottom