• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hawkeye7br

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 9, 2015
    Terre Haute
    When I remarried, we rented out my house. It sat empty for a couple months. I was making payments on it. It depreciated. I was astounded when a sharp CPA friend got us a ton of refund on the tax year. More power to him.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Hough was correct. The NYT article said that while Trump was disputing taxes one year, he still made his payments of the estimated taxes. By the time he filed, he owed much less than what he paid in, so he applied the several million dollars in overpayments over subsequent years. Also there was the thing where he could take a loss on stuff that Pelosi’s congress passed as relief in 2008, which also allowed him to split over multiple years.

Another puzzling thing is the wording announcing the leak. They didn’t say they had his tax returns. They said they had his tax return information. Later in the article they referred to it as tax return data, not tax returns. Makes me wonder exactly what they have.
    Not only that there apparently is US code that specifically relates to penalties for unauthorized tax return dissemination by "government employees" OR "other persons" not authorized to do so. Seems to me the NYT would fall into the specific section of the code pertaining to "others".

26 U.S. Code § 7213 - Unauthorized disclosure of information

prev | next
    (a)Returns and return information(1)Federal employees and other personsIt shall be unlawful for any officer or employee of the United States or any person described in section 6103(n) (or an officer or employee of any such person), or any former officer or employee, willfully to disclose to any person, except as authorized in this title, any return or return information (as defined in section 6103(b)). Any violation of this paragraph shall be a felony punishable upon conviction by a fine in any amount not exceeding $5,000, or imprisonment of not more than 5 years, or both, together with the costs of prosecution, and if such offense is committed by any officer or employee of the United States, he shall, in addition to any other punishment, be dismissed from office or discharged from employment upon conviction for such offense.

(2)State and other employeesIt shall be unlawful for any person (not described in paragraph (1)) willfully to disclose to any person, except as authorized in this title, any return or return information (as defined in section 6103(b)) acquired by him or another person under subsection (d), (i)(1)(C), (3)(B)(i), or (7)(A)(ii), (k)(10), (13), or (14), (l)(6), (7), (8), (9), (10), (12), (15), (16), (19), (20), or (21) or (m)(2), (4), (5), (6), or (7) of section 6103 or under section 6104(c). Any violation of this paragraph shall be a felony punishable by a fine in any amount not exceeding $5,000, or imprisonment of not more than 5 years, or both, together with the costs of prosecution.

(3)Other personsIt shall be unlawful for any person to whom any return or return information (as defined in section 6103(b)) is disclosed in a manner unauthorized by this title thereafter willfully to print or publish in any manner not provided by law any such return or return information. Any violation of this paragraph shall be a felony punishable by a fine in any amount not exceeding $5,000, or imprisonment of not more than 5 years, or both, together with the costs of prosecution.

therewolf

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 9, 2013
    United States
    Trump's taxes are between the IRS and Trump. If the IRS is satisfied, that he paid his taxes, what business is it, of anybody else's ?

Did the IRS up and decide not to handle Trump's taxes ? If George Soros was asked about HIS taxes, you can bet HE would be the FIRST to tell you'
    "THAT'S BETWEEN ME AND THE IRS!"

terrehautian

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 6, 2012
    Where ever my GPS says I am
    I wonder what information they have and how they got it. If they got returns and got them illegally, they need prosecuted. I see people who are not tax professionals posting about how Trump didn't pay hardly any taxes without knowing the details. Until they are released by him, any information is hearsay and while he could have only paid 750 dollars one year, as posted by others elsewhere, he more then likely took advantage of existing tax laws. Good for him, everyone should do that. That is why I go to CPA over a place like H & R block.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Trump's taxes are between the IRS and Trump. If the IRS is satisfied, that he paid his taxes, what business is it, of anybody else's ?

Did the IRS up and decide not to handle Trump's taxes ? If George Soros was asked about HIS taxes, you can bet HE would be the FIRST to tell you'
    "THAT'S BETWEEN ME AND THE IRS!"

Well, it's standard practice that if there is a criminal prosecution regarding someone's taxes, the matter is handled by the U.S. Attorney in the district at issue. However, it is correct to say that these things normally originate with the IRS...but they don't have to.

But clearly, this was a partisan fishing expedition.

thelefthand

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2008

This has been my stance all along. There's no legal obligation for Trump to make his tax returns public, or otherwise divulge his personal tax information. As others have stated, his taxes are handled by others, so I'd be surprised if Trump could have an accurate, detailed discussion about them even if he wanted to. While he IS (or was) captain of the ship, he did not cook the meals served in the mess hall.

Hillary's e-mails, along with other electronic data, were destroyed AFTER the FBI had obtained a warrant to search the data as part of an investigation. Once the judge signed the warrant, that data became evidence. Tampering with evidence is a crime that will land you in prison even on a small scale. Deleting the information, having your staff literally destroy their hard drives, and paying an outside company to scrub all traces of the information??? All I can say is WOW! Way to raise the bar!

Top Bottom