Thinking about a Sig, input requested...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Fordtough25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.1%
    110   1   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Jefferson County
    I'm throwing around the idea of picking up a new to me pistol after Thanksgiving and I haven't had a Sig yet so I thought I would check them out. I like the looks of the P226 and P220, I enjoy shoting both 9mm and 45 acp so that's good, I have plenty of ammo for those calibers as well. I guess I am looking for some opinions on how they shoot, feel, and function. They're pretty pricey new, my LGS has a nice P226 and I think it's around $750! Thanks for any input! :ingo:

theturtle06

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 24, 2009
    Denver, CO
    Which caliber do you shoot better? The 220s I have found to shoot really well, and for some inexplicable reason, I shoot them better than I do the 226. If you prefer more capacity (only an issue in a carry gun IMO) then the 226 might be a better option. Also 9mm is cheaper to shoot, but a moot point if you reload.

In terms of function, going with the DA/SA/decocker model, they are IDENTICAL. The 226 is just a smidge larger, being a staggered mag, naturally. As large as my hands are, I prefer the 220s feel over the 226 but that is obviously a subjective thing.

Fordtough25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.1%
    110   1   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Jefferson County
    I shoot both calibers fairly well, it's not going to be a main carry choice, maybe an off and on OC choice. I've got big handguns so not too worried about size being a problem. I for sure want one with the decocker, good tip!

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    I have a P226 Elite and if it were not for my Para Companion LDA the Sig would definitely be my EDC. I have the .40 S&W, but the recoil is very manageable and the trigger is awesome. So far, I am not a big fan of the factory sights, but I'm still trying to figure them out. The slide release, decocker, and magazine release are all in the perfect position for my hands and makes operating the gun very intuitive. You may find the weight similar to that of your 1911's. Overall, I find the Sig to be a very enjoyable gun to shoot.

RichardR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2010
    My EDC is a Sig P226R DAK 9mm, fantastic handgun, easily one of my all-time-favorites.

rdg

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jan 10, 2011
    Fishers
    What is different about the Blackwater edition? I have seen the Tacops edition and their capacity to hold 20 +1 is crazy (9mm)!

Fordtough25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.1%
    110   1   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Jefferson County
    I have a P226 Elite and if it were not for my Para Companion LDA the Sig would definitely be my EDC. I have the .40 S&W, but the recoil is very manageable and the trigger is awesome. So far, I am not a big fan of the factory sights, but I'm still trying to figure them out. The slide release, decocker, and magazine release are all in the perfect position for my hands and makes operating the gun very intuitive. You may find the weight similar to that of your 1911's. Overall, I find the Sig to be a very enjoyable gun to shoot.

Thanks for the input Que, appreciate it. I like the looks of the P226 at my LGS, I plan on holding it soon. What's the differences in the models everyone? Finish, sights, capacity? Thanks all

ryan3030

Master
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    Indy
    Can't go wrong with a sig. Reliability on par with Glock (or better) and super ergonomic.

I'm biased though as I have 3 sigs - 1911R Tactical, P229, and SP2022. The trigger on the 229/226 platform really surprised me with how crisp and light it is in SA mode.

theturtle06

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 24, 2009
    Denver, CO
    Sounds nice, what does the DAK mean? Thanks

DAK is a proprietary trigger system from Sig. It is a double action only trigger with two distinct reset points. The first reset point is about halfway through the full travel of the trigger outwards after firing. Pulling the trigger from this point results in about a 8-9lb trigger pull. If you let the trigger the full distance out, you get a lighter, probably 5-6lb trigger pull, but a longer trigger travel.

After checking Sig's site, the TacOps 9mm appears to be the Blackwater p226 just without the Blackwater markings. As you can imagine, Sig didn't want to attach their name to the tarnished reputation of Blackwater after their fiascoes in the middle east.

lonehoosier

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    NWI
    I am also looking at my first sig p226 or a p229. My EDC is a Glock 19. I could not beleave how much heavyier the sig was. Thank you Que for letting me check out your p226 again.

mrfjones

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 5, 2010
    Chico
    I have a super capacity tactical 226 and I love it. it is my edc, but i went with flush fit 18 round mags for it.

I really like the fiber optic front sight as well.

Rob377

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    DT
    Sigs are great guns. A 226ST is my IDPA/Daily carry gun. It has the Sig action enhancement package, the short reset trigger, and a few other mods, and the trigger is as good as my worked over CZ Shadow. Slightly heavier, but slightly smoother too.

Sig has about a million different editions of the 226 with different options packages. Here's a quick menu of options:
    -Alloy or stainless frame
    -Nitron coated or stainless in the white slide
    -Beavertail frame or traditional
    -Short reset trigger (aka SRT, this makes the reset point quite a bit shorter than a non-SRT)
    -short trigger (this trigger is thinner front to back than the standard trigger by about .25" or so, makes it easier for non gorilla handed folks)
    -E2 package (thinner grips with a shorter reach, combined with a "short trigger" not to ne confused with SRT
    -aluminum, plastic, wood, or G10 grips (easily swapped out, but the Al and G10 grips run about $100-120 to add on aftermarket)
    -Front cocking serrations
    -threaded barrels
    -magwell forming grips
    -rail or not

Think of any given combination of options you want, and they probably make one.

P226

Beavertail ally frame, short trigger, AL grips, (SRT, but you can't see it obviously) and front cocking serrations
    P226-Dark-Elite-detail-L.jpg

standard shape frame in Nitron coated stainless, standard trigger, hogue rubber grips, no front cocking serrations
    226-SBSS-Detail-L.jpg

Last edited:

Fordtough25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.1%
    110   1   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Jefferson County
    Wowzers, I will have to play with my LGS example this week sometime and see what it's. I was thinking hard about getting another XDM but those Sig's look nice! Anybody out there shoot a P220 much?

Rob377

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    DT
    As far as how they shoot, here's my $.02 (worth exactly what you paid for it)

Out of the box, the DA will be long and quite heavy. Sig says 10lbs, I think they're being optimistic in most cases.

Non SRT equipped guns will have a very long reset that invites short-stroking if you're trying to shoot quickly.

That said, the trigger can be quite nice. After a basic action job or a few thousands rounds, it'll smooth out. It'll still be heavy on both DA and SA, but the latter will be crisper than any plastic gun out there. Overtravel is present, but minimal. A decent trigger job will go a long way, but the design will make it very hard to get under 8/4lbs and be reliable. It can be done, but be prepared to spend big money with gray guns to get it.

Some people complain about "high bore axis" making it slow for follow up shots. I say horse-puckey to that. My hits n' splits are the same with the Sig as with my low bore axis CZ or an M&P, according to the timer. I used to believe the bore-axis hype myself, but have since learned that it's one of those things that sound plausible but just don't actually pan out in actual experience. If you can shoot a .15 split with a "low bore axis" gun, you can do it with a Sig.

The P226 is quite accurate from a mechanical standpoint. From a rest, I'd wager it'd do better than just about any sub-$1000 service pistol out there, except maybe a few nicer 1911s.

They're dead-nuts reliable. Along with the Beretta, they passed the XM9 torture test. If it weren't for the magazines being a few cents more expensive (and according to rumor, some political string pulling on behalf of beretta), then the Sig P226 would have been the M9. A few units managed to procure the 226 anyway.

One thing to note is that the slide catch placement take some getting used to. It's right where you expect a safety to be, and people coming from 1911s or Glocks where a high thumb grip is the norm will find their strong hand riding the catch. This causes the slide to not lock back after the last round in a mag, or, if your high thumb isn't quite so high, it pushes up on the catch and causes it to lock back before it should.

Once you get the grip right, the slide catch placement is really nice for slide lock reloads, assuming you use the slide catch lever to drop the slide instead of the slingshot or hand over power rack or whatever the tacticool technique du jour is.

Top Bottom