Thinking about a Sig, input requested...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RichardR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2010
    DAK is a proprietary trigger system from Sig. It is a double action only trigger with two distinct reset points. The first reset point is about halfway through the full travel of the trigger outwards after firing. Pulling the trigger from this point results in about a 8-9lb trigger pull. If you let the trigger the full distance out, you get a lighter, probably 5-6lb trigger pull, but a longer trigger travel.

Turtle is right on target with his description.

However it doesn't describe how phenomenally smooth & consistent Sig's DAK trigger system is, I think that the best comparison I can give would be to that of a finely tuned Colt Python trigger.

bullet

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    Seymour
    Thanks for asking the quesion Ford. I've also consider getting a Sig. I'm leaning towards the 226 at this time.

Would anyone know how the 226 compare to the USP in size and weight?

ryan3030

Master
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    Indy
    Whatever you do, don't look at the Platinum Elite, you'll have to have one!

a64733d13035d7782c685a_m.jpg

Sorry :):

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers

Rob377

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    DT
    Or do even more damage to your wallet and pick up an X-Five...
    rockhopper46038, on Flickr

...and then, as Rob377 says, send it out to Bruce at Gray Guns to spend the rest of your second mortgage proceeds....

You are a very bad man, throwing that temptation out there. I'd do some things I wouldn't be very proud of for an X5 All-around or tactical, and I'd do them twice for a Level 1.

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    I've got a Sig P226 Platinum Elite, rebarreled it to 357sig.

Let me just say this, sig's quality has consistently went downhill and I would advise you pick up one used, or the most basic model.

Even though mine says "custom shop" on the slide, I had to do a lot of "custom work" to get it feeling the way I wanted.

ejm874

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 3, 2009
    NWI/Indy
    Wowzers, I will have to play with my LGS example this week sometime and see what it's. I was thinking hard about getting another XDM but those Sig's look nice! Anybody out there shoot a P220 much?

I've shot one a couple times. My father purchased one from a Conservation Officer who bought it a few years back when they were issued new ones. It's been a while since I shot it, but my dad's only complaint is the holster wear, which of course it had when he got it. That's his way of saying he loves it.

turnandshoot4

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 29, 2008
    Kouts
    I am a Sig fan. I have had a red box 226 and upgraded to the X-5 line. Here are my thoughts on the Sigs I've owned.

226 CPO 9mm-Great all around gun. Eats everything. Really accurate. Slide release sits under my thumb. Looooooong trigger reset. Absolutely worth more than $500.

229 Elite 9mm-Inaccurate. Heavy. SRT trigger was nice. Rosewood grips were fat. I mean really, really fat. I have a big mit and long fingers and this thing was uncomfortable. Not even worth the $960 I paid for it.

220 Sport- This thing is a beast of it's own. Good trigger with a surpising (everytime for me) break. Comp keeps muzzle down. It feels wider than a single stack which is good for me. Very hard to find and a crowd pleaser. Worth every bit of the $1,050 I paid for it. At the very least as a collectors piece.

250c 9mm DAO- This is my car gun. Holsters were hard to come by so I made my own. Aftermarket is non existent. Trigger is GREAT for a DAO. Sights are nice and bright anytime. Grip is GRIPPY. Mine has dead skin all over the grip from constant handling because it takes a layer off. Absolutely worth the $400 I paid for it new.

X-5 all around .40-This is a thing of beauty. Slide is like butter. Sights are nice and big. Trigger is amazing. DA pull isn't as good as the 250. SA pull is A-M-A-Z-I-N-G. The gun is heavy. Recoil is nothing for a .40. It is REALLY nothing when I swap my 9mm barrel in it. I have had 2 FTE issues. That may not be many but these came in the middle of a match. VERY frustrating! I have had it out since and no stoppages of any kind. It might be I was running a 9mm barrel in a .40 slide. Who knows. My hand sits on the slide release. Stupid accurate. I mean, really, really stupid accurate. Capacity is strangely very low for such a large framed handgun.

X-5 competition 9mm- Same as the above with a couple of differences. SAO trigger is awesome with a very short reset. Magwell is huge and easy to hit. This one actually FEELS higher quality. The fit is better. Totally different slide release issue here. It is hard as heck to hit! External 1911 style saftey is really nice. My last issue is the mag release. I used it for a steel match and couldn't figure out why my mags kept dropping out of the gun. My support hand was squeezing tighter as I shot and I was hitting the mag release! Argh! So no mag release for me. The ball of my hand sits on it. It is still an awesome collection piece and accurate range toy.

Best hangun Sig ever came out with IMHO? The P228.

.22 conversion is a must. So is a .22 suppressor from Front Toward Enemy! I shoot about 100 9mm loads and 200 .22 everytime I go to the range no matter what I am working on (carbine, shotgun, or breaking in something else) to keep my fundamentals up. The mags for the .22 kit can be modded to take 13 rounds reliably. Mags are plastic and stupid expensive however.

Here is my humble collection of Sigs. ;)

DSC_0338.jpg

DSC_0632.jpg

IMG_1385.jpg

DSC_0782.jpg

Fordtough25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.1%
    110   1   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Jefferson County
    Wow nice guns here guys, very nice! I priced that P226 at my LGS today, I was mistakin it's $850. :n00b: I don't plan on spending that much for something that doesn't fill a big void in my stuff. Wow. Nice looking piece though, I will keep my eyes on the used market for several reasons now. :yesway:

Rob377

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    DT
    I...
    Here is my humble collection of Sigs. ;)

Humble Collection? Showoff! :laugh: That's an amazing collection except for that plastic thing! (I kid, I kid) :D

That all-around is the only gun that is would make me consider selling off the Shadow to buy. Get it in 40, get the 9 conversion and a 357 Sig barrel. That very idea has floated through my warped mind about a dozen times in the last week or so.

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    Hi there, im new to this forum but not new to sigs, i was checking out some threads and this one caught my attention. I have owned 4 sigs and still own 3 of them. The one i got rid of was a GSR 1911 I traded for my P220 and ive never looked back (not to step on any toes but i just dont care for SAO pistols.) All of them have been awesomely accurate and 100% reliable. To the guy who said that the quality has gone downhill i respectfully dissagree. My newest one is a P226 extreme in .40 and i also have one of the legendary P228s, the only thing close to a knock that i can say is that my P220 came with a plastic guide rod, but thats easily fixed with a stainless steel one i got from topgun supply for about $25. Between the P228 and the P226 the only difference i can tell is the size, quality fit and finish are all top knotch. the P226 i have came with the SRT trigger and it truely is amazing, and one thing i think is worth mentioning is that of all of the other guns i own Sig Sauer is the only company that called me to let me know that my warranty had been activated and told me thanks for buying one of thier products. Customer service is everything trust me on that. So at least imho when you buy a Sig you not only get a gun you can trust, you get a company that stands proudly behind thier product.

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    Speaking of X-5's, I just got the call today from Grayguns; my X-5 All-Around that was getting the full-on "special sauce" treatment at Bruce's secret volcano lair is on it's way back to me today, along with one of my P228's that went in for his reduced reset carry gun action package and a couple of other goodies. Unfortunately, I no longer have any excuses for stinking up FNS!

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    I had the SigPro once though and hated it.[/QUOTE]

I will agree with that. The SigPro or the SP2022 is the notable exception to the otherwise great lineup of Sig pistols.

Top Bottom