• ...and so much more!
  • Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    Has this never been thought of before? Surely I'm not the first to suggest it. Perhaps we need a new thread to discuss it?

The only swap meets or talk of one that I've ever seen since I've been a member of the community is the ones that profire arms used to have in the lot behind his store. The one I went to was dope! That's good for you old timers :):
    I don't think those were official ingo events but most of the people set up if not all were ingo members and a lot of the attendees too.
    It was fun and lots of great deals

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    The only swap meets or talk of one that I've ever seen since I've been a member of the community is the ones that profire arms used to have in the lot behind his store. The one I went to was dope! That's good for you old timers :):
    I don't think those were official ingo events but most of the people set up if not all were ingo members and a lot of the attendees too.
    It was fun and lots of great deals
    I heard there were ones with trailers full of machine guns?;)

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    If you do set up, ensure that you have your gun show BINGO card at ready!

12512797_10153503716909825_1187597757213184580_n.jpg

shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    I’ll be there on Sunday selling friends of the nra gunapaloza tickets. Hey snorko stop buy and buy 1 or 4!
    i need help selling mine!

STEEL CORE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Fishers
    I used to do it back in the day at the 1500 when it was worth it, and Holt Road, most times you make your table rate, sometimes not.
    Most times I made $$$

I too have enough crap to run a table or two some day.

protouraero

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 22, 2009
    Chesterton, IN
    I have set up at the Dunes show for the last 4 years or so, and my wife and I enjoy it. Too bad due to renovations of the fair grounds the next show isn't until Sept of 2019.

gundawg

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2016
    Cedar Lake
    I scanned the thread and there is a lot of good info here. I've been going to shows for many years, mostly in NW IN but I've been all over the state and NE IL, even went to the big show in Tulsa a few times with dealer friends and set up myself there a couple of times. Up until a year or so ago I did the Valpo show twice a year selling gun books from my metastasizing collection.

Tables go from $35 at small shows to whatever they're getting at the 1500 now for a 3 day show. It really helps to have a friend along as a helper or sharing tables. That way you can take a bathroom break or wander around and stretch your legs without leaving your table unattended. For a big expensive table show like the 1500 it really pays to have a friend and/or share tables, you save plenty on the admission fees, have a base of operations and can take turns wandering and shopping.

For setting up you'll need covers for the tables, sheets or bedspreads are good. Light colors are not good, they get dirty and look like Hell in short order. Red was my choice but any dark color works. Also a cheap tarp or two to cover your tables overnight. Get there plenty early to set up; it always takes longer than you think it will. If you're done before the show begins you can wander around and maybe score a deal early.

Price everything beforehand. Price stuff to move but remember gun show customers like to dicker so give yourself a little room to maneuver. I used to tell people with just one book in their hand who wanted a deal that I could do better if they bought more than one book. The one they choose first may be something you don't have much margin on but the extra book or item they select may be something where you have more room to bargain. Identify stuff like magazines, holsters, etc. by application. Easy off stickers that don't leave crap on the stuff and fine point marker should go along. A small calculator can be useful. Also take a bunch of plastic grocery bags to give to customers to carry purchases. Have a note pad for keeping track of your sales and giving receipts. If you're going to sell guns you'll want to get the purchaser's info for your own protection. If you're on the scout for purchases make a couple of small signs for your table that say "I buy guns" or whatever it is you're looking for. I used 3x5 or 5x7 cards for that.

I found a high director's style chair made it a lot less tiresome to get up and down. Take one if you have one. Borrow your neighbors if necessary. It makes a BIG difference. If you're going to sit on a hard show chair a stadium pad or a cushion is a comfort. Be neat but wear comfortable clothes and comfortable shoes.

Don't get too many tables. One for guns and one for odds and ends is probably plenty. If no guns, one is probably plenty unless you have a LOT of stuff. You can always keep some stuff in reserve to refill the table if you're selling a lot of stuff.

Take a thermos and a cooler with drinks, snacks and even lunch. Show food vendor offerings are hit and miss.

Smile at people, say hello and chat them up. Nobody wants to deal with a sourpuss, so enjoy yourself.

I really enjoyed doing shows, especially the Valpo show. I just got to the point that humping over half a ton of books in and out was just too much.

I'm sure I'm forgetting some stuff. If I remember something worthwhile I'll post again.

gundawg

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2016
    Cedar Lake
    I have set up at the Dunes show for the last 4 years or so, and my wife and I enjoy it. Too bad due to renovations of the fair grounds the next show isn't until Sept of 2019.

Yeah, I'm going to miss going to Valpo for a year even if now I don't set up. Best show in NW IN. I still go and sit with the guys that were my neighbors and help them out. It's nice to be able to spend more time browsing.

I think the next show will actually be in October 2019 instead of the usual September fall show date.

Top Bottom