• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    Ahhh, I miss the Gun Room.... we found out it closed on a Sat. the guys there told us it was staying a gun shop and range.... WHAT LIARS !!!

Anyhow, I always seem to go back to a G19 to carry, or one of my 1911s...?

I was there one time and the guy must have been reloading or doing something with gunpowder and he was smoking a cigarette. Well he proceeds to set the burning cigarette in an ashtray on the counter and POOF, a big flash and cloud of smoke and sparkles filled the air. He looked at it and shrugged his shoulders and went back to what he was doing. :rolleyes:

Carried the G33 around in a nice Bianchi 100 IWB holster today while running errands. I found myself checking gun/holster every two minutes. Probably just a mental block or something. I prefer my 1911 or Sigs. ;)

Joeyidgaf

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Indiana
    I got rid of my Glocks a while ago. It was a tough decision, but I'm happy with my xdm. Also, if you ever change your mind, just get another Glock

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    Just keep your Glocks and carry something else.

That's pretty much what I do now. I have carried the G33 the last couple of days though. I'd rather just sell em and buy something I like better and would use more. Thanks for all the input and for not turning this thread into a Hater thread. :yesway: ;)

thompal

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 27, 2008
    Beech Grove
    Biggest difference is 1911 needs about $2k in custom work to be reliable... now the Glock goes bang everytime!

Yeah, those dang things never would fire in WWI, WWII, Korea, or Vietnam. People for 100 years have been complaining what a piece of junk they are.

That's why they were such a short-lived service weapon.

bshepp53

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    l'm a 1911 Guy

I love my 1911's. I own the in .45's and 10mm. They are all high end pistols and everyday day carry puts a lot of ware on a pistol. That's why I bought two Glocks G20 and 29 because they are less expensive and very reliable, and will take the wear of everyday carry. When carring a Glock it is a draw and shoot pistol, unlike 1911's with a thumb safety. But keep in mind one major gun safety " keep you finger off the tiger until ready to shoot". This will make carring any pistol safe and give you the confident you need.

Hoosier9

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    Yeah, those dang things never would fire in WWI, WWII, Korea, or Vietnam. People for 100 years have been complaining what a piece of junk they are.

That's why they were such a short-lived service weapon.

Kind of off track for the thread, but the reason that service 1911's functioned reasonably well was the loose tolerances and the use of only ball ammo. When deviating from John Browning's original design, they do suffer in reliability. (Tightening tolerances, shortening barrels, using JHP ammo, etc.)

Also, just about everyone makes a "1911" style pistol nowadays, so quality runs the gamut from dismal to awesome. Reliability problems in some of these makes is no secret. And you usually do have to pay a good deal more money for a fully reliable 1911 that will feed defensive ammo, vs. other designs.

:twocents:

dominicandemon

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 26, 2011
    St. Augustine, Florida
    I am new to the handgun world and I went the XDm route. Although it doesn't have the selectable safety, it does have a grip safety. I would not feel comfortable at all, if the only safety was pulling the trigger.

45pro

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 21, 2009
    Plymouth
    I just recently started carrying, and my gun (Walther PPS 9mm) is striker fired and almost identical to the Glock. I started out carrying in condition 3 around the house, but my first time out in public I carried condition 1. I was very nervous at first, but a look at solid facts put me at ease. I have yet to see a report where a Glock or similar gun has fired when the trigger has not been pulled. There are always stories of guns being dropped and going off, but come on... :twocents:

I suppose, now that I think of it, a hammer would be nice in the event of a failure to fire, but I think the tap-rack drill is more preferable in reality. I don't want to spend that time re-cocking the hammer to have the same dud round fail again, especially when my life is in jeopardy.

I am super diligent when re-holstering, but I only really have my gun out of leather when at the range or cleaning. But like others have said, you should always treat every gun like it were one of those "evil" Glock 19s that just fires bullets at random, especially when the muzzle sweeps innocent people or your own a**. :D

Taurus makes the PT145 that is setup SA/DA. Its a single action trigger pull, and if the round does not fire, you can pull the trigger again and it will try it again in double action. This is one of the reasons i carry it. Although i have about 1500 rounds thru it so far and have never had to test it out other than dry firing it.

Top Bottom