• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    Okay...I will play stupid. What are the problems associated with carrying a loaded Glock? I've never owned one or shot one. I have been considering on and off of getting a 19, but if there are "tricks" to carrying it, I'm not so sure I want to go down that avenue. What are the differences between a 1911 and a Glock?

Thankfully there are no tricks to carrying a Glock or at least any more so than any other gun. All safeties on the Glock (there are 3 I believe) are engaged at all times, when you pull the trigger it disengages the safeties, hence the term "Safe Action" The Glock simply cannot fire unless all 3 safeties are disengaged and they can only be disengaged by pulling the trigger. They simply do not just 'go off'.

Some people believe that the less you have to do to make a gun work the better it will be in a high-stress situation. If all you have to do is draw the weapon and pull the trigger, you are better than having to draw the weapon, rack the slide or flip a safety off...What convinced me to carry hot is just the simple notion of possibly being attacked by a dog...how am I going to draw my gun, rack the slide and defend myself if I'm using my off hand to fend off the dog.

The biggest safety is your brain and you have to trust the design. No number of engineers showing hundreds of hours of footage proving the design is 100% reliable and 100% safe will change the minds of some people. There is nothing wrong with that, I'm that way with flying. No matter how many people tell me it is perfectly safe I'm not flying. The only way I'm getting killing in an airplane accident is if one falls out of the sky and lands on me!

Last edited:

686 Shooter

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    Huntington County
    And I'm not knocking 1911s they are great guns... just antiquated.
    I'm not trying to argue the point, but I will go out on a limb and say the 1911 is the most copied handgun made to date. And is still going strong after 100 years, there never seems to be and end to someone bringing out a new variation to the 1911.

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    Lots of good replies and thanks for your input. I'm not slamming Glocks per se it's just that they are the only striker fired guns that I own. As far as comparing them to a revolver I'd have to disagree, unless you carried the revolver cocked that is. I really do like shooting the Glocks I just like having a hammer and safety. None of my 1911s have "$2k" worth of work done to them and they are all reliable. A hammer can easily be cocked in a SA or the trigger pulled again in a DA gun for a second strike on a misfire. My Sigs are all bone stock, except maybe for grips, sights and a bit of grip tape, and are all 100% reliable. The P7, well that is probably the safest pistol ever made and will only fire with concentrated effort. I love it but it's a bit heavy for EDC and only being an 8 shot 9mm. I have plenty of revolvers as well and sometimes carry them. Just bouncing some thoughts around and again not slamming Glocks. Might want to consolidate calibers and styles of carry weapons. Thanks again for all the input and insight. :yesway:

byggpoppa

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    NW Indy
    At the end of the day it always boils down to the same thing... personal preference. Doesn't matter how great a gun is or isn't... if it doesn't work for you.

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    The good thing is that you carry and want to continue to do so; this is like Army/Navy rivalry where we are all on the same side but just have different opinions of which way is better!:D

I do like the notion of consolidating your guns for concealed carry. There was a statement I wish I would have thought of that goes "The same gun in the same place" when it talks about what you carry and more importantly where you carry it. I like Glock for one of those very reasons; my smallest 9mm Glock is essentially the same gun as my largest .45 Glock. Everything is in the same place. And I wear my gun in the same place, too. Sometimes IWB other times OWB but it's always a Glock and it's always at my 4 o'clock.

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    Why not keep the Glocks and install the ny or ny+ trigger. Get the pull up closer to a da revolver ? And it's cheap

I'm not a big fan of the Glock trigger to begin with and the NY trigger is TERRIBLE. I'm not certain what to do but it looks as if some G guns might be in the classifieds soon. I just need to take some pics and determine values. Oh btw I had a manual safety put on one of my 19s a few years ago and it seemed to work pretty well. I might give the G33 some more time in the holster before I make a final decision. That gun is such a blast to shoot and is surprisingly accurate for such a small gun.

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    I'd stay away from modifying the guns especially if there is still a lingering thought of getting rid of them. Stock will sell better and appeal to a broader audience than something with even the slightest modification.

Sailor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    Okay...I will play stupid. What are the problems associated with carrying a loaded Glock? I've never owned one or shot one. I have been considering on and off of getting a 19, but if there are "tricks" to carrying it, I'm not so sure I want to go down that avenue. What are the differences between a 1911 and a Glock?

The "trick" is that you have to follow the 4 firearm safety rules at all times.

fastwally

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    Peru
    I've been thinking of getting rid of my Glocks for a while now. I remember seeing my first Glock 17 down at the Gun Room in Beech Grove back in 87'. It was the only one in the city and everyone was just gawking at it. Since then I have had every 9mm, 10mm and .45 Glock made and liked em all. I just don't feel comfortable carrying them loaded. I understand the technology and all I just like hammers and safeties. When I did carry a Glock I carried it Israeli style and although it works ok I'd prefer to carry a SA or DA/SA gun that is loaded and ready to fire. I only have 3 left anyways so I was thinking of getting rid of them and getting something I'm more comfortable with. I have a 33 .357 Sig that is awesome to shoot! Sent the slide off and had it hard chromed and a 3.5# trigger and NS installed. Also have a 20 and 29 in 10mm. They are a blast to shoot as well. Both have NS and 3.5# triggers. I loved my 19 and 26 but traded them a while back. I guess I'd shoot a 34 if I had one. Oh well I guess I just need to decide and then stick to my decision. Thanks for allowing me to vent. :dunno:

Take a hard look at the PX4 Storm SC. Been carrying it over my glocks for kinda the same reasons and love the way it shoots. I had a great BHP for sale on here about 3 months ago. :dunno:

wolfts01

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 14, 2010
    New Haven
    I just recently started carrying, and my gun (Walther PPS 9mm) is striker fired and almost identical to the Glock. I started out carrying in condition 3 around the house, but my first time out in public I carried condition 1. I was very nervous at first, but a look at solid facts put me at ease. I have yet to see a report where a Glock or similar gun has fired when the trigger has not been pulled. There are always stories of guns being dropped and going off, but come on... :twocents:

I suppose, now that I think of it, a hammer would be nice in the event of a failure to fire, but I think the tap-rack drill is more preferable in reality. I don't want to spend that time re-cocking the hammer to have the same dud round fail again, especially when my life is in jeopardy.

I am super diligent when re-holstering, but I only really have my gun out of leather when at the range or cleaning. But like others have said, you should always treat every gun like it were one of those "evil" Glock 19s that just fires bullets at random, especially when the muzzle sweeps innocent people or your own a**. :D

Lock n Load

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    146   0   0
    May 1, 2008
    FFort
    I've been thinking of getting rid of my Glocks for a while now. I remember seeing my first Glock 17 down at the Gun Room in Beech Grove back in 87'. It was the only one in the city and everyone was just gawking at it. Since then I have had every 9mm, 10mm and .45 Glock made and liked em all. I just don't feel comfortable carrying them loaded. I understand the technology and all I just like hammers and safeties. When I did carry a Glock I carried it Israeli style and although it works ok I'd prefer to carry a SA or DA/SA gun that is loaded and ready to fire. I only have 3 left anyways so I was thinking of getting rid of them and getting something I'm more comfortable with. I have a 33 .357 Sig that is awesome to shoot! Sent the slide off and had it hard chromed and a 3.5# trigger and NS installed. Also have a 20 and 29 in 10mm. They are a blast to shoot as well. Both have NS and 3.5# triggers. I loved my 19 and 26 but traded them a while back. I guess I'd shoot a 34 if I had one. Oh well I guess I just need to decide and then stick to my decision. Thanks for allowing me to vent. :dunno:

Ahhh, I miss the Gun Room.... we found out it closed on a Sat. the guys there told us it was staying a gun shop and range.... WHAT LIARS !!!

Anyhow, I always seem to go back to a G19 to carry, or one of my 1911s...?

roscott

Master
    Rating - 97.5%
    39   1   0
    Mar 1, 2009
    My personal view is that a handgun is only as safe as the holster when it comes to carry. If you're going to carry a gun with no external safety, it must be matched to an excellent holster that makes it safe when carried.

But if the guns don't work for you, it's time to get new ones. That's the beauty of the market! :D

gunman41mag

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 1, 2011
    SOUTH of YOU
    I have 4 Glocks myself and have own several others. I've never like the "lack" of safties either. I wouldn't ever get rid of the ones I have now though.

I also sometimes carry and really like the HK USP. I wish Glock would come out with a lever safety/decocker like the one on the USP's.

You can get a FRAME MOUNTED SAFETY on your GLOCK from this gunsmith Ten-Ring Precision, Inc.

hps

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 26, 2009
    I carry a G36 daily in a bulldog leather company G36 specific,owb,belt slide w/ a throat band for ease of reholstering. I just tried ON PURPOSE to make this unloaded weapon dryfire having the weapon in one hand and the holster in the other, trying in every way to make this thing dryfire and could not. I think the main thing is to have a gun specific quality holster

Last edited:
    Top Bottom