• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • billyboyr6

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Jan 28, 2010
    greenfield
    I am looking for some honest opinions here. I want to start carrying and recently purchased a handgun for personal protection but have not found a holster that was comfortable for me yet.
    I've tried inside the belt suade leather and was verry uncomfortable. I have also tried a nylon shoulder setup and didn't realy care for it either.
    I would like to Cary consealed but I'm starting to think it's not possible for a small framed person. Give me some thoughts guys. I'm 5'10 and weigh 150 lbs. And I'm wanting to carry my micro 1911. Anyone about my same size carry? And where do you carry it comfortably? Thanks guys

ATF Consumer

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 23, 2008
    South Side Indy
    Try a paddle holster carrying at 4 o'clock. If you are not opposed to OC, it is by far the most comfortable method. I have a kydex iwb holster for my Glock 27 that I carry either at 2 or 4 o'clock comfortably. I'm 150lbs and have found carrying at 3 o'clock is just too painful on the hipbone...no good way to do so without adding a ridiculous amount of padding.

Archaic_Entity

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 9, 2008
    I started carrying being 5'10 and 155lb (gained a little muscle weight, but nothing around my hips).

Anyway, Scutter's got the right of it. Pants size two inches bigger, a good thick belt, and a good holster. I'd recommend Crossbreed Holsters > Home as a good place to get the belt and holster. They're where I got mine, and it's not uncomfortable after you get used to it. Actually, I'm carrying right now... I'm so used to it that I feel naked without.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    Buy a quality gun belt, one with the kydex stiffeners. Buy pants 1 size larger. Buy a CrossBreed SuperTuck Deluxe holster.

Don't scrimp on the gun belt. There really is a difference between a belt and a gun belt. A decent one can be had at Cabela's, its called their DOUBLE DUTY belt and its pretty good. BELTMAN makes excellent gun belts, but they are pricy. Galco and some fo the holster companies also make reinforced gun belts. A reinforced gun belt distributes the weight of the gun around your body and won't allow the gun to sag in one area. You can carry a bigger/heavier gun for much longer periods with a stiff gun belt than you can with a dress belt or casual belt.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    38948_144352302249493_100000241730050_363654_535074_s.jpg
    40486_144352785582778_100000241730050_363657_5919421_s.jpg

While not quite as thin as you. As you can see, it is no problem for me to conceal two full size fighting guns. Holster on my left is a Dale Fricke Archangel. Holster on right is no name leather one that has since been replaced by a Fricke Archangel in a right handed model. As the other poster said, you need your pants sized an inch or two big and a decent belt.
    ARCHANGEL APPENDIX CARRY AIWB (Appendix Inside the Waist Band)

60Driver

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 9, 2010
    Hamilton County
    Almost exactly your size and my normal carry is 4.25 1911, IWB. Above posts hit the important points.... GOOD belt and GOOD holster. Everyone is shaped different so you may want to try as many rigs as possible, and try different positions. In my case VM2 or SS2 bewteen 3:30 and 4:30 is comfortable and conceals well under even a light untucked shirt. Good luck and safe shooting!

jclark

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    I had the same problem as you. Here is how I solved it.
    I OC.
    If I CC it's a a LCP in my pocket.

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    I just carry OWB and don't tuck my covering shirt in. I wear a wife-beater undershirt tucked in, to keep the pistol from rubbing my precious, sensitive skin.

I carry either a Browning HiPower (like today) or a Beretta 92FS. If you opt for this route, get a good belt, a good holster, get your over shirts one size larger, and you'll be good to go.

As an aside, a couple years ago I would not have opened this thread, but since I dropped from 225 down to about 185, I felt like opening it!

jojoa55

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 6, 2010
    Evansville
    Scutter and Melensdad speak true. If there is one thing i can suggest most it's the quality gun belt. I cannot tell you how much of a difference a good gun belt and a good holster make. It's honestly a night and day difference. Like most will say, dont buy a decent carry gun and carry it with a 8 dollar belt and 15 dollar holster. If your planning on carrying IWB, check out crossbreed belts and holsters as well as comp-tac belts and holsters. I carry a glock 26 daily IWB in a comptac MTAC with a comptac belt. Their belts and holsters work very well.

Last edited:

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    holster

5'11" and 195 and I've never been comfortable IWB. NHT3 has some Nighthawk holsters for sale that are seconds/blems and they're excellent quality OWB leather holsters and the price is right. I bought one for my Kimber and have become very fond of it. He has some mag pouches too.
    Plus he is a nice guy and a pleasure to deal with.:yesway:

The belt recommendations are right on the money. Wimpy belt= uncomfortable carry. 'Specially a heavy gun like a 1911.

rmabrey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 27, 2009
    5' 7" and 155# here. I use a galco stow- n-go IWB at 3 0'clock a majority of the time and I love it. But everyone seems to keep mentioning kholsters or crossbreeds lately so you should probably check into those. I cant chime in on the gun belt, but my pants do tend to sag a little to the right side so it might be something else to consider

woundedyak

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 22, 2009
    SouthSide
    I'm 5'9 150lbs with long legs and a very short torso. I use to never IWB cause the butt of the XDM would always jam into my side when ever I sat down. Plus XDM's are not a very friendly firearm to carry. Then I tried a Kholster crescent at 5 O'clock with a old school thick as hell leather belt. After a few times of wearing that setup it got pretty comfy. I'm sure if I went to SC I wouldn't even know it was there. But over all,3 out 5 times I will OWB.

DeadeyeChrista'sdad

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Feb 28, 2009
    winchester/farmland
    Some guys at the 1500s sell a bullhide belt, which last time I gave into the temptation, and bought. Best 35.00 I've spent in a while. Thick and stiff. Makes the crossbreed REALLY disappear. The guys above speak the truth. Stiff belt, good holster.

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    im 5'6" and 140 I carry a sig226 owb everyday( everyday im not stuck working in wisconson). like everyone said a good leather holster and a GOOD gun belt. Both of mine are Galco but im sitting in a hotel so I cant give you the model of the holster.

Prometheus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    6'3" and 165 here.

I've always hated IWB.

A good belt and holster means all the difference in the world. I like instructors belts. Wilderness is my favorite, but everyone makes them. Just buy a decent name.

Holster are just as important. I use bladetech paddles or galco mk5 paddles. Occasionally a serpa if I'm OC'ing in a crowded enviroment.

IWB has a cult following, but for some of us we can't stand it.

I have no issues concealing a XD, XDM, 1911 ect. with a good belt, holster and untucked shirt or unbuttoned overshirt.

This is Indiana, so I would't be so crazy about concealing. ;)

Top Bottom