• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • juggaloxjj4

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    just do an outside hip holster but make sure that you have a good belt. Im in the army so i have a really nice one size fits all belt. You can pull it tighter to make sure the holster stays in place. Im 6'1 150 so im pretty slim but im still able to carry a full sized 1911. Dont use lether belts because eventually the leather will break or split and your belt holes will be a quarter inch long.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    6', 185#
    Whenever I leave the house, I'm carrying a 5" 1911 in a Raven Concealment Systems Phantom IWB at 3:00. Wilderness Instuctor's belt also carries a Raven double mag carrier OWB at 9:00.

mconley

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 17, 2008
    Hendricks Co.
    Im a bit heaver than you at 179 but, go to a gun show if you want to try one first, but look at raven holsters, theyare a bit pricey but I LOVE MINE. I carry on the out side at my 430 to 500, with shirt untucked and all works well. Everyone is right about the belt, a good belt can make a 360 degree difference in how a gun carries. I have a 5.11 belt and works well, check the links.

Operator Belt - 1 3/4" Wide | Belts | 5.11 Tactical

Raven Concealment Systems - Holsters

aetucker1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2010
    5'10, 150 pounds? First of all, you need to gain some weight, preferably muscle weight. You're way too skinny.

well...i'm 5'11 and weigh 150...on my way to 145 actually. I have been CCing my XDm 3.8 for about 2 months no problem. I found that it really comes down to mostly what was posted before regarding pant size and a good IWB holster (i've been using crossbreed), but for me it also has to do with position of the gun. I am carrying at around 5:00. This lets the very base of the grip of the gun sit right around my spine. yes, that is pretty far back, but it is basically impossible to see...and it is a full size gun (with the exception of the barrel length)

Biohazard

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 10, 2009
    central indiana
    2 other things......

Two other things to consider (that you may have already) are that if you're new to carrying concealed it will take some time to adjust to. You're adding something new that is pressed against your hip. The more you wear it, the less it will be noticeable.

Second, having 1-2 pounds on a belt :draw: isn't really meant to be comfortable it's meant to be comforting. ;)

G_Stines

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 2, 2010
    Central Indiana
    Well from the sound of it, you are about my size. You said that you had used an IWB holster, but where did you have it? On your hip? In the small of your back? Another part of it, is what kind of holster do you have? different shapes and brands will feel more comfortable to different people. I personally prefer a leather holster over any synthetic, and I use an IWB that's at a slight tilt. Maybe try an OWB, such as good paddle or pancake holster.

Hope you find what fits you!! goodluck!

iamaclone45

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2009
    Indiana
    I bet you could conceal this handgun with a decent OWB pancake holster. I’m only about 20 lbs heavier then you and I can make a Glock 26 disappear with an OWB pancake holster with a forward cant at the 3 - 4 o’clock position.

If you can’t figure it out, then you either need to be ok with your handgun showing of start looking for something you can make disappear.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    From this thread:

https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/handguns/4717-buying_a_new_summer_carry_weapon.html

Not mentioned in this quote is that I later canted the holster one extra notch forward, which helped reduce printing considerably.

XL size cotton t-shirt, washed several times, so it's shrunk a little. Standard cargo shorts (size 36, I normally wear size 34 when not carrying IWB). Denim jeans and denim shorts seem to behave similarly. 1.25" leather gunbelt. Minotaur MTAC holster with c-clips. XD9SC carried with 10rd mag, just slightly aft of the hip bone.
    29ngw95.jpg

Twisting hard to the left
    281sj7p.jpg

Bending over hard (reaching for something on the floor, or similar to sitting at a table in a restaurant). There is a bulge, but it's mostly the shirt blousing. Slight printing still evident. Note lack of ass requiring overly-tight belt to prevent embarrassing pants anomaly.
    2rw5bvb.jpg

Shirt lifted so you can see the gun in its natural environment. Also, that is not my actual skin color. It is, in fact, a tank-top style undershirt. I don't always require it, but it helps create a buffer so the gun butt doesn't gouge as bad.
    2qnsboz.jpg

Just a size comparison between an XD9SC and a G26, both with 10rd mags.
    29dfpj8.jpg

colt45er

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 6, 2008
    Avon, IN
    I am also 5'10" 155ish. I carry my XDm IWN in a Comp-Tac Minatour M-Tac with C clips. If you don't like IWB, but still want to conceal, I would suggest something thinner than a paddle holster.

Maybe something like a raven.

billyboyr6

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Jan 28, 2010
    greenfield
    Well from the sound of it, you are about my size. You said that you had used an IWB holster, but where did you have it? On your hip? In the small of your back? Another part of it, is what kind of holster do you have? different shapes and brands will feel more comfortable to different people. I personally prefer a leather holster over any synthetic, and I use an IWB that's at a slight tilt. Maybe try an OWB, such as good paddle or pancake holster.

Hope you find what fits you!! goodluck!

Im tring to carry my new Para slim hawg which dosent weigh anything, and I have a Galco soft suade IWB holster, and have tried it at around 2 oclock and at 4:30 -5 and it just wasnt comfortable. But like many have said above it will take getting use to, and i didnt realize tthat i could ware OWB holster and still be concealed. so i will try on several setups at the 1500 this month. At least that would save me from buying a bunch on new paints LOL. I do on the otherhand need a new belt so that works out. And thanks for all the info.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    The reason it's uncomfortable is because your pants are too tight. Seriously. It's forcing the gun to gouge into your hip. Try a pant size one bigger and you'll be astonished at the difference.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    ok ill give it a try.

Take your setup (gun/belt/holster) to the mall or Walmart or something and try it in the changing room if you don't want to invest in bigger pants for the test. Bring money as you'll be buying bigger pants. :D

Until I figured out this tiny little detail, I had the same problem. Carrying a KelTec PF-9 in a suede holster was killing me. Bigger pants allowed me to carry normal-sized pistols, and half the time I forget it's there. The belt and holster are definitely things to invest in, but get the pants first. I have pants in two sizes now, some for OWB carry and bigger ones for IWB carry.

Top Bottom