• ...and so much more!
  • halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    ...because a system based on binary fractions is better? :dunno:
    I'm just a simple country boy that grew up on the standard US measurement system. I know gallon so I can figure out how much it will take and cost to fill the tank, Which wrenches and sockets I'm going to have to use, how much electric fencing to buy... etc. I don't want to know much more. My old brain is about full now.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Better? It works. There's no reason to change.

Pretty much any argument in favor of US customary measurements relies solely on, "that's the way we've always done it!"

The metric system is superior in every way, but there's a huge cost to a complete change. Even when I do measurements around the house, it's still inches for me.

Wanna get back at the shyster? HD and Menards should switch everything to metric and put a signs up explaining he's the reason for it.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    This. Metric is superior in every way as a measurement system.

The only reason not to switch is because people hate change and it'd cost a lot to change everything over.

Pretty much any argument in favor of US customary measurements relies solely on, "that's the way we've always done it!"

The metric system is superior in every way, but there's a huge cost to a complete change. Even when I do measurements around the house, it's still inches for me.

Wanna get back at the shyster? HD and Menards should switch everything to metric and put a signs up explaining he's the reason for it.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Not sure why Americans claim to be against metric. We have been using it for decades. 2L sodas, medications and vitamins by the mg, metric fasteners, faux-metric for all technology (Mb, Gb, etc...). The only things NOT metric are "generic" measurements like 1/4 burgers and gallons of gas. And for those, we still use decimals (0.25 lb).

Even funnier.... all these complaints from folks who think caliber and gauge are "normal" measurements.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Not sure why Americans claim to be against metric. We have been using it for decades. 2L sodas, medications and vitamins by the mg, metric fasteners, faux-metric for all technology (Mb, Gb, etc...). The only things NOT metric are "generic" measurements like 1/4 burgers and gallons of gas. And for those, we still use decimals (0.25 lb).

Even funnier.... all these complaints from folks who think caliber and gauge are "normal" measurements.

Those are examples, not of Americans accepting the metric system, but of them living in the reality of what has been foisted upon us by the New World Order in concert with the Bilderberg Group and the French.

historian

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    SD by residency, Hoosier by heart
    Metric is cold and scientific. English measurements are more human.

Inch=about the distance from your knuckle to tip of thumb
    Foot=about the length of your foot
    Fahrenheit=human temperatures (see here: https://xkcd.com/1643/ and this:
    KB3nyXX.jpg
    )

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Can we sue for "self tapping" screws that wouldn't tap into a marshmallow?

I built a squirrel baffle recently. Using stove pipe, self tapping screws, a pipe end cap, and some angle brackets. The stove pipe required me to use a chisel to open up the tongue so the groove could fit, the end cap popped into two pieces when I went to cut a slit into it, and the self tapping screws needed either pilot holes or judicious use of cursing and tongue-held-just-right.

I wouldn't mind suing over those pointed pieces of tin foil they pass off as "nails" now, too. Remember when nails were made in the US out of actual metal?

Top Bottom