• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 1032JBT

LEO and PROUD of it.......even if others aren't
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    Noblesville
    Well to talk to him you wouldn't know that anything even happened to him. I know he knows how lucky he is but I'm not sure the situation has completely set in yet.

1032JBT

LEO and PROUD of it.......even if others aren't
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    Noblesville
    Glad to hear he is being released. Look forward to hearing him tell his story on INGO.

Not sure he will do that since he was upset when he found out how many people had already heard. News travels fast through the grapevine. For now lets just pray for a speedy recovery...........for him and the others that were there.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    I just found out he is getting released from the hopsital as I type this. Thank you for all the prayers.

And there are those that say it doesn't work. ;) Please keep us posted as to his recovery and give him our best.

^^^ THIS!

Please convey to Chris my best wishes for a speedy recovery, whatever happened. If he wants to share details, that's up to him.

He will be in my prayers.

Blessings,
    Bill

fpdshooter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Fishers
    Guys and gals - First off I'd like to thank each and every one of you for your thoughts and prayers. It truely means a lot to me and my wife.

Secondly for those that don't know, I was on the recieving end of a training "incident"...basically, I got shot. :ar15::D

Here is what I had typed up on another forum. My right arm is immobilized due to the injury and swelling, so it takes me a long time to type anything left handed. For my ease, I am going to cut and paste. Pics will follow shortly.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

This past week, I was teaching an instructor level class at our state LE academy. I am one of the instructor cadre for the patrol rifle instructor school. I have been teaching this since '02. This is a week long school. On Friday after the qual course, we bring an old car out on the rnage and let the students shoot the car with their various rounds to show them how little cover a car actually provides. This is done in a very controlled manner with one shooter at a time.

After the students got done, the lead instructor (who recently retired after 44 years of LE work) brought out a "toy"... a belt fed M1919 chambered in 8mm. This had been a very good class, so to reward them we were going to have a bit of fun with them and light up the car with about 150 rnds of 8mm. Simply put, it was awesome! That car was decimated!

After the shooting was done, the instructor removed all the ammo from the gun, racked the bolt to clear it, and opened up the top cover. We went downrange and inspected the damage. Pics to follow in a few days.

About 20 minutes later, I was helping the instructor pick up his brass, belt links, and tear the gun down. We had everything torn down and the gun was setting on the table. If you imagine a picnic table longways facing downrange, I was sitting on one end ,and the gun barrel was about 6-8 inches behind me. I was facing downrange with my elbow propped up on a toolbox. The instructor was putting the belt fed back into a case when I heard a loud BOOM and felt all the gas pressure around me. I immediately jumped up and looked around to make sure everyone was ok. There were about 4 guys standing around all looking at me with those big wide "what the **** just happened?" look. About that time I felt something wet running down my arm. I had one of the other instructors remove my jacket. As he started to pull my sleeve off he yelled "Holy ****! You've got a hole in your sleeve!"

I remember thinking "Frack Frack Frack!" mainly because I was supposed to go golfing next week with my dad, brother, and uncle. The next thought was, "Well, I guess I probably won't get to go fishing in Canada this year either"
    24.gif
    The strange things that go through your mind!

As soon as they removed my jacket, I could feel the blood running down my arm. I remember pointing at one of the guys and telling him to go to my car and get my pack. There were battle dressings, combat gauze, and tourniquets in there. I had no idea how bad it was, so I was preparing for the worst.

It just so happened that there was an officer from Hobart (IN) PD there who was a medic in the military standing just a few feet away. He applied the dressings and started taking pulse, etc... Looking around, I saw about 30 guys staring back at me. Most of them did not look good! Pale white faces and a couple of guys had the cold sweats, not really what I wanted to see!

To try to lighten things up I started jokung with them to try to calm everyone down. When I get put under heavy stress humor is some sort coping mechasim I guess. The medic attending to me told me that I was much more calm after getting shot than he was. I replied, "Yea but you got shot by a bad guy, I was shot by a buddy!"
    24.gif

Long story short, I was transported to the hospital. X-rays show the bullet missed the bone. Basically it was a through and through. The round entered at about my elbow and exited out my forearm.

While I'm not exactly a religous or spiritual man, there is no doubt that my Protector was watching over me. If the round had hit a few millimeters down or left, I probably would have lost my arm...an inch and a half to the right and it would have missed me all together.

At this point, this happened almost exactly 24 hrs ago. My right arm is swollen to beat hell and bruised, but oddly enough it really doesn't hurt! Is that normal? Should I be concerned?

I know I'll be in a sling for the next 2 weeks per Dr.'s orders. I have an appointment with an orthopedic doctor on Tuesday so hopefully I'll know more by then.

My buddies have been great! More phone calls, emails, and visits than I can count so far...which is nice because my wife does not do well with blood or wounds, so it was nice to have some help changing my dressings last night.

Learn from this! I have been handling firearms professionally for 17 years as a cop. The guy that shot me, close to 50 years. He was operating a weapon system that he was not as famaliar with was maybe he should have been. I trusted him more than I should have in that particular situation. I did not give the weapon as much respect as I should have and assumed that he had cleared it when the bolt was racked and the top cover opened. Obviously if I had thought for an instant that the gun was still hot I would not have been sitting in front of it!

One final irony here, as part of the class I was going to teach a block on gunshot wound treatment but it got pushed back because we had run long on a few other drills! Besides I'm not the first member of my family to get shot with an 8mm round! My Grandmother's brother Walt took a round in WWII about 60 years ago!

Chris

fpdshooter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Fishers
    As promised, here are a few pictures!

Here is the culprit involved. This was taken about 20 minutes prior to the shooting. Notice top cover is up and what I thought was the bolt in the rear position - I have since learned that there is no bolt hold open device on these.

dscn1880v.jpg

dscn1879d.jpg

Here is an 8mm round next to a relativly puny 5.56 XM193.

dscn1889.jpg

Two holes in my sleeve. The ***** here is that this is the jacket I wore all over Ireland. Silly I know, but I loved that jacket.

dscn1888g.jpg

Finally, the wound. The round entered from behind me and exited out the side of my forearm. These were taken about 30 hours after the fact. There was one picture taken by one of the EMT's who trsnsported me, but I'm still trying to track him down.

Notice the small curved red mark next to the entrance wound...I have no idea what that is! I'm hoping the doctor on Tuesday can tell me what it is. Unfortunately I can't twist my aem around to see it and my wife does not do well with wounds so she won't look at it.
    icon_rolleyes.gif

dscn1885.jpg

dscn1885r.jpg

dscn1886d.jpg

dscn1883.jpg

dscn1882e.jpg

As you can see, the ER Dr. put one stitch in each of the wounds. He really did a nice job. The exit wound was pretty ragged. He got a mirror and held it up for me to see. UGLY!

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    [Monty Python]
    It's only a flesh wound.
    [/Monty Python]

:D

I am not clear on exactly what happened just prior to the shot. I gather there was still a round in the chamber somehow despite everyone thinking the gun had been cleared? Did the instructor pull the trigger as he was putting the gun away, or did something mechanical set the gun off without human interaction? How is the instructor dealing with the aftermath of all this?

You are an extremely lucky guy! Best wishes for a speedy recovery.

Top Bottom