• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 96firephoenix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 15, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    best wishes for a speedy recovery! that wound looks pretty intense, but a good job by the MD who fixed you up.

speaking from experience with heavy trauma (not a gunshot, a lawnmower ate a half inch of my big toe) the wound doesn't hurt until it sinks in that you JUST GOT SHOT. I felt fine until I realized that a chunk of my foot was missing. then the pain kicked in. another part of the lack of pain is that you simply don't have that many nerves there (just covered this in A+P) and the ones that you do have were cauterized/severed by the bullet. once the nerves start to reconnect, you will get a lot of itching and burning sensation, or you won't have any feeling in that portion of your arm (trust me, you'll hope for the latter). I'm not a doctor, but the red curved line is probably a blood vessel that burst and boiled on impact with a burning hot bullet. if you are really concerned about it, talk to your Dr. at a follow-up, but I think it will go away within a week or so.

Mokkie

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 7, 2010
    I'm no Dr. but it appears that is a burn hot lead struck your arm. Keep a eye on the wound dont let it get infected. Will keep praying for a good outcome.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2010
    Prayers and best wishes for a speedy recovery.

Speaking from experience, keep those wounds covered constantly so they stay moist and avoid scab formation. That will speed healing and lessen scar formation.

theweakerbrother

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 28, 2009
    Bartholomew County, IN
    I know you said you aren't a religious man but I would highly consider getting a St. Michael tattoo after this incident... maybe around the entrance/exit wound... after all, he is also the patron saint of LEO. ;)

paddling_man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Jul 17, 2008
    Fishers
    Saw the pictures, heard the story and am GRATEFUL you are doing well. As you said, it could have been much, much worse depending on just where on that table you parked it.

Get well soon!

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Wow man. Sorry I missed the thread a couple days ago. Prayers sent anyway. Looks like you got real lucky though. The good thing is those students learned some very valuable lessons that day as I'm sure you did also. You were lucky in more ways than one I guess. :)

My wife who is a former CNA said that chances are the bullet severed the nerves and with that in mind, being a close range round, it was HOT so it probably also burnt them closed as well. Either that or you're still in shock to a degree and the pain will hit soon enough.

I'm just glad to hear that you are alright and here to tell the story. That's the MOST important thing of all.

Thanks for the pics too. It does look like you all had a lot of fun before the incident.

I just want to ask one question though. Did this happen at ILEA here in Plainfield? If so, do you guys usually run full auto out there? Obviously not the belt fed 8mm... :): ...but M4's and the like?

I can hear their range action from my house and that's why I ask. Sometimes it sounds like WWIII over there. :D

fpdshooter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Fishers
    Yea we run some full auto's...just not very often. Probably what you are hearin is 10-20 shooters doing rapid fire drills or double taps...something along those lines.

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Yea we run some full auto's...just not very often. Probably what you are hearin is 10-20 shooters doing rapid fire drills or double taps...something along those lines.

Oh I hear both. It's really fun to listen to.

My dad said it used to be open to the public but they stopped doing that. I really wish they would reopen it. They could make a killing as it would be the only place that's not a club within 50 miles that would allow rifle. :D

Either way. I'm just glad you're ok. Get some rest. I'm sure you need it.

Panama

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Jul 13, 2008
    Racing Capital
    Thanks for sharing the details, and thank God you will be able to make a speedy recovery.
    That all too easily could have been so much worse!

Hearing how these things can happen to ANYONE, will hopefully make us all safer.

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    The pictures finally loaded...

Dude, you got shot by that.

dscn1889.jpg

And that's all the damage you endured???

dscn1883.jpg

You are one LUCKY SOB.

And I'm glad to here it.:ingo:

(BTW, if I were you, I'd go buy some lottery tickets)

Muddy_Ford

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2009
    Hartford City
    Wow! Glad to hear that you are ok. Prayer on the way for a speedy recovery and that you don't have to miss your Canadian fishing trip.

I second the motion for buying a few lotto tickets too.:D

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    [Monty Python]
    It's only a flesh wound.
    [/Monty Python]

:D

I am not clear on exactly what happened just prior to the shot. I gather there was still a round in the chamber somehow despite everyone thinking the gun had been cleared? Did the instructor pull the trigger as he was putting the gun away, or did something mechanical set the gun off without human interaction? How is the instructor dealing with the aftermath of all this?

You are an extremely lucky guy! Best wishes for a speedy recovery.
    IIRC, you need to rack a belt-fed twice to clear it. You need to clear the round from the chamber, at which point the next round feeds from the de-linker into the chamber, and then you clear that one as well. From the ops story I gather that the bolt was only racked once, leaving 1 round in the gun yet. Also, there are no safeties on 1919's, and the trigger is very easy to "bump" while handling the gun, so I could easily see how this happened.

To the OP, glad to see you're doing well, and thank goodness it was "only a flesh wound" it could have been MUCH, MUCH worse.

Top Bottom