• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • crazyj789

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 23, 2013
    Valparaiso
    Wanting to build a nice Ruger 10/22 with a fluted stainless heavy barrel .920, Blackhawk Axiom stock, Timney Trigger, HD rings and rail with a nice Leupold scope to top it off. I have read a few things about building these rifles but what kind of accuracy would this produce with match grade 22LR ammo? Anyone have a similar build? I already have a nice precision savage model 10ba in 6.5 creedmoor but want to build a 10/22 precision plinker. Thanks in advance

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I'm saving the money to build mine like someone else I know. I will be using a Federson barrel, Kidd trigger, re-worked factory stock. I should be able to ring steel at 300 yards with it. Though I am building it mostly for Appleseed. It will be much more accurate than me.:)

I'll buy optics and mounts from Alan at AA Optics.

TJ Kackowski

Let it begin here.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   1
    Jun 8, 2012
    Hendricks County
    I'm saving the money to build mine like someone else I know. I will be using a Federson barrel, Kidd trigger, re-worked factory stock. I should be able to ring steel at 300 yards with it. Though I am building it mostly for Appleseed. It will be much more accurate than me.:)

I'll buy optics and mounts from Alan at AA Optics.

You sure don't need anything more than Tech Sights and a GI web sling added to a factory Ruger 10/22 to do well at an Appleseed. If you show up with that basic rig and a teachable attitude, you will do very well at an Appleseed.

That being said, I totally understand your desire to fancy up your rifle a bit ... just please don't think that you NEED to do anything to it to do well at an Appleseed.

Similar comment for crazyj789 ... the Ruger 10/22 is crazy accurate right out of the box. All the money you're proposing to spend certainly makes for a fun project and I'm sure a very sweet rifle, but you won't be adding anything to the accuracy if you don't first fix your mechanics.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    10/22's as a rule, do NOT qualify as crazy accurate. Fedderson or Kidd Or Lilja bbl and a Kidd trigger. Some glass bedding in a laminate stock and then it should qualify as crazy accurate. Box Stock? not so much.

Guess it depends on your definition of accurate. I've built a bunch of them up and all of them benefited substantially from some modification.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    You sure don't need anything more than Tech Sights and a GI web sling added to a factory Ruger 10/22 to do well at an Appleseed. If you show up with that basic rig and a teachable attitude, you will do very well at an Appleseed.

That being said, I totally understand your desire to fancy up your rifle a bit ... just please don't think that you NEED to do anything to it to do well at an Appleseed.

Similar comment for crazyj789 ... the Ruger 10/22 is crazy accurate right out of the box. All the money you're proposing to spend certainly makes for a fun project and I'm sure a very sweet rifle, but you won't be adding anything to the accuracy if you don't first fix your mechanics.

Tech sight and a the sling is my current set-up, but the trigger really is quite poor in stock, plastic form. I may just change out the trigger group at first and see how I like it.

Understood. My wife shot it at the Appleseed we did this past fall and did well for her first time shooting. I shot something different. I'm not modifying it so that I can do Appleseed, I just will most likely use it often for Appleseed since I am planning on doing a few more this Summer.

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    Start your journey at RimfireCentral.com. Federson is a forum sponsor and Green Mountain used to be also, may still be. GM was widely thought to be the best bang for the buck for years. KIDD stuff has a great reputation but is kinda' spendy if there are budget constraints. Clark (not Clerke) barrels are also very good. There are a couple of very highly respected guys over there (Que & Randy at CPC) who will rechamber your factory barrel and rework your trigger. CPC also will reface the factory bolt for proper headspace. All the above and more can be found at RFC.

TJ Kackowski

Let it begin here.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   1
    Jun 8, 2012
    Hendricks County
    10/22's as a rule, do NOT qualify as crazy accurate. Fedderson or Kidd Or Lilja bbl and a Kidd trigger. Some glass bedding in a laminate stock and then it should qualify as crazy accurate. Box Stock? not so much.

Guess it depends on your definition of accurate. I've built a bunch of them up and all of them benefited substantially from some modification.

More often than not, I can produce 4 MOA groups with a stock 10/22, Tech Sights, and a GI web sling from prone. The best I've put up is a 2 MOA group. Most of my shooting is done at 25 meters with bulk ammo. Others with more practice can do better with the same set-up.

I consider this to be crazy accurate for a stock rifle ... but, as we all know, YMMV.

TJ Kackowski

Let it begin here.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   1
    Jun 8, 2012
    Hendricks County
    Tech sight and a the sling is my current set-up, but the trigger really is quite poor in stock, plastic form. I may just change out the trigger group at first and see how I like it.

Understood. My wife shot it at the Appleseed we did this past fall and did well for her first time shooting. I shot something different. I'm not modifying it so that I can do Appleseed, I just will most likely use it often for Appleseed since I am planning on doing a few more this Summer.

Cool! I hope to see you and your wife on the line.

x10

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Martinsville, IN
    I think one of the things people forget about on a ruger build, The bolt face, the bolt face varies on these firearms, Mill the bolt face flat and cut the headspace to match the ammo you prefer to shoot,

I shoot alot of Eley Target rifle when I can get it and had my last one cut to .043

shot like a laser

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Cool! I hope to see you and your wife on the line.

Probably will. At least me. We really liked it. I had completely given up on shooting irons since as I have aged, my vision degraded as the years have past. But after some good instruction, I am now ready to try again.

If I can get enough practice, I would even like to use my Garand at least once to see what I could do!:) If it is allowed, that is. If not, I am going to build an AR and if I get it done in time this year, I will try it.

Okay, back to OP intent. Didn't mean to drift the thread.:) But I highly recommend Appleseed to people and I am not the kind of person who recommends much of anything.

flightsimmer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    S.E. Indy
    I put one together using a Volquartsen lightweight carbon fiber barrel and a Volquartsen trigger kit along with a Dragunov stock. I used a 12X airgun scope with adjustable parallax and with all of this I am able to regularly shoot sub-dime sized groups at 75yds indoors (longest I have access too) with regular CCI Mini Mags or most any other ammo I have.
    I can't see handicapping mysef with a heavy barrel when a light one does just fine and is much easier to carry and looks cool to boot.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I dig the old school stuff
    OCOBeab.jpg

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I dig the old school stuff
    OCOBeab.jpg

I like this stock. What is it? I am going to try to do some modifications on my factory carbine stock. I want to cut the barrel band section off and add a contrasting dark wood "cap" to it. I would like to cut the butt of the stock flat and add a recoil pad to lengthen the pull a little but I have not found where anyone has done this. I know you can buy a recoil pad from Midway that works with the curve, but it doesn't look all that great. If I am going to do the amount of work on the stock I have in mind, I am not sure I want an unattractive recoil pad hanging off the butt.

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    More often than not, I can produce 4 MOA groups with a stock 10/22, Tech Sights, and a GI web sling from prone. The best I've put up is a 2 MOA group. Most of my shooting is done at 25 meters with bulk ammo. Others with more practice can do better with the same set-up.

I consider this to be crazy accurate for a stock rifle ... but, as we all know, YMMV.

I've done that with my (still) stock 10/22...couldn't believe it...but it shot that well! That's one reason I haven't messed with it! I bought my first 10/22 back in '93 and it wasn't near as accurate and I traded it! In 2010, I bought my second 10/22, a Stainless barrel in a black, composite stock...with the intent of using ti to 'build' an accurate .22 rifle. But it's dang accurate, so I've left it alone! Some day...

Top Bottom