• ...and so much more!
  • churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I know this will sound horrible but can the mentally ill be cured in sufficient numbers to make funding and treating a worthwhile effort?

I would think it depends on what it is they are suffering. Some melons are just not going to ripen up.
    Doubt that many can be "Cured" only medicated. I am sure someone will be along to set me straight in a minute.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Excellent points. I agree wholeheartedly.

Have you ever noticed how many of these guys have no father? From the everyday Chicago street thug to the middle-class ambush killer...doesn't it seem like a potentially statistically significant number of these dudes grew up without a dad?

I like practical, pragmatic solutions to problems. It's better to do things that work. Strong families breed strong societies. I think that's a truth that has proven itself again and again across human history. We have seen for over 50 years what the extremes of the "baby mama" lifestyle has done to our poorer communities, and that same thinking has taken a solid hold throughout the working and middle classes now.

Couple that with your excellent point about the coddling of modern children, frame it all in an Internet-connected world where the worst among us can easily find validation for their darkest delusions, and...well, you have a recipe for disaster. That's what. The process that produces these monsters is also fed by the false idea that in a free society there is no wrong way to live your life. I think that idea is corrosive to its core. In a free society it should be legal to live your life any way you choose so long as your behavior does not carry undue consequence for others. BUT, that doesn't mean there aren't better, more proven ways to live your life. How do we convince people that the better way to live their lives may not be that way that looks most appealing to them right now?

That's one of the things I learned from my father.

This and also KJ's post.

But in all of this some kids will just not get it no matter how the message is taught. 1st hand experiences here.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    Article 9 of the IN State Constitution:

Section 1. It shall be the duty of the General Assembly to provide, by law, for the support of institutions for the education of the deaf, the mute, and the blind; and for the treatment of the insane.

Shutting down the institutions was unconstitutional...perhaps they needed to be improved upon but not just closed.

ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    I know this will sound horrible but can the mentally ill be cured in sufficient numbers to make funding and treating a worthwhile effort?

Well, I suppose it depends what the current cost is to not treat them. And no, you can't "cure" someone with a mental illness. You can only treat it. People can become functional, but the underlying issues will always be there. It's not like a foreign entity has infected them, like a virus or a bacteria, it's just the way they are put together.

What makes it expensive is the number of people necessary to treat mental illness effectively. I would estimate that if you go any beyond 3 patients per provider, you will begin to see some abuse and neglect. Depending on the severity of symptoms, they can require 24/7 attention.

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville

You can't wave a magic wand and cure a mental illness, but through guidance with therapy, one can learn how to cure them self. It ultimately revolves around the patient being willing to follow guidance, and as they follow through, eventually their illness is cured or lessened to the point of being irrelevant.

There's some more concrete types of mental illness like schizophrenia, which some medications are extremely effective at treating, but from my experiences most mental illnesses aren't that simple.

It's likely cheaper than putting them on disability for life.

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    You can't wave a magic wand and cure a mental illness, but through guidance with therapy, one can learn how to cure them self. It ultimately revolves around the patient being willing to follow guidance, and as they follow through, eventually their illness is cured or lessened to the point of being irrelevant.

There's some more concrete types of mental illness like schizophrenia, which some medications are extremely effective at treating, but from my experiences most mental illnesses aren't that simple.

Sounds like you're discriminating against the mentally ill.
    Why do you hate psychos?

Loonies are people too. :(

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish

That's where the distinction should be drawn maybe. There are mental disorders and then there's **** like schizophrenia. People, especially with some decent help, can overcome disorders, or at least learn to cope with them. But then there are disabling mental diseases that there's just not much help for.

Top Bottom